I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Erik Rasmussen (---.169.133.16.provo.static.broadweavenetworks.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 03:13AM

I'm looking to build my first fly rod. I am really looking for a 7 foot, 4 weight rod blank with a slow action (something like the Orvis Superfine full flex rods but with a more reasonable price tag for a first build). It seems like all the blanks I see are fast or moderate/fast action. Anyone know where I can find something like this? Also, I have a buddy who is looking for the same thing but in the 9 foot range.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 05:46AM

mudhole mhx, but like you said they are mod/fast......great blank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 05:52AM by don morse.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 09:36AM

For your first build, I'd go with something a fair bit cheaper. Personally, I really like the Batson RX7, Pac Bay Tradition/Rainforest, and Amtak. MHX makes awesome blanks, but they'll be a tad more expensive. To get exactly what you're looking for, you may have to really spend some major $$$$. You can build a great rod on these brands mentioned above, and the total cost will be pretty cheap. Then, once you've built a few rods, take a stab at the pricey blanks. (Personally, I've found that the less expensive blanks are every bit as good as those big names; I quit even bothering with the big names).

If you want a more moderate action 7' 4 wt., you can buy a 7' 2wt, or a 7' 3 wt., and then put a 4 wt. line on it.

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 09:51AM

Erik,
Many of the older hollow fiberglass fly rods were considerably slower in action than the newer graphite rods. You might check out flea markets for a rod to strip and rebuild - they're typically quite inexpensive and you get a chance to "feel" the blank action before committing to it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 10:36AM

Many of the high end slow blanks are really quite normally built in action, just light in power for the factory rating given. Anyone can do the same with any blank. If the factories can call them anything they like ,you can too.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 12:04PM

Try the Batson RX6 line, they are very good quality and not expensive. You may have trouble finding a 4wt as short as 7 ft.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2011 12:24PM

Lamiglas offers a glass blank series and TFO has the Finesse series. I would start looking at those as possibilities.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.18.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 12:31PM

Check out the MHX F704-3. It;s listed as a mod/fast but I have feeling you'll be very pleased with that choice. It may not be the cheapest blank on the market but when you compare apples to apples and feature to feature, I think you'll actually come out ahead.
I started cheap and don't even fish that rod anymore, matter of fact I haven't fished it in over 3 years.

Posted by: Erik Rasmussen (---.169.133.16.provo.static.broadweavenetworks.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 02:42PM

Wow! That is a lot of suggestions right away! I think I'm going to grab an old rod that my dad has and rebuild it (for practice and I like the action on it but the guides are pretty much shot). Then with a little practice, I think I'll go for one of the MHX blanks. I really like the idea of building a rod. I got the idea after having to fix my 9' fly rod when it broke. I sure wish I would have looked here sooner because my repair, though functional, isn't quite as pretty as it could have been.

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: July 30, 2011 04:07PM

Erik, Peter's suggestion to look at older fiberglass blanks and do a rebuild is a very good one. I have taken several old fly rods I've picked up at garage sales or second hand stores and had a blast re-doing them. New lighter components, thinner thread, sometimes a new handle-reel seat, better epoxyy finish, guide spacing customed and ta-da!.... You've got a great fishing stick! Today, I am stripping down an older Sage 3 wt that has snake guides as thick as a paper clip, brown no-cp thread. no trim rings and just an average wrap job. Will put light single foots on it, except for the stripper and put some handsome trim rings in with the new guides. Might throw a snake-skin or Tiger Wrap up in the foregrip area. There is a lot of fun in the 'learning and building' arena of rod building.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2011 04:12PM

Steve, A "foregrip" on a three wt?

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: July 30, 2011 06:07PM

Phil ....The 'area' right in front of the grip. I often put a snake or tiger there on fly rods. If it's my own handle, I will often put an epoxy ramp and with some feather inlays. Even on lighter wt rods. Looks nice, is truly custom and minimal wt affect there at the butt. Going to post a few pics of some of these.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 30, 2011 10:55PM

Ed,
St Croix SCIII moderate action 7' 4 weight Mud Hole
Cabela's PT+ 7' 3 weight or 7'6" 4 weight
Should be within your price range and provide good performance

Eugene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster