I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

options for kids rods
Posted by: Rodney Unruh (---.rva.org)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:19PM

Hey Guys,

I need some ideas on blanks for kids rods. I need them to be durable and would really prefer that they be short, something between 6' and 6'6" would be ideal. I intend to build them as fly rods that will be going for small trout. My other criteria is that they be travel blanks, each piece being under 30". What are my options? I am thinking about the Batson 662-4, but would like to know if I have other options. I would love fiberglass if I could get my hands on something like that, but I have not found anything yet. Is there multi-piece fiberglass blanks out there? And as much as I hate to say it, I have a pretty small budget on this as I will be building 4 in one go.

Rodney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: options for kids rods
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:27PM

I don't have a specific blank recommendation but I would go with a longer blank. I've settled on 8ft 5wt for my kids and don't have any regrets. Anything much shorter is asking too much of them from a casting stand point. I've used 2 piece blanks so I can't help you with 4 piece options. I chose 2 piece due to cost figuring that it would eventually get broken and I would not get upset over a $25/30 blank.

Quinn

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2011 03:47PM

I would also suggest a longer blank. They are VERY light and the kids won't have an issue ... I didn't. The Forecast F804-4 would be ideal and the sections are 24" long.

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 07:52PM

I built a spinning rod for my daughter on a pink 9' 8wt. 4 piece blank I bought from roger on ****. She has no problem casting on it and fighting up to 18" largemouths at the local pond has been easy. The blank cost me $22.00 (@#$%&).

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 09, 2011 11:06PM

It is just me and maybe I am a bit slanted here but I would build it as a switch or spey rod. Kids are going to naturally pick it up with both hands, it is easier for them. Let them do it, I only wish that I would have learned spey casting (single or double handed) 20 years ago!

Date: August 10, 2011 11:56AM

Hey Guys, good points on the value of a longer rod. I guess the reason that i shy away from them is how much brush there is stream side. As it is, they have a hard time just getting along the stream, so I figured that a shorter rod would help out in that aspect. Also, it seems that it would be easier to manage the line with out so much rod out there. Is that a correct assumption? I have used short rods on streams for so long that I am not even sure what a longer rod would be like... Is it easier to roll cast with a longer or shorter rod? I do great with my 6'6" 2 wt, but I am open to options.

The reason for multi-piece is that I am overseas and will have to get someone to agree to carry the blanks with them in their luggage for me. So, it is easier to do that if I am not asking them to carry something that is longer than normal airline luggage sizes.

Eric, I let the kids play around with my 2 wt in the yard and also on some of the larger pools. They do much better for casting accuracy/direction of cast (as accurate as a 7 &5 year old can be) when they only use one hand. That second hand on the rod just pulls it the wrong way every time.

Rodney

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 08:10PM

Rodney,
The best option for Kids rods is to go to wall mart or fleet farm and pick up a nice kids fiberglass rod for $10.

Really not a lot of either need or desire on the part of the kids to have any money at all into a childs rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2011 10:21PM

I'll respectfully disagree. I first bought my daughter a 6' $15.00 Shakespeare spin casting outfit at walmart. She actually casts better with the 9' custom I built and has found it easier to hook more sunnies with the faster line pickup of the longer rod. Plus the 9 footer weighs about half as much as the wally world rod. I believe now that even a beginner should have competent equipment. If the beginner finds the outfit easier to use, lighter, and is able to catch more fish that is one more person hooked on fishing and one more person who will always appreciate the value in a custom rod.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 11, 2011 12:13AM

John: I agree with you. I started casting a spinning rod when I was 3 years old. My Dad had me casting in sportsmans shows in So. CaL That was 56 years ago. Good equipment, and good instruction. You can have the best of the best rods, and without good instruction on how to use it, you might as well have a $15.00 Shakespeare. Buy a $15.00 Shakespeare and then get good instruction on how to use it, and you will soon out grow it. I still have the Sila-Flex rod that I started casting with 56 years ago. I cleaned it up a while back, and took it out in the back yard to cast. It still works very well.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: August 11, 2011 08:46AM

I could have my parents pick up something at Wal-mart and hand carry it to me out here when they come to visit at Christmas, but I would rather build something for the kids.

Well, I was really hoping that some of you guys were aware of some blanks that I had missed as I look for an appropriate blank for the kids rods. Anyways, thanks for the input as I really do appreciate it.

Rodney

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2011 10:47AM

How about these. Good price and pretty colors [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 12, 2011 02:25PM

Good luck Rodney!

Bill he wants travel rods not 1 pc.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster