I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallmouth Fever need a blank
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.132.---)
Date: July 31, 2011 12:58PM

I have read every post I can find on smallmouth blanks. I need to build a spinning rod for smallmouth on the Root River on SE Minnesota. I usually use 1/8th oz jigs with a plastic grub and 6 lbs. fireline. I am thinking about a St. Croix 3S63MLXF, 3S69MLXF or 5S69MLXF, but I am open to suggestion. Fish will average 14"-16" with an occasional 20" fish.

Thanks Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallmouth Fever need a blank
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 01:35PM

My favorite blank for that technique is a 3S66LF (FWIW, I use 6 lb. mono., not braid). Anyway, this rod will cast an 1/8 oz. jig-head and grub a really long ways, and has enough backbone to land some pretty big smallies (as long as there's no cover to deal with).

If there's cover to deal with, I'll step up to the 3S69MLXF and 8 lb. mono. I can't cast quite as far with 1/8 oz., but the extra backbone gives me just enough power to move fish away from cover.

Like you, I've been recently trying to get my river smallmouth tackle really dialed in. I use two spinning rods--a 3S66LF with 6 lb. mono. for grubs and 1/8 oz. shaky heads, and a 3S69MLXF with 8 lb. mono. for 4" tubes. I use one casting rod--an MHX SJ843 with 10 lb. mono. for jig/pigs or bigger plastics (i.e. mostly a baby-brush hog with 1/4 oz. weight and 3/0 hook). I use all three rods, but I mostly use the SJ843 for bigger plastics. It seems like the bigger plastics attract the bigger fish.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2011 02:52PM

Jim,

One of my favorite techniques is swimming grubs on 1/8-1/4oz. jigs, and my favorite rod for that is a Batson RX8+S822.5. The closest thing to that rod on your list is the 5S69MLXF, which would probably be a good choice.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2011 04:16PM

Count me with Joe
Batson RX8+S822.5.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: July 31, 2011 04:53PM

I like a Popping blank rated for 1/4 - 1/2oz. lure. A lighter blank (probably high modulus) will tend to be more sensitive, which you want for jigs.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 05:18PM

I prefer longer rods and my choice is 3S76MLXF.

jeremy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2011 05:43PM

The 66MLF would be an all around better choice than the other St. Croix's you mentioned, in my opinion.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 08:15PM

Fishing partner and I "designed" a spinning rod for smallies just for the applications mentioned above and we start with a St. Croix 5S66MLF blank . Works great with 1/8 oz jig heads with grubs, small Ikas, spider grubs and swimming weightless, nose hooked Super Fluke Jrs. It's our go to set up for our group's annual week long, spring, Maine, smallmouth trips.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 02:35PM

NO CONTEST!!

I live between 2 of the best loctic smallmouth fisheries in the US....

Batson 802.75 and I'll tell you why....

I mainly build smallmouth rods and with your lure specs and fish size the 802.75 is PERFECT for you. LOTS more backbone than the 822.5 and you'll need that, trust me you will!!!! The 822.5 just doesn't have the backbone you'll need to BURY that hook in a LARGE smallie. The mouth of an 18"-24" smallie is one tough hunk of meat, and the added backbone will treat you well when you need to move that fish for one reason or another. Now I know that 1/8" jigs carry fine wire hooks for the most part, but I suspect that you'll use more than a 1/8oz jig on your water(s). I know I carry the kitchen sink and it's nice to have a rod that will do many tasks, amd the 802.75 is that rod. LIGHT tip, locks up FAST and has the backbone to land a 45" Musky. Need I say more? :-)

DR

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.132.---)
Date: August 01, 2011 02:54PM

Thanks for all the replies. Might have to build a couple of rods. Oh darn!

Jim

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2011 05:52PM

Jim there are lots of rods for this. If you want to go a bit cheaper blank try a 2S66MF or
my buddy likes the 2S66 or 70 MLF. it has a 4-10 lb. line rating rating
I also have a 3S66MF it's another great choice, again at 6-12 lb. rating a bit stiffer than the ...MLF.
The ...MLF will probably throw 1/8 oz. jigs better but you'll have a bit more power with the ..MF.
For your casting rod a 3C68MXF is a very nice rod, light & plenty of backbone rod - very similar to the 802.75
I fish a lot of Senkos for smallies in N.H.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2011 12:30AM

I'd say the 66MLF or 70MLF would be my first choice for what your looking for. In fact I was just using my SC5 66MLF (built as casting rod) this evening and was chucking 3" yum dingers on an 1/8oz. head to river smallies. Pick your price point from SC III, IV, or V blanks. Stay away from the light action croixs for this, they really are better suited for small creek fishing, not much backbone.

I have 2 SC3 69MLXF spinning rods, I love these rods and use them for 1/4oz. hair jigs in winter and 4-5" weightless plastics most of the year. I'll agree that this rod doesn't load as well w/ 1/8oz.. heads, 3/16 to 1/4 oz. seems to be the sweet spots. The 68MXF is also an excellent rod and I used my factory Avid and now my factory Elite for tubes mostly. TBH I'm finding that in the Elite/SC5 blank, the 68MXF will do everything my SC3 69MLXF rods will do and more. These SC XF rods are just that, very fast tips, and aren't as versatile as the fast actions IMHO.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.sttl.static.dslblast.com)
Date: August 05, 2011 01:40PM

I few build suggestions you may find useful.

RX8+S822.5
Rainshadow RX8+ Bass Rods

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # RX8+S822.5-SB 6'10" 1 pc 6-12lb - Satin Black
Butt cap: EVABC20 EVA Butt Cap 19.8 mm
Reel Seat: GS17SKC-TC WITH GS17C-GWG Size 17 Spin seat with Gray Woven Graphite Insert threads down
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/WG Proof Board .515" OD 3.0" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS17-TC Trim Ring for Seat Size 17 - TiCH
Fore Grip: WFG2.5 Woven Foregrip 2.232" Length
Use with WFGRC, WFGFC, and WFGPB - EVA End Caps and Shim
Rear Grip: WHGRY-10 cut to 9" 10" Woven Graphite Handle-Gray (1.05" OD / .970" ID)
Use with WHKAx3, WBBC, and WFGRC - EVA End Caps and Shims
Winding Check: LTCWC395 Lt TitCar Plated Winding Check 0.395" I.D.
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top TCPCT06F04.5 TICH w/o Chrome Plated 'P' Top 06 TiCH Flanged Ring 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
6th XTCYTCG16 36"
7th XTCYTCG25 45"

XSB802.75
Rainshadow RX8 Bass Spin

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XSB802.75-TC 6' 8" 1pc 6-15lb 3/16-5/8oz X-Bass
Butt Cap: HESGFB1.5S-350 1.5" High End Splitgrip Super Grade ID .350"
Trim: AWCCO472 (463 is just tight) Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HESGFB1.5S-350
Split Grip: HEFG3.5S-250 3.5" High End Foregrip Super Grade ID .250"
Trim: AWCCO453-TC Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HEFG3.5S-250
Reel Seat Body: BPSTG16 "Textured Gray Graphite Reel Seat Body
-Place back of reel seat 9"" inches up from butt threads down"
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cushion Single Nut - TiCH Coated Chrome
Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for thread side of Spin Seat size 16 TiCH
Fore Grip: None
Winding Check: FABWC10.5-TC Rubber winding check for front of #16 seat
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT06R05.0 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
7th XTCYTCG16 36"
8th XTCYTCG25 45"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster