I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss
Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 23, 2011 12:16PM

I am trying to restore an old bamboo rod I was given. I have some moderate experience with graphite builds and feel I can give this rod an honest go.

I have spent a lot of time reading old post regarding stripping old varnish and finishing bamboo rods.

I believe I am ready to wrap guides and use a finish on the pole. I have purchased Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane as it was the most readily available finish suggested being used on past posts. There seems to be a strong opinion about dipping the pole into a dip tube or a dip tank etc. What I find a little curious about this, is the suggestion to dip the rod complete with guides wrapped and ferrules attached. It seems to me that the urethane will coat the guides as well as everything else. I can see how the thread wraps would get a nice finish as well as the rod but doesn't the urethane chip off the metal guides, ferrules and eventually leave a kind of stepped condition to the thread wrap.

I guess not since I've read many post suggesting this is the most professional way it is being done. Unless I am reading it wrong

Suggestions on a home made device for dipping would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any clarification and/or help in this matter

Steve Lynas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2011 12:16PM by Steve Lynas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear Gloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2011 12:34PM

Many traditional bamboo builders did and do dip the entire rod. This was with a highly thinned, warmed, varnish. The build up on the guides was minimal.

You may want to try the graphite builder's standard approach to blank refinishing, which would be to coat the blank, let that dry, then wrap and finish the guides as usual.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2011 01:15PM

I'll agree with Tom on this. You just may end up with a mess on your hands wondering why you did it that way when you can do the rod first and then the guides. I actually did a test fiberglass rod that I spray painted then sprayed with Helmsman and it came out quite good for my first time. I'm not recommending you do it that way. I just did it as a test.

Posted by: Steve Lynas (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 23, 2011 01:17PM

Thanks.

As usual for me would be to use the Threadmaster Thread finish. Do you foresee any problem mixing it with the Spar Urethane finish on the rod?

Steve Lynas

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2011 08:37PM

Over the top of fully dried spar varnish you'll be fine. Give the spar about 4 days to fully dry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster