I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank type for topwater smallmouth fishing ??
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 05:21PM

Hi

I just got a request to build a spinning rod for fishing topwater plugs for smallmouth bass. Lure weight probably in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range. I am not looking for a specific mfgr. or model - just what type of blanks/rods do you like for this application? Spin, spin jig, drop shot, popping, something else? Length - 6'6", 7'0" ? Moderate action, fast, extra fast?

Help me chose the best blank type!!

Thanks

Rog

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank type for topwater smallmouth fishing ??
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 06:37PM

I would not worry about a specific category of blank, but I would prefere to use someting more in the 7 foot+ range. I like more of a fast action because depending on the lures being used, something more with a moderate action will not get the movement needed for the lure.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 06:50PM

HI Roger,

We have had a lot of guys building smallmouth rods on Batson's XSW Blanks. They were 'designed' for walleye and as you know smallmouth often call for very similar applications and these blanks cross over very nicely. I am in the middle of epoxying one for a good friend of mine who lives in MI literally as I type this. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]®-walleye-blanks-c-21_183_248.html

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 07:57PM

My suggestion would be a 7' popping rod, light & fast action 6 to 12lb line. I have used that combination for top water bass and red drum fishing. The blanks that I built were the GLX P8400 which of course are no longer available from G Loomis.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.18.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 09:20PM

I fish the MHX SJ843 exclusively for top water for speckled trout, which are an awful lot like bass of any sort.
It's a 7', fast action, medium power an is an awesome blank for these types of plugs. If you want something a little on the lighter side, check out the MHX SJ842.

Both blanks are available in either the original or the High Modulus series.

You won't be disappointed in either blank.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 10:13PM

6'6" to 7'0" popping or graphite cranking blank. Lighter power/shorter for poppers, heavier/longer for walk the dog baits. Mod-fast action. Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 28, 2011 10:20PM

I like dropshot/shakey head rods for my topwaters. The RX8+S823 would be my first choice for that weight range, but the 822.5 is a fun topwater rod as well, especially for lures with a lot of wind resistance. The quick limber tips allow you to really work those topwaters.

Joe

Date: July 28, 2011 10:31PM

Another option would be the MHX L843, which isn't on the market yet but if you can wait I certainly would. I don't normally fish spinning rods with plugs but I did Sunday and it performed flawlessly.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: July 29, 2011 03:14PM

A popping blank rated for 1/4 - 5/8 OZ. lure.

Date: July 29, 2011 06:38PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Any more suggestions out there? C'mon - speak up!

Rog

Date: July 29, 2011 06:39PM

What would Tom K. build ?

Rog

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2011 07:51PM

A MH popping blank with a mod fast action like the Batson IP904 is a dandy choice.

DR

Posted by: Don Slater (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2011 10:06AM

I've been using a Lamiglas GFW 78 freshwater series rod for over 35 years on lake erie.

It has handled everything from smallies to very large drum with no problem.

It is a medium slow action for 4-10lb line and handles 1/8 to 1/2 oz.lures.

I prefer this rod over my St. Croix rod, which has a fast tip.

Date: July 30, 2011 12:16PM

Another issue that should be noted, will they be using mono, flurocarbon or braid? The way I build my rods are just right for mono but adequate when using braid. I build them this way to get the lure action the way I want it but enough power to handle the fish. I would go with a slightly different blank if I were to be using braid for this application.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster