I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

questions about the New Concept Guide system.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 06:14PM

I am getting ready to order parts for a new build. I have 2 different reels that I want to use with this rod. One has a spool Diam. of 35mm and the other is 41mm. The center of the spool for both these reels is the same. I will be using 2lb diam braid on one reel, and 4 or 6lb diam braid on the other. I know that the choker guide is placed by the diam. of the reel spool. Should I use an average distance for the 2 spools, or do you think it will make a big difference in how the rod casts? what size would you use for the first guide? I will be using Fuji YAG guides and size 4 running guides.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions about the New Concept Guide system.
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2011 06:24PM

Mike, I have had to build a few spinning rods without knowing the spool size at all. Here's what I did: I measured several of my own reels and they ranged from 34mm to 52mm. I took into consideration the action of the rod and what it is designed for and decided to use 42mm for the build on the first rod. The second rod I used 40mm because the rod was a little lighter and figured a slightly smaller reel would most likely be used. I tested them and found out that even when I put a reel with a spool diam of 34mm on either rod, they cast just fine. There was no noticeable difference. If I were you, I would take an average of what you will be using since you already know that you will be using two different reels. It will work just fine.
As far as the size of the first guide (butt guide), how long is the rod? How long is the grip? and Where are you placing the reel seat? I personally don't use anything larger than a 25 on 7' or under bass, crappie rods. I have two 7 footers, one with a 20 for the butt guide and one with a 25. The setup is different for each rod. I used micros for the running guides on both rods (4's).

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 19, 2011 07:11PM

David: This rod will be built on a Batson SB720-4 blank. This is a 6' rod. I know the 2lb diam braid is light for this blank, but the line is 10lb test breaking strength, and is over the 8lb rateing for the rod. I really don't know how this is all figured out. I will be doing a first time split rear grip on this rod. I don't think the grip area will be much defferent then when I us a 7" butt grip, the reel seat, and a 2" fore grip. This all works out to be just about perfect for me.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2011 07:19PM

Take an average, or just set it up for the larger reel.

Date: July 19, 2011 11:26PM

I'm with Tom. Also, since it's 6', you might try starting with a 20 and go from there. I've heard of guys setting up with a 20, 10, then 4's to the tip. The one I did using a 20 for the butt guide ended up being 20, 12, 6, then 4's. You can also use a 6 instead of a 4 for the choker guide if you need to. After I put the grip and seat on I put the reel on without the spool and tie a line to the reel shaft. I place my choker on at the calculated distance. Example: If you use 40mm as your spool size then your choker would be set at 108cm from the spool face. I then run the line from the shaft, through the choker and the tip and tie a light weight on, just enough to keep slight tension on the line. Next I place my butt guide. I usually start at around 22" from the front of the reel seat and move back or forward from there. The size of butt guide you use will depend on the height of the guide. If you use a reasonably tall guide, then you could easily go with a 20. I then place the other guides leading to the choker with the top of the guide just touching the line. If I can't get the guide to touch, I go to a larger guide. If it ends up too close to the butt guide, I go with a smaller one and so on. If this is your first one I would recommend printing out the instructions from the library and playing with it with different setups to see which one looks correct, casts good etc. It's also good to look at a similar rod set up if you have one. Even though yours won't match another, it does help to give you a mental picture of what to look for. When I get to the running guides, I place them exactly like it says in the article and then I set the rod up for static testing to tweak the guides as needed. Also, I would recommend doing a search for spinning rod setups or something similar. You will find tons of different guide sizes, setups, recommendations etc. Shoot me an e-mail if you need more help. I realize that the way I run the line through the choker and tip is a little different from the article. I do it that way because it works for me and I have limited space.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 20, 2011 06:23AM

From what I have been doing, you could easily start with a 16 for the first guide since you are using that light of braided line. You might even be able to go down to a 12. Try some different setups.

Date: July 20, 2011 12:32PM

If you go by the article, then you would choose a butt guide that is close to half the size of the reel spool. This is a good start and it is a "known to work" system, although like Mike S. stated you can go smaller in ring size as long as you have a fairly tall guide. The BYAG is tall if I'm not mistaken, so you would be fine with a 20. You want to put the lightest, smallest guide you can on the rod without impeding casting, fighting or performance of the rod. Let us know what you decide. Don't be afraid to try different set ups as Mike S. recommended. Nothing is set in stone.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 20, 2011 07:37PM

Thanks for all of the help. I just ordered the parts for the rod. The Fuji CYAG guides are tall. I wasn't able to go to the 4's for the running guides. Seems Fuji doesn't make a CFAT tip top with a 4.5 tube smaller then a 6. The running guides will be CLAG 6's. These will still be small enough for my old eyes to wrap. I will let you know what I come up with for guide size and spaceing.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: July 21, 2011 10:53AM

Mike if you want going smaller then CLAG6 as running (CLAG4 for exemple) consider the Fuji MCAT as top [www.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2011 10:54AM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Date: July 21, 2011 06:58PM

Eric: Thanks for the information on the smaller tip top. I just added this and 4 size 4 LAG guides to the order. I am building in a rod building vacuum here, and without this site, I can only go by the catalog discriptions, and this site for these products. I have deciced to do some imperical testing on this rod build. I am thinking something along the lines of setting the rod up for the larger reel, test cast it a number of times, and measure the distance, and then change to the smaller reel. Set it up for the smaller reel, and test cast it, and then set it up for the average between the 2, and cast it again. Do the same thing using the size 6 running guides, and then the size 4. Change the size 20 rear guide, to a size 16 and cast it again. I know this will not be very scientific, but even with 5 casts per set up should show some trends.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: July 21, 2011 07:05PM

Mike S.: When you go to a size 16 rear guide, where are you placing it? Do you go with a very tall guide so that it fits in the 18" to 22" range from the face of the reel, or do you just fit a tall guide where it touches the line between the center of the spool, and the top of the choker guide?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: July 21, 2011 07:36PM

This is just me, but I would go with a taller guide if you go with a smaller ring so that it fits in the "normal" range. If the guide is too far from the reel, you lose line control.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 21, 2011 09:26PM

David: I am already using tall guides with the Fuji CYAGS. I built one of these blanks before, and had to go to a Fuji CYAG 25 just to get the guide to fit into the 18" to 22" inch range from the straight line to the choker guide. What Fuji guide would you use that is size 16, and extra tall so that it fits this build? I really don't want to sound like a newb, I am trying to learn new tricks. I am just wondering at what point smaller, lighter, taller, becomes a henderance rather then an assett. Heck, I am still trying to figure out building on the straightest axis, and building on the spine.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: July 21, 2011 09:35PM

On the one in the picture that I put up earlier I used a 20 and it landed at 23" from the reel face. It casts great. Don't be afraid to go outside the 22" mark, just don't go crazy. I personally have never used a 16 on any of my builds for a butt guide. If you look at the picture you will see that the guides fit inside each other. I used Kigan guides which are moderately tall. Those Fuji's should be tall enough. Try a 20 and let me know how far out from the reel face you have to put it.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 22, 2011 06:19AM

I am using the PacBay M series of guides which give you alot more height for the ring size. I have to play with the location of the guide to get it in just the right spot.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 22, 2011 12:33PM

FWIW I found the size 6 alconites no problem at all to work with. For the next build I tried size 4's and found them a lot smaller and harder to work with. Size 5 might be just right. The 4's were so small I couldn't hold them to file the foot or find them when I dropped one. Of course I'm blind and old so maybe you won't have any trouble:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 22, 2011 12:48PM

Russell: I am old, blind, and have paws instead of hands. When I have to hold these small guides to dress the foot, I use small machine bolts with flat washers and a nut. I have had too many dremel tool manicures trying to hold even size 8 giudes by hand.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster