I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide placement for Batson 6' 6" 2 weight
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 03:12AM

I finished wrapping a Batson 6' 6" 2 weight, 2 piece blank using the manufactures recommended guide spacings:

4.0 light wire tip top
1st #2 (all light wire single foot guides) 4"
2nd #2 8.5"
3rd #2 13.5"
4th #3 19"
5th #3 25"
6th #4 32"
7th #4 40"
8th #12 XLXNZG ALPS stripper 50"

For simplicity & saving some time, I figured the recommended spacing should be decent (I know a few of you experienced folks are chuckling). Based on Batson's recommended guide placement scheme the 7th guide at 40" falls just above where the blanks joint at the base of the tip section and I had to move it up and wrap it about 1/2" above this point. It looks weird being located just above this critical joint, especially on a two piece rod.

Anyone who has built on this fairly common blank, did you find a better guide spacing scheme? Eugene Moore if you catch this, what would you recommend for the number of guides and spacing based on the progressive system you posted?

Thanks for all of your help and input. I'm gradually getting there. I have two, higher end blanks that I will take the time to figure out all of this custom spacing stuff. Otherwise, this rod looks good. I don't mind having to re-wrap it. I look forward to being able to apply the wrapping epoxy once this heat & humidity breaks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide placement for Batson 6' 6" 2 weight
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 08:07AM

Nothing wrong with incorporating a guide wrap with a ferrule wrap, I do it all the time

Ron Weber

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: August 06, 2011 10:38AM

Hi Peter, I haven't been building long, but I have a few pointers. I built this exact rod using REC recoil rsf guides. I performed a static test, measured AA, and found the blanks ERN. I believe it is of utmost importance to do these tests. I will look through that rod's file for the ERN and AA my blank had. Really important to me for the proper line weight for the rod. Also all those guide sizes aren't necessary. Find one that will pass your knots and stick with that size above the stripper. Hope this helped.

1st #1 4"
2nd #1 8.5"
3rd #1 13.5"
4th #1 18.25"
5th #1 23.75"
6th #1 29.75"
7th #1 38"
8th #8 amtac titan 50"

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 06, 2011 05:42PM

Peter,
7 guides
distance from tip 4.1 9.0 15.0 22.4 31.2 42.0 55.2
Top (3) guides #1 light wire Recoil titanium single foot
Next (2) guides #2 single foot (steel acceptable titanium better )
Next guide #3 snake
Stripper guide #10 ALOX

Probably fine using the manufacturers guide spacing
Guide sizes seem a little large for a 2 weight.
Light trout rods really don't require that extra guide
I prefer the rod quick and light.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 10:28PM

How come so close to the reel seat with the stripper guide?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster