I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod Blues
Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:30PM

I am working on my first rod. an 8' 4wt. Rainshadow 4 piece blank. I have the guide locations marked. I put them in place and wrap. They don't stay in line. I am using double foot snake guides. Maybe I just need to slow down but it has been a little frustrating.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod Blues
Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:41PM

Bryce:

This is not unusual. If you have the correct tension, then you will be able to move the guides so that they are all inline. Gently move the guide around the blank unitl they are inline.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:41PM

you should be able to adjust them after they are wrapped to get them lined up.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:44PM

I always have to move mine after I wrap them to align them properly. I wait on the CP and epoxy until I get them straight.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.um.maine.edu)
Date: July 25, 2011 02:03PM

Like the others have stated, I also move the guides around after wrapping to their final alignment. I just try to get them close, not perfect, when wrapping. Also, I always leave the pulled through thread tag intact until I'm happy with the guides location. Can save you from having to redo a wrap.
Good luck,
Matt

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 02:26PM

Starting from the top and going to the butt will help you get them right After each I always adjust then go to the next guide After the seat and handle are on I then put the top and make sure it is lined up to the seat.
As I wrap line each up with the top

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 08:37AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 03:57PM

Bryce,
I try to keep the fore and aft adjustment stable. But if the guides are within a 1/2 turn when wrapping; that is fine.

I wrap them all, and then just tweak each guide unitl the alignment is perfect.

I never worry about aligning them until I am done wrapping. That way if I happen to jostle one when I am wrapping another guide, I am not upset.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 05:28PM

All good advice from above, enjoy wrapping the rod then align them. Have Fun, don't sweat it!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 03:04PM

Thanks. I think I have it figured out. My wraps were way too tight.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 26, 2011 04:20PM

Why would you have loose thread that just leaves more room for the guides to work loose. On single foot itll pull out easier. I dont follow the thought process here.I'm not sure about the double foot i usesingle with locking wraps so I have to put them in the correct place.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2011 07:32PM

Steven, are you saying that you never have to even slightly move your guides after you wrap them to get them lined up? I wrap fairly tight and use the Forhan locking system on my single foots and can still move my guides enough to line them up. They're not loose by any means. It takes some pressure and wiggling to move them, but they're not so tight that I can't budge them at all. Remember the thread holds the guide to the rod, the finish seals and locks the thread. If you can pull the guide out easily, it's too loose. No one is saying wrap loose, they're saying wrap with correct tension. Too much tension will cause failures down the road. I'm sure many here will agree with me on that.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 27, 2011 07:14PM

I get my thread wrapped half way up the foot then align the guide there might be a very small adjustment after. Roger said a half a turn and theres no way my guides will move that much. What failures can happen?

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2011 06:07PM

These guys are advising you wisely, they know of what they speak. Do not rush your work. You must be patient. If things start to go wrong walk away from the rod until you are mentally refreshed. I learned that from this forum. I usually wait until the next day to begin again. I'm no expert, but I usually wrap 4 guides at one sitting and leave it go until the next day.
Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster