I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod overloaded?
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 31, 2011 12:44PM

I fish for anything anywhere, but my heart belongs to surf fishing. I throw a lot of 8oz n bait rods, and this got me thinking. When we are using a rod designed to throw 8oz there are more times than not that a big fish cant come close to loading the rod fully, the extra power is for casting. When watching some video of some top surf casters I was really paying attention to how the rod was loaded. More often than not the rod is what we would call overloaded during the cast, the rod tips were bent well past 90 degress to the butt. Now I have been into long distance tournament casting for a couple years and am a decent caster myself. I have photos of my tournament rods being "overloaded" during the casts or at least by the looks of it over loaded. Yet I can say for sure that the rods still had plenty to offer power wise. Anyway question at hand would be when rating a surf rod for casting weight where would you stop your ratings with bend of the rod? What if the rod performed better at a heavier weight yet it was bent past 90 degrees during the cast?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod overloaded?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 01:39PM

I think a lot depends on your casting style. Some guys really whip the rod and some start a little slower and let the rod start to load before really laying into the cast. I'm not a surf caster so I can't answer your questions other than to suggest you already know what is best for you.

I am curious about casting compared to fish fighting. I have always said we put more of a load on a rod casting it than fishing it. Let me ask you this; what line class are you fishing when casting 8 and bait? Have you ever casted weights near that range without any shock leader? I have always felt the shock leader needed to be near 10# test for every ounce. I have broken 20# test casting a couple of ounces yet I'd never break it (on the same rod) with a hookset. Maybe it has something to do the short amount of time the blank is asked to handle it? To me, the slow motion pics I see, suggest way more abuse than most high stick conditions.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 01:45PM

Having had to rate and still am rating surf blanks for casting weight I do it the "tried and true" method. I test cast with weights in 1/2 oz incriments and see how little it will cast and how much until it "goes soft" ! Say I have a blank that casts on the low side 3/4 but will throw 5oz ok on the high side but it goes soft at 5 1/2 oz. I'll rate the rod 3/4 -4. I'll also take the time to find a sweet spot and make note of that. I like to underate a bit only because guys will push rods at times.. at least I know I have!! Overloaded at least to me means the blank no longer has the abilty to cast the weight it's being asked to comfortable. Might not be the breaking point but it's no longer effective or able to cast the weight!!

Date: July 31, 2011 03:52PM

John Martines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having had to rate and still am rating surf blanks
> for casting weight I do it the "tried and true"
> method. I test cast with weights in 1/2 oz
> incriments and see how little it will cast and how
> much until it "goes soft" ! Say I have a blank
> that casts on the low side 3/4 but will throw 5oz
> ok on the high side but it goes soft at 5 1/2 oz.
> I'll rate the rod 3/4 -4. I'll also take the time
> to find a sweet spot and make note of that. I like
> to underate a bit only because guys will push rods
> at times.. at least I know I have!! Overloaded at
> least to me means the blank no longer has the
> abilty to cast the weight it's being asked to
> comfortable. Might not be the breaking point but
> it's no longer effective or able to cast the
> weight!!
Hey John give me a call sometime, need to talk to you

704-798-0386

Date: July 31, 2011 03:59PM

Russell,
In tournament casting settings I topped out at 670 something feet. I have had some casts longer than that but they wasnt official. In the world of most fisherman I am an above average caster, in the world of distance casting I am average to slightly over average at best. I use 17lb sufix tritanium on an 8n bait rod with a 50lb shock leader. As far as casting styles go, in slow out fast is "correct" technique. Anyway this is just a curiousity

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 04:20PM

I really beleive that we do put more pressure on a rod casting more then fighting fish and with surf casting that is mostly true. The only thing about that is the only constant is the or can be the casted weight, The fishes weight and fighting strength can change from a guppy to a whale... Chuck I'll buzz you up later!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster