I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

clear thread???
Posted by: Ray DeCraene (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 03:52PM

I don't want the thread to show on the rod. I want the guides to look like thy are just sitting on the rod with no thread just the clear finish. Any ideas? I was thinking white silk and no CP, is that the way to go or is there a better way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clear thread???
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 03:59PM

I've never tried it but I seem to remember an article about threadless wraps from a while back. Maybe someone with a better memory will chime in on this one.
But OO silk and no CP will get you there as well.

Posted by: Christopher Duncan (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 04:00PM

I have been playing around with some white pearl thread...it's almost translucent without CP and after epoxy...i wanted something similar to you, but with the pearl effect under the epoxy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2011 04:18PM

RodMaker Volume 9 #6 - Threadless Guide Wraps [www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Posted by: Joel Barnett (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 04:19PM

When you do a clear or threadless wrap, do you skip guide prep, or do you repaint guide feet after prepping?

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 05:01PM

This link may be helpful to you:

[www.rodbuildingforum.com]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 05:53PM

I do this type of wrap with following process: prep guides as normal (if black touch up with a sharpie) wrap with Pearsall's white Gossamer thread, apply first coat of epoxy thinned to water like consistency, allow to cure for 2 days, apply final coat of regular epoxy.

Mine have turned out crystal clear, and have even had some refuse to believe I used thread.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 06:06PM

Gossamer or Naples white silk. Two-part epoxy, first coat thinned, second coat uncut. Do test wraps to learn the process.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Here's a link to the thread ... [www.jsflyfishing.com]

Posted by: Ray DeCraene (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 07:18PM

Thanks for all the info. That is the look I want the rod to have.

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.139.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 07:38PM

Follow-up question.... What is the preferred solvent with which to thin 2part epoxy?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2011 07:45PM

Most epoxy formulators don't recommend thinning a solids based epoxy - it can change certain long term characteristics of the product. However, if you must, you want a highly volatile solvent that will evaporate and leave the mix quickly. Acetone is a good one in that regard,

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 05, 2011 08:01PM

I use denatured alcohol, thats why I let it cure 2 days as it slows down the curing.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 03:06PM

What is the process for adding the acetone to the epoxy?

Mix the epoxy and then add the acetone?

Or, add the acetone to either the resin or hardener and then mix the two parts?

Thanks in advance,
Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2011 04:40PM

Don -

I use DNA, just like Phil. I like the slow cure ... it allows good penetration of the silk fibers and I keep it on my bench all the time. I also let it cure for a couple of days before applying the second coat (uncut) to finish the rod. I use a motorized mixer to blend. I allow the epoxy to blend for 3 minutes, add the DNA and mix for two more. That works for me, so I don't change it. Other methods may work just fine as well.

Jim -

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: August 07, 2011 03:03AM

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your help.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 03:04AM by Donald Becker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster