I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drawing a line
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:07PM

Does anyone have any method or ideas for drawing a line straight down a rod blank? My idea was that if I could draw such a line it would make lining up the reel seat and all the guides and tip much easier then eyeballing everything. Since a rod blank is tapered I don't think just lying a long ruler along the blank will work. It would be off to one side. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drawing a line
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:12PM

Do the eyeball and rock and roll.

DR

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-201-22.myvzw.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:17PM

If you don't want to do the eyeball thing then you may want to consider a laser for your wrapper. I believe eyeballing it would be easier and certainly cheaper.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:19PM

I made one with scrap wood and a piece of 1" alum. angle iron. Using my dremel tool with router attachment I routed a 1/4in groove on the on one side of the board that the rod will lay in. Then attach another board at right angle. You can then lay the rod in the groove and place the angle iron on top and backed up to the board. I had to put a shim on the backside of the angle iron to get it to line up on center. This works great as a rod clamp also. I just use a sharpie to write on the blank. It comes off easy enough with alcohol

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:29PM

I always get the light that i have that shines down on the rod and follow the line that the light makes on the rod, it makes lining up the guides easier and when i tweak them before i epoxy it makes that also easier. Tight lines!

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:32PM

Go to the hardware store and buy a laser leveler that they use for hanging pictures. It will shoot a straight line when laid on the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 02:39PM

I put the handle and seat on then line the top with that then line the rest with the top

maybe you could tape a bright colored thread or fly line to the seat and line them up that way.

After the guides are on I go outside -- better light ---and adjust them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 03:29PM

Bought this

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 04:03PM

I would think that for the laser thing to work your blank would have to be very straight. The one's I'ved use aren't.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:18PM

I eyeball everything also, but as my eyes get older I have thought about getting or making a center finder like the one Barry Thomas has. There was an article on makeing one of these in RodMaker Vol. 12-5.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:22PM

I bought one of those and almost never use it. I never could hold it just right to get a good line. It's probably just me, but it may take some practice. You have to secure the blank down to a flat surface and hold it very vertically straight while working with it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 07:06PM

I just chuck the blank in the lathe and mark as needed

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2011 07:49PM

That is what I was going to suggest only you can make one out of a piece of scrap wood about 2 1/2- 3 inches square. drill a 1/4 inch hole in opposite corners with a little piece of dowell pins in each one. Drill a center hole large enough for a china marker. Place over rod blang, twist so both dowell pins touch the rod and bingo, just slide down the blank.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 10:57PM

Yeah bill but if you let it lean ever so much one way or another your line will not be straight. I made one out of scrap oak, it looks exactly like the one Barry Thomas linked to except you can't see through the oak. I can get a pretty good line with it but not good enough to place the guides. Besides that 95% of what I build is spiraled.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: August 05, 2011 10:48AM

Where there is a need, someone on this site always designs a way. Someone up to the challenge. I eye ball mine in the end but during the process I use the light mounted above method.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 06, 2011 11:41AM

James Newsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think that for the laser thing to work
> your blank would have to be very straight. The
> one's I'ved use aren't.

I think the laser would show just how "not straight" alot of blanks really are.

I eyeball it...that does not answer your question.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster