I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brake pads?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 06:12PM

I know this is off the subject of rods, but I had heard 2 different ways off taking care off the brake pads in reels, someone told me to put a little grease on them and the other said just wipe them down and no oil or grease, now I have a couple of new reels, and want to know if any of you have any feedback on this subject cause all I ever did was wipe them down with alcohol or soap and water and they worked pretty good, but if there is a better way why not do that. have a good one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake pads?
Posted by: Allan Armacost (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 07:39PM

I've always been told to wipe them clean and then put some grease on them then lightly wipe it off, basically leaving a fine light coating of grease.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 08:25PM

That would rest entirely on what drag material you are speaking of and what type of grease are you going to use. When I use greased drags, it is generally made of carbon fiber ( carbotex) and the only grease that I use is Cal's grease. Shimano drag grease is also suitable but Cals is the best. I spread it on both sides sparingly and then wipe off the excess. Cals grease is sold by Cal Sheets.

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 09:21PM

i think hes talking about the cast control brakes. in which case i think you want them clean and dry. if talking about the drag, yes it depends on the material of the drag discs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 09:22PM by cody delmere.

Date: August 01, 2011 09:29PM

Thanks I will need to know about both kinds of drag the cast control and the main drag, I guess the cast control drag is in the cast control knob on the side of the reel, and the ,main drag is in under the gears, on mine it is, Thanks again, for when it is time to clean and grease the reels, and for the spinning reels I guess it is the same, like the main drag in the casting reels. Have a good one everyone.

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 10:25PM

Do NOT grease canvas washer type drags.. You'll be sorry. Now the carbon fibers and the HT-100 style drags.. Grease the crap out of them and wipe them down really well, so the grease is imprgenated into them, not oozing out.. Trust me, you'll appreciate a smooth drag when you do this.

Date: August 02, 2011 12:26AM

John, how do I tell teh difference between the canvas washer and the carbon and the HT100 style drags?

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 02:26AM

Generally the canvas ones are usually like a white color. Sort of a very stiff canvas like material. The carbon fiber drags sorta look like well.. carbon fiber.) Check out alantani.com He has tons of info on fixing and servicing reels.

Regards,

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 02, 2011 04:48AM

Hi Lorenzo,
There is another way to maintain them - take them out, but you need to be reasonably profecient to use it. If you leave them in leave them dry as you don't what anything to hinder them from sliding. Grease would also limit their effect as it would reduce the friction that makes them work.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 04:58AM

Dry on the casting control parts. If you want to do more polish the pins they slide on.

Drag washers were generally run dry in the past. Greased carbon is now common. Just make sure to use the right grease. You would never want to have regular grease on any drag washer...period.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Rick Vohden (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 05:53AM

if you are going to grease the drags, make sure you use grease that is meant for it. most greases will clump, degrade, and get sticky with enough friction and heat in a drag. my recommendation is to use Cal's Drag Grease

[www.charkbait.com]

Date: August 02, 2011 08:30AM

So the grease I use for the gears won't do for the carbon fiber drag washers?, I will make note of that. Thanks.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 02, 2011 08:34AM

Nope. Only two options I know of. Cal's and Shimano. You will have sticker shock when you see the price. Be careful when greasing other eel parts in the area of the drag. Best to grease those with Cal's too.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 09:45AM

Lorenzo, I don't want to offend you... but regarding the nature of your questions...you may want to leave the service of your reels to someone more familiar with this practice.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 02, 2011 10:03AM

As far as I know drag washers like HT 100 require NO grease , as they are made from the same stuff as clutch plates for motor vehicles and those DO NOT require grease either . As for old style drag washers ie. leather , felt , canvas , a drop of oil or a dab of grease is fine . There are two types of drag washers DRY & WET when you open the reel you can tell the difference , and do accordingly. Just remember "KEEP DRAGS LOOSE WHEN NOT IN USE" this avoids "flat spots" & "footprints" which hinder drag capabilities that could cause loss of a "trophy" "GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING" Larry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 12:06PM

Lorenzo,
1. If you don't have the right information about your reel, don't open it. Let a qualified service center service the reel.
2. Reel drag washers come in different designs.
3. Reels that have washers needing no lubrication, need to have their washers kept very clean of any contamination. If there is ANY lube ore grease on this style washers, the drag will stick very badly.
4. If you have a reel that needs grease on the drag washer, be sure to use ONLY the correct grease.

Bottom line - follow the instructions of your service manual for your particular reel to the letter.

Smooth drags all of the time.

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 02, 2011 12:32PM

FWIW, carbon drag washers can be run dry. Many of the reels companies tell you to run them dry. Those of us that fish salt water found greasing them does two nice things. One, it reduces start up torque and gives a smoother overall drag. Two, on lever drag reels it prevents corrosion of the spool.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster