I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top and line path
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: July 22, 2011 09:21AM

I have noticed that when ordering tip tops, the standoff dimension of a tip top is lower than the standoff dimension of the corresponding guide size. I believe that the tip tops are probable sized by the cone of flight method. As a consequence, I tend to order a tip with a ring size greater than the first guide. I believe that fly guides would work or at least be closer. I would like to maintain a straight line path while keeping tip weight down. Are there any manufacturer's who are on board with the NGC and produce a tip which is in line with the next guide?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top and line path
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 09:46AM

Just wrap a guide as the tip top. Problem solved.

Date: July 22, 2011 11:18AM

I was thinking of trying that but I just am not too fond of the look. Would it be possible to dissect a tip top (separate the tube from the bracing/ring) and superglue a single foot guide to the tube, then wrap over the guide foot? Has anyone tried this?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2011 11:43AM

That's certainly an interesting idea. Not sure the superglue buys you anything, but wrapping and finishing the wrap holding the guide to the tube should be all you need in that regard.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 11:56AM

How about just using an unbraced tip top?

Date: July 22, 2011 01:06PM

The issue I see is that with the NGC one of the goals is to establish a straight line path from the choker guide, through the running guides and out the tip. The tips on the market are sized according to the cone of flight theory. So after the NGC is set up, there is an offset in the line pathfrom the first running guide to the tip. Using a lrger ringed tip may alleviate this somewhat depending on the configuration of the guides and tip. Now, it may not make a huge difference, but the way I see it, if we are following a system, then it behooves us to make the system work as well as possible. It seems to me that the fly guides seem to line up better with the tips than the spinning or casting guides, but even some match guides that I have from H & H, exhibit the same issue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 02:07PM

Not to step on your toes -- but they work It's a fishing rod get one the same size as the running guides and another one size larger Test cast both

Your going to give your self a hart attack

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 02:27PM

John,
I have to agree with Bill.
To go a bit futher, just build your rod, leaving the tip off.

Then, get a dozen tip sizes varying from the very smallest to the largest that will fit on y our rod.

To temporary installs, do some test casts, and line retreives, and see if the size of the tip makes any difference.

If you do find that there is any difference, let us all know.

From the standpoint of casting and retreiving, I would be very much suprised that even if you had a size 8 running guide and then went to a size 3 tip that you would actually find any difference.

But if you do, please let us know.

Roger

Date: July 22, 2011 02:29PM

Bill, I did that. The one that is one size larger casts better (not a scientific test mind you).

No offense, but your point is strange considering that a hand line in the hands of a skilled fisherman will still catch fish. Trying to make things better is what fuels innovation. If mankind thought adequate was OK, then many things that we use everyday would not exist - stepping down off soapbox.

Date: July 22, 2011 02:58PM

Then tell all the makers of guides to make them the way you want or make your own

Why not just use the larger ring ?? If it casts better maybe with the larger ring any knots will pass though better A good thing.

or get several different tops from several different manufactures and try them out

Why is it strange You have parts try them all to get what you think is the better one You have only what is out NOW

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2011 03:02PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 22, 2011 03:04PM

Funny, I found the larger tip didn't perform as well. Could be that the tip of the rod was rather light and the larger tip top was heavier.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 22, 2011 03:32PM

Then again who's guides are you using ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 22, 2011 07:25PM

John,
I've used a fly rod tip top on a MH spinning rod.
No issues so far and the rod has been in service over a year.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2011 07:47PM

John, you posed an interesting question. What about getting an unbraced tip top and bending the ring up? or using a bigger tube and set the tip so it sits higher? they both have drawbacks. it seems like your best option may be to use a running guide as a tip top.

a question, did your testing show any appreciable difference?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster