I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting Rod Re-build
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2011 04:21PM

A friend of mine just gave me this rod to re-build. He wants me to try and put some finish over the original label, re-wrap the guides and make the handle look a little better. This is a custom built rod built in 1964 with the list price still on the label. I put up 3 pictures. Can anyone tell me if these are REC guides?

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting Rod Re-build
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 04:29PM

Depending on what it is used for fish that is Fly spin ??

I would strip it and make an updated rod

Yea they look like Re-coils

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 12, 2011 04:34PM

It's just a regular spinning rod with a full cork handle and metal reel seat on it. He wants to keep the same guides and mainly just wants it cleaned up, re-wrapped etc. He didn't want me to CCS it or anything so adding or moving the guides might be out of the question, although I will ask him. I can save the label by finishing over the top of it, then put guides where they need to be and probably make it better, but I don't know how far he wants to go with it yet. It could use some guide resizing though because the guides that are on it are rather large.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 04:47PM

Looks like a pretty nice rod , back then,lol! but I would like to see it when it is all redone, i think that it would look really nice, tight lines!

Date: August 12, 2011 04:49PM

In 1964, $26.95 was a lot of money for a fishing rod. I have no idea what blank it is. No other lettering or markings to be found.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2011 06:19PM

Very cool project David. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Joe

Date: August 12, 2011 06:21PM

Yeah, same here. I'll post pics when I get it done. It will be a while as I'll be on vaca next week.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2011 07:21AM

Where REC re-coils avalable in 1964?

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 13, 2011 10:06AM

They were probably Foul-Proof guides. Let me know what sizes. I located some at my Dad's awhile back. Schneiders Rods may have some also.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: August 13, 2011 01:02PM

Yep, Mike I took the rod to our rod builder's breakfast this morning and a couple of the guys said that they were indeed Foul-Proof guides. All of them are in good shape. I'm going to ask the customer if he wants me set it up NGC style or just re-wrap as is. If he decides to let me set it up NGC I'll let you know and check with Schneiders Rods.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 13, 2011 01:11PM

That's a great project and a perfect opportunity to put some PermaGloss to work. You'd have to be careful around the lettering, looks like it may be down to no finish in some spots so you wouldn't want to get any PG there. I'd rebuild it exactly like it is, carefully removing the guides, checking the back side of the wrap for color, lightly scuff the blank and put on a couple or three coats of PG and stick those cleaned up guides back on. More time consuming than a new build, but putting some of those old ones back in "like new" condition is a very rewarding accomplishment. If the customer wanted it all changed, why wouldn't he just order a new rod????

Date: August 13, 2011 01:17PM

I think that's a good idea Grant. I haven't tried the PermaGloss but I have used Lumiseal. I have both and also have some spar urethane. I'm just not sure which one would be best to use. I'll probably get some finish over the top of the label and let it dry before I do anything else to the blank itself. It has almost no finish left on it at all. The cork is barely fixable if even at all. I showed him what the x wrap heat shrink looks like and he seemed to think that was a good idea. I'll try and sand, fill, and seal the cork first. Maybe several coats of Tru-Oil after filling the holes will be enough. Not sure on that at this point though.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 13, 2011 07:06PM

Dave:

I just returned home from my Dad's place. All of the Foul Proof guides he has are heavy wire, and large. I am sure they were for a deep sea rod. Let me know how the project turns out. I have 2 old Sila Flex rods that need some attention.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: August 13, 2011 07:08PM

Dave:

I just returned home from my Dad's place. All of the Foul Proof guides he has are heavy wire, and large. I am sure they were for a deep sea rod. Let me know how the project turns out. I have 2 old Sila Flex rods that need some attention.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: August 13, 2011 07:50PM

I've decided just to re-wrap as is. No NGC or resizing of the guides. I'll clean them up and refinish the rod and post pics when I'm done. The only thing that will be updated will be the grips. The customer likes the x wrap, so I'll put that on over the existing grips. Thanks for the help with the guides and the suggestions. Much appreciated.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: George Forster (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 12:35AM

I'd probably coat the decal with CP before putting any finish over it. PG is "hot", and might destroy the label, if left unprotected.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: August 14, 2011 10:08PM

Good idea. Thanks George

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 01:34PM

If you Xwrap that grip you won't need any sealer. Just make sure that your filler has dried completely and been sanded smooth. Use some 3M spray adhesive on it and apply the Xwrap. If you are careful with the cuts, you can fold the wrap around the butt, (adhesive and a bit of heat) and then add the buttcap which should hide your Xwrap cut end. On the front, again, be careful with the cut end, use the smallest diameter wrap that will fit the cork, neatly cut the wrap, add a few trim wraps and run your finish right up to the rim of the cut wrap. If your careful (again!!) the finish will cover the end and you wont feel the edge of the wrap. Just a nice smooth transition from grip to blank. I almost wish I had one of those old ones to redo....very satisfying.

Date: August 15, 2011 01:51PM

I really appreciate all the tips. I used the x-wrap on a catfish rod recently but I didn't use any adhesive underneath. That's a good idea.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster