I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Bond and graphite mix?
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 01:15PM

Since i have to use a lot of Rod Bond to fill in about 0.100" (2.5mm) betweeen the blank and the reel seat, I was wondering if I can mix graphite powder/granules in the Rod Bond to make it stronger and lighter. Good? Bad? Has anybody did that?
Do not want to use shims or arbors to fill in the gap. Have done the same for other applications (not using Rod Bond and not for rods) and worked very well.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond and graphite mix?
Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 01:33PM

Danny, adding graphite to rodbond mix will not hurt anything. You could also add chopped fiberglass. All you are doing by adding something to the mix is to lighten it up a little. You will want to wrap some tape at either end of the blank where the reel seat lives to make sure it is centered up unless the fore and butt grips will do this on your installation.

Posted by: John Britt (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 01:41PM

I think if you were to contact Ralph at Trondack he would not recommend adding to Rod Bond , nothing you add to it will make it stronger just my opinion

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 01:59PM

I could be wrong but would it be lighter with the arbors and the thiner coat of rod bond ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2011 02:01PM

It will not make it stronger. RodBond is not a gap filling adhesive.

The proper method is to use shims or bushings to take up any space between the items.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 01, 2011 02:04PM

As other said....not a good idea. By using so much epoxy you are adding weight. Then you have the matter of how to keep the grip centered. Just use some drywall mesh tape. Or masking tape if that is all you have.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.sub-174-252-115.myvzw.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 02:26PM

The best way is to use an arbor. It appears you are concerned with weight so why not a foam arbor? It's like adding stones to cement. You use less cement but still have the weight.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: August 01, 2011 02:58PM

The foam arbor is impractical since the ID is 0.505 "(blank dia) and the OD is 0.695" (reel seat ID). That is a difference of 0.200" total, divided by 2 the wall is 0.100".
Both ends of the reel seat (Alps aluminum) will be supported by flanges for 1/2" inside between the blank and the reel seat. The only space left is about 4 1/2" long and 0.100" that I have to fill in.

Recycle electrons.

Date: August 01, 2011 03:11PM

Make a spiralled wrap of D size thread and adhere the seat over that.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: August 01, 2011 03:34PM

Or glue a foam arbor in place inside the reel seat, and ream the foam to size. You can get pretty tight tolerances that way.

Date: August 01, 2011 03:39PM

You can get larger arbors and sand them down to fit the seat

Don't over think this it is not hard if you can wright your name you can build a rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 04:52PM

Danny,
Actually a very good idea.
Folks use micro spheres all of the time as a filler when working with either resin or epoxy glue of various sorts.
You can mix any of these microshperes with rod bond or other types of glues. Normally, the spheres work better if the base epoxy is of the fairly runny variety, so that all of the spheres get well coated when mixing.

You can reduce the overall weight of a filled area by many times by use of these microspheres. By adding these microshperes to the glues, it also makes the area easy to sand and shape.

One thing that I did for another type of activity that I used the epoxy and spheres was to either use clear saran wrap, or the use of clear sealing tape to contain and shape the filled area

[www.fiberglasssupply.com]

I would NOT suggest that you se graphite for a filler but rather, use one of the afore mentioned microshperes which are about 50% air for lighter weight.

As I suggested earlier, be sure to use a thinner epoxy that will completely coat the microshperes, and be sure to mix long enough so that you have a uniform mix before applying. No dry spots please in your mix.

These microshperes are used by hundreds of folks every day in many different industries, and model shops to get their jobs done in minimum time, with minimum work and maximum cost effectiveness.

Be safe
Roger

Date: August 01, 2011 05:01PM

Never heard of the micro spheres but will check it out. What if I make my own graphite foam and fill in the gap? Is it hard to make it?

Recycle electrons.

Posted by: John Britt (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 05:17PM

And old reply from Ralph as true today as when he first posted this
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: September 28, 2002 04:40AM

Ed

You won't make your epoxy (or any resin polymer or otherwise) stronger by adding fillers of any kind. There are fillers that will make the resin more flexible, fillers that will make it more brittle, fillers to withstand abrasion, fillers to increase the compressive strength --- fillers for just about anything you can think of EXCEPT make it stronger. Any of the fillers will basically weaken the epoxy as far as tensile strength or shear strength of the bond.

Any epoxy you purchase on the retail shelves has been adjusted with fillers to do the job for which it is marketed. Any addition of fillers or anything else will simply degrade the product, not improve it Tungsten added to epoxy will improve the compressive strength, but the amount added must be adjusted to the existing filler. If you know what the filler is in the epoxy you are using and the percentage, you may be able to add another filler and you may not. Rod Bond is best left as received for ANY application on rod or gun.

Ralph

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 06:29PM

I agree with wrapping some D thread on there. It sounds like you might even have room for one wrap of mesh tape. I recently put a reel seat on a rod with a large butt OD where an arbor or shim was out of the question. I had just enough room for 1 wrap of self-stick drywall mesh tape. Came out great. Simple and fast, excellent adhesion.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: August 01, 2011 06:54PM

For those who might not know, Ralph O'Quinn is the formulator of RodBond.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.sub-174-254-178.myvzw.com)
Date: August 01, 2011 09:31PM

I have used foam arbors in a similar situation and reamed it out to less than .100 . Perfect fit .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 02, 2011 08:27AM

It is so much easier to glue the arbors inside first then ream them out. There has been many times where I know I barely have any of the arbor left after reaming. With the foam type arbors you can buy now, they ream out very easily, so gluing them in first helps alot when reaming them.

Date: August 02, 2011 12:11PM

Will give it a shot with the foam arbors. My fear is not to ream dead center and have the reel seat off center.

Recycle electrons.

Date: August 02, 2011 12:23PM

They sand Real Easy so be careful and don't try to take too much out too fast - Check often

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster