I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Handle material suggestions / options
Posted by: Steve Homier (---.12.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 05:29AM

Do a "google search" for "Rod Building Parts and Supplies" I'm sure many dealers for parts and supplies will come up. Plus, there's many sponsors on this forum that could help you find your lightweight materials that you're interested in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Slater (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 10:06AM

For catfish, St. Croix is still the way to go. And a foam core/graphite handle is one way for a light handle.
But a graphite tube coupled with a matching reel seat is probably a better route.

Several firms make light weight guides in just about any clor combo.

Try MUD HOLE.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 10:30AM

I've used the FA-30 arbors to make split grips that were then flocked. Good hard stuff, but not for fishing from a rodholder.
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: July 25, 2011 10:40AM

Being a woodworker you can use about any material you wish. If weight is a big factor bore it out and use an arbor for an insert then ream it to size.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 11:15AM

Tinting the finish will also give you many colors

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:00PM

Okay everyone tell me what you think about this...

My idea is to use a carbon fiber tube for the handle and fill it with some sort of foam or graphite core... Now that I think about it the process should be pretty simple. Assemble the tube with some sort of end cap on one end. Slide it onto the rod blank then insert the foam core which would make everything center. Then assemble the rear end cap which would finish the foam encasement.

Sorry this may be old news to you all but its new to me....

Now another question I have is regarding the carbon fiber tubes. Are people making these themselves or buying them. I have seen the tobes sold but they were strictly a straight tube. I would like to be able to build this next rod with a rear grip that has a nice swooping style. Almost like a large bass rod but slightly bigger...

Date: July 25, 2011 12:15PM

Well never mind I answered my own question. I saw where they make the foam cores and carbon sleeves... Looks like this might be right up my alley...

now its time to research reel seats... Any ideas on light weight reel seats???

Thanks

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:17PM

Another vote for the batson RCLB's, top notch!!

I ready through most of the thread but didnt' see Texalium tubing mentioned. It is a woven graphite that is super light, looks great, and can be filled with foam or premade arbors. Batson has made some great kits with this handle system and we have them instock. Here is a link, feel free to give us a call, we are more than happy to help. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:18PM

check the sponsors on the left They give the weights and if not Call Them

Do some research

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 25, 2011 12:26PM

If it is going to be a spinning rod american tackle sells the aero seat with a carbon tube and all the required parts. It makes the job easy. I suggest you buy some extra arbor material.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 25, 2011 12:42PM

Get Bit Outdoors.Com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another vote for the batson RCLB's, top notch!!
>
> I ready through most of the thread but didnt' see
> Texalium tubing mentioned. It is a woven graphite
> that is super light, looks great, and can be
> filled with foam or premade arbors. Batson has
> made some great kits with this handle system and
> we have them instock. Here is a link, feel free
> to give us a call, we are more than happy to help.
> [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Is the texalium a pre-made tube or a flexible sock kinda product. I really like the idea of the "sock" style as I can then form the handle to my preferance.

thanks for the help

Date: July 25, 2011 10:00PM

Has anyone used the MHX line of blanks.... I was looking through the sponsors and found their site. Looks like they have a 9' steel head rod that may match my needs well

Thanks

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster