I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on Spiral wraps
Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 09:22AM

I am curious to know if you Bass guys or others who use baitcasting type reels see a downside to sprial wraps. I can find nothing negative other than appearance to some and only positive things about spiral wrapped rods. Are there any instances where the spiral wrapped rods will not perform as good or better than a conventional wrapped rod? I have switched all my baitcasting rods over to spiral wraps based on the science of the spiral wrap rods. Since I use them mostley for trolling and once in a while for casting, I can't decide if I have really gained anything other than they do seem to be less tireing to the wrist and arms when trolling. About the only comments I get on them are that some who have never seen one before ask if I had been drinking when I wrapped them!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on Spiral wraps
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 09:58AM

I myself built a spiral on a heavy power fast action rod, for Pitchin and flippin, and thats the only reason I would think to do that, other then them guys who do a lot of heavy duty fishing, but that is just the way I think about it, I really haven't caught anything big on it, but it does cast as well as my other rods that I have built the guides on top. I am thinking of building one on a Med Heavy fast action rod, but still am trying to decide. have a good one.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 10:06AM

Love the spiral wrap for all bass rods. I build spiral for stability.

Only con I can see is getting them in and out of rod lockers: more difficult/takes more care.

DR

Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: July 31, 2011 10:42AM

So can someone tell me what a spiral wrapped rod is... Sorry im a rookie LOL

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 11:13AM

This should help []

Also try the search function in the red bar for plenty of info on them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 11:14AM

Terry, for trolling, I could not think of anyting better than having the rod spiral wrapped. Did one for a friend one time where he used a rod with long leadcore lines and he never had the problem with the reel flipping under the rod any more.

Casey, sprial wrap is for casting syle rods, where the guides start out on the same side of the reel and then transition to the bottom of the rod for most of its length. A conventional wrapped rod when under load, the od will want to spin because of the forces applied with the guides on top. With the guides on the bottom the rod will not spin on you at all.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2011 11:18AM

I really like spirals for bass fishing. There really isn't much difference performance wise. The technique the rod is used for can influence whether you want guides on top, or on the bottom. For tip up techniques, the line spends most of its time in the bottom of the ring, why not just put the guides on the bottom? For tip down techniques, the line spends most of its time in the top of the ring, if you point the rod at the lure, so a conventional build may be in order. In the end, it really boils down to personal preference on bass rods, as we aren't in a prolonged fight with the fish, and rarely lift straight up on the fish. So, the fish fighting aspects are not the top priority. Instead, for bass fishing, the goal is to make a rod that is comfortable to fish with, catching is secondary. At least that is how I approach things.

Casey,

A spiral wrap takes the line from the top of the rod to the bottom of the rod. There are many different guide placement methods to do this, and each has its pros and cons. Do a search, including all dates for spiral on the forum, and you will be reading for quite a while.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2011 12:27PM

Terry,
Yes, in the eyes of some fishermen, there is a downside to spiral wraps.

Many folks who use a rod for tip down fishing - i.e. jerk baiting, as well as Musky fishermen who use the rods for figure 8s at the boat, with the tip down typically prefer a conventionally wrapped casting rods.

I have built several casting rods using spiral wrapped guides that came back to be rewrapped in a conventional manner.

I have also - for the same fishermen, rebuilt some conventional wrapped casting rods, to be rebuilt into a spiral wrapped configuration, when these rods are used in the classic tip up configuration.

So, rods, as any good tools can be very specialized and the right tool for the job at hand does the job the best.

Safe wraps.

Roger

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 05:21PM

I find a spiral wrap with a baitcaster much easier to reel in Salmon/Steelhead over a spinning or fly reel. And with a baitcaster, I can land the offering more precisely where I want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 05:22PM by Tim Collins.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2011 07:04PM

Roger,

I do my share of both jerkbait fishing and musky fishing. Nothing but spiral wrapped for me. I'm curious what the angers reasons were for not liking the spiral in both cases?

Sorry for the quick hijack....

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster