I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Handle material suggestions / options
Posted by: Casey Abell (74.134.138.---)
Date: July 24, 2011 05:10PM

Hey all!!!!!

Im looking to get back into rod building. About 12-15 years ago I built my first fishing pole. I was around 15 yrs old and was big into pay lake fishing. At that time the big thing was custom fishing poles with the fancy handles and pretty paint. Well I wasnt one who grew up being given everything I wanted so I had to learn how to build what I wanted. Anyways I ended up building several poles using my dads lathe and equipment which turned out great. I still use them to this day and get lots of compliments. Funny to think I built them when I was a kid.

Well the other day I was at the river using one of the poles I built years ago and thought about building another. Now that the times have changed I wondered what new modern materials they were using for handles and reel seats. When I built mine years ago the big thing was using hardwoods for handle material. Hardwood provides a great finish as you can varnish it for a smooth slick appearance but its heavy. This time around i'm looking to build something as light weight as possible but still retain the sold feel of hardwood.

This first pole will probably be another catfish pole. So im looking for something which can provide a smooth, slick and solid feel / finish for ease of cleaning and appearance.

Any thoughts on what I may be able to use. My first thoughts were to use some sort of carbon fiber tube cored with foam or something.

Also looking for reel seat suggestions.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle material suggestions / options
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 24, 2011 05:22PM

RodMaker Volume 10 #6 introduced foam core, carbon skinned grips to the fishing world. Very light yet extremely durable and functional.

You can do a search here and pick up a good amount of information on them.

Date: July 24, 2011 05:31PM

What is RodMaker volume 6 #10???? Sorry im a newbie LOL

Date: July 24, 2011 05:37PM

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.22.---)
Date: July 24, 2011 05:45PM

Casey, if you have a good lathe, a little time and some imagination.... the world of fishing handles is simply unlimited. There is so much material out there. Try some different things and experiment with it. Birchbark is beautiful; lots of barks are beautiful. Roots of large bushes can have very interesting patterns. Give it a try and post some of your results. Enjoy.

Date: July 24, 2011 05:53PM

Well I am very fortunate as I have almost a complete machine shop in my garage. So I should be able to pull off about anything as long as I can find the materials to make the part out of.

I will play around with some of the different woods etc however my main goal for this next rod project is to go as light as possible. My other rods were always built to be "tanks". This time im looking for more of a formula one type rod. HAHHAHA

I searched the site but only came up with one thread about the carbon grips. I couldnt really find any sources for parts or supplies. Any help out there.

Date: July 24, 2011 06:07PM

Riley Rods, sponsor to the left.

Date: July 24, 2011 06:16PM

Thanks... that looks to be exactly what I was looking for....\

Now for a totally different subject.... Any recommendations as to rod blanks???? I have used St. Croix and Fenwick in the past but that was years ago. Any new light weight mfgs out there

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2011 06:30PM

St. Croix is still top notch. So is lamiglas, calstar, and seeker. Fenwick, loomis, and shakespear are no more. Baston (rainshadow) may be new to you but are a big company and offer good value. There are good house brands like mhx by mudhole now. Castaway at swampland is worth a look. If anything there are too many choices so better you list needs and price range.

Two big changes I so is the trend towards smaller/lighter guide trains and the use of foam arbors. The new crop of "super reels" and braid is another. The serious salt water guy can now use a much smaller and lighter reel and finding a blank to match pushes the market. Now you get into names like phenix......and NSi resins....and titanium guides.....and $$$$.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 24, 2011 06:40PM

Well you do bring up a good point... I need to clarify my needs then decide what mfg best fits based on price and ability.

So here goes...

This first pole will be another cat fishing pole.
Will be used from the bank
doubtful to be fishing from a distance of more than 100 yds
Looking for around 8 - 9 ft length
I prefer a good backbone with fast tip as quick hook sets are essential
Light weight

I also want you to take into account that im not spending $100 extra to save 1oz..... I am looking for light weight but within the realm of realistic. If I had to guess the other poles I built probably cost under 300 a piece to build. So im looking to stay at or less than that amount.

suggestions

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 24, 2011 07:10PM

You can definitely build yourself a nice one for less than $300.00.

How heavy a weight will you be casting ?
What type and how heavy a line ?
Will you use a leader or tie straight to the hook ?
How big are the Cats you expect to catch?

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 24, 2011 07:17PM

Roughly in the 2oz range

20 lb or less braided line

Will use a leader

Cats ranging from 2 to 20 lbs

Thanks for the help

Date: July 24, 2011 08:02PM

Take a serious look at the Castaway XP3 Big Show BB2.
It is 7'6" , 15-30 lb line, 1/2 - 2/1/2 oz lure, blank weighs just 3.4 oz.
This blank wasn't designed to be a Cat Rod but I don't think the fish will mind. You can cross his eyes with this blank.
You wont build a better one for the money.
Build it Spinning or Casting and extend it to 8' if you want.

Call Lance at Swampland Tackle.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 24, 2011 09:00PM

Jay Hunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a serious look at the Castaway XP3 Big Show
> BB2.
> It is 7'6" , 15-30 lb line, 1/2 - 2/1/2 oz
> lure, blank weighs just 3.4 oz.
> This blank wasn't designed to be a Cat Rod but I
> don't think the fish will mind.
>
> You
> can cross his eyes with this blank.
> You wont build a better one for the money.
> Build it Spinning or Casting and extend it to 8'
> if you want.
>
> Call Lance at Swampland Tackle.

I will definitely take a look at that blank.. Sounds like it may be a good prospect.

Thanks again

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2011 09:02PM

I went with a Gator Glass blank for my cat rod, but it's not the lightest or nicest looking rod by any means. I went with glass for the strength.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 24, 2011 09:08PM

Would that be similar to an ugly stick.. When you said not the lightest nor best looking that was the first rod that came to mind.... I have an ugly stick that is tough as nails but is just like you described... Ugly and heavy... but tough as nails

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2011 09:26PM

It has the same look as an Ugly Stik with the ribs etc.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2011 10:17PM

Rianshadow rclb line seems to be a favorite with catfish guys. I like them for live bait salt water use too. You can get them in 7 and 8 foot. The XL will fish 15-20# and each step up fishes about 5 more pounds. I have felt the garfighters side by side and there isn't that much difference for darn near 1/3rd the price.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 25, 2011 12:36AM

I have also built Cat rods on the RCLB Rainshadow in the 7' model (didn't know they made an 8' ) and they are excellent blanks. But quite a bit heavier than the BB2. The RCLB Rainshadows are beautiful blanks at a great price also.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Gary Charles (---.biz.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 25, 2011 01:31AM

A "Grip Design" I came up with, out of wanting an extremely sensitive handle, is made out of "solid" Graphite Arbors, which come with a hole through the center. ***Not sure if anyone's done this before, but this is the first time I'm sharing it, as I was going to keep this to myself, but considering all things, I'll share it today, Fella's.*** Using 1 inch long Graphite Arbors, I use an appropriate-sized steel rod to glue them together (glue in each butt-joint, between each arbor), waxing or oiling the rod to keep the glue from sticking to the steel rod. The rod keeps the arbors aligned while the glue sets. Once the glue is set, You may have to tap it, ALONG THE ROD (I use a socket since it has a hole through it, it slides onto the rod), then I'll epoxy the length-of-arbors and let it cure...turned on a dryer, of course. I epoxy it to give it a smooth surface.

2nd Phase...Using fiberglass mesh tape, I'll wrap the Arbor Grip in one direction, then another wrap in the other direction. The fiberglass mesh tape is sticky on 1 side so it'll stick to the now-epoxied Graphite Arbors. Then a heavy coat of epoxy over the mesh tape and let it cure. Of course, I use Guide Wrap Epoxy so it has to be turned on a dryer. Once cured, You can use Your choice of Grip Finishing Material...Cork Tape, Rubber X-Flocked Shrink Tube, Butt Cord, etc. This Grip Design is tough and mildly flexible, and it's HARD so it Transfers Vibration which translates into Sensitivity, and it's Lightweight. I'm "experimenting" with the ReelSeat-Length Polyurethane Arbors in the same way, just gluing the lengths together to whatever length is desired, employing Mesh Tape for strength and Epoxy for strength and a smooth surface.

Then, of course, Ream it to fit the blank and glue in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 01:34AM by Gary Charles.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster