I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Cork Grip
Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.5.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 04:37PM

I received a grip in the mail that was slightly abused by the USPS. Its broken in 2 but the pieces marry back up cleanly. I believe I can glue back together without a scar. I plan to use a piece of threaded rod with necessary washers and nuts to use as a clamp. I have the following in-house: Rodbond, Gorilla Glue, Elmers Wood Glue. Which would give me the best results? Any other tips appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Cork Grip
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 04:43PM

If it's real cork, I would use wood glue. Gorilla glue expands a lot.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 04:49PM

Titebond III would be my choice.

After that, the Elmers.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 20, 2011 05:00PM

Since you have it in house I would go with the Elmers, should be fine.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 05:06PM

I jut had a grip crack in 2 places. One I filled with ROd Bond, the other I used CA glue. Much to my surprise the CA glue worked a lot better than RB vbecasue there was less excess to clean up. I do not know how it will hold up though. The best part was the crack sealed in abotu 30 seconds.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2011 07:17AM

A thin coat of rod bond and a tight fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: billy broderick (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 21, 2011 09:40AM

I would not use elmers my choice would be tight bond 3 as it is waterproof hands down. I use it for all wood glueing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2011 12:30PM

Kurt,
If you have a lathe, it is a nice thing to do a handle clean up on the lathe , after gluing the handle back together. If you do a clean up on the lathe, it really won't make much difference as to which glue you use to repair the handle.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 21, 2011 06:08PM

If the Elmers glue is the waterproof / exterrior type glue, then I would use it. If not , go with a thin coat of Rod Bond and a tight fit as Bill said. Whatever glue you use, it should be waterproof.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 06:16PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (---.static.orml010.digis.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 11:43AM

This might seem like a "dumb question" , but what exactly is CA Glue?

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: July 22, 2011 12:12PM

Cyanoacrylate. Super glue. Krazy Glue is one brand.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.5.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 01:26PM

Well I hope I didn't screw up. I glued this together the other day with Elmers woodworking glue. It doesn't say anything about being waterproof on the bottle. I glued it up before Jay's comment about the exterior type (didn't know there was more than one). So before I commit to gluing this to the blank I would like to see what others think. Should I go with my repaired grip done with standard Elmers wood glue (I use rodbond for attaching to blank) or order another grip?

Add'l question... There is one small chip at the repair seam. I plan to use a filler to fix it. I see Mudhole carries Elmers wood filler (golden oak color) as a cork filler. Good choice?

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 22, 2011 01:57PM

You will probably be ok on the cork repair. What you can expect to see after it has been wet numerous times, the glue will dissolve. But, if you had a tight fit on the repair, and you use Rod Bond to mount to the blank, it will stay together. I wouldn't worry about it. Go to your local building supply place and get a bottle of Titebond lll, good stuff and waterproof. While you are there, get a little tube of Elmers Wood Filler in Light Oak color to use for filling holes in cork, it's a good match.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 03:46PM

maybe I am old school but I have used Rod Bond regular for seats handles rings and never had a thing come loose on me

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2011 12:11AM

Bill,
I have to agree,
I have never used anything but 30 minute epoxy for either gluing up rings, or gluing handles on the blank. Never an issue, either coming loose, or weathering problems.

Roger

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2011 10:17PM

Put a coat or 2 of Tru oil on it to seal it. Especially since you are using filler. You can also use the U40 cork sealer, but I prefer Tru Oil. If you don't seal it after you use filler, the filler will come out very quickly. (Learned from experience)

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Kurt Mogensen (---.135.29.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 23, 2011 10:22PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some of the U40 so I will use that on the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster