I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scratch too Deep?
Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.direcway.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 05:53PM

Because I had an idiot moment today, I scratched the blank while trying to dry fit the reel seat and left scratches in the blank. My question in general is how deep must a scratch be to ruin the integrity of the rod and if I sand it down to see how deep the scratch really is, how will I know when I have hit the graphite? It was a Batson blank with a gloss finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scratch too Deep?
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 06:24PM

Derrek, I would be very surprised if you hurt the graphite and I wouldn't bother sanding it down. It would take some decent pulling to get a seet down far enough to hurt the integrity of the blank. I'm guessing it was an aluminum seat which probably means it is a heavier blank, which would leave even more room for error. You're fine, build it and enjoy!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: July 25, 2011 06:30PM

Well in a state of panic and looking around on the net I came across this thread on a woodworking board. I have always used the dark gray 3m pad (7446) for handle and seat assembly per the library article. Which makes me wonder why some people get nervous sanding a blank with sandpaper, especially when the gray pads are equivalent to 150 grit. Just curious on builders opinions.

[familywoodworking.org]

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 06:43PM

I was wondering could'nt you wipe some Perma Gloss on it and get the shine back and it would fill the scratches? I did that on one of my bass rods got a sharpie the same color colored in the scratches on each scratch mark then Perma Gloss it, it worked for me.

Date: July 25, 2011 07:12PM

The scratch won't be seen. It will be under the reel seat and grips. I am just wondering how deep one can sand before compromising the integrity of the rod. After further inspection it doesn't appear that the scratch made it past the gloss finish. It was on a RCLB70L.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 07:50PM

If the scratches are under the seat, there is no need or reason to sand the blank. Mount the seat as you would without the scratches.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 12:24PM

RCLB70L is a very tough blank, Enjoy!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 01:08PM

Any where I mount a seat or handle I give the area a 220 sand and clean well. This is just cause I don/t trust any finishes and have seen finish come off and make a seat loose.

Also ream out seats for better bond

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 02:34PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 02:29PM

I can almost assure you that it is not hurt one single bit.

Ron Weber

Date: July 26, 2011 05:09PM

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster