I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abstract Grip
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 11:57AM

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am sanding down an Abstract EVA grip following Billys instructions from the last issue of RodMaker, but can't seem to prevent the black eva from bleeding into the lighter colors. I kept dipping the wet sandpaper in water and buffed with demin, but I just can't get the vibrant greens. Is there anything I can do? Hoping Billy will chime in.
Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abstract Grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2011 12:18PM

Try a couple things - a stiff toothbrush may be all you need to clean up the green EVA. I've also gotten decent results with an alcohol wipe. Follow that with the denim buff.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 12:46PM

Steve, give me a call 718 980-5626. After we talk if you don't mind following up posting here with whatever we figure out that works I'd appecaite it. I dont' have tim eto go back and forth on posts/e-mails right now, a 10 minute phone call I'll figure it out.

Date: July 20, 2011 08:06AM

Thanks Tom for the suggestions and to Billy for taking the time to have a phone conversation with me. I cleaned the grip and used masking tape to try and pull some of the bleeding out of the colored foam. It did help. I am thinking the quality of the hobby foam I am using may be part of the problem. I made a foregrip last night and was cautious not to be too aggressive with the coarse sandpaper and to do more sanding with the finer and wet sandpapers. I still had some bleeding. The cleaning with soap, toothbrush and using masking tape to pull out the bleeding did help.
This was my first go at working with EVA. The article in RodMaker was very informative and helpful. I was a little leary of using the skew chisel backwards, as shown in the article, but tried it last night and it worked very well for roughing out the grip. My wife thinks the abstract grip looks cool and even stated that she would like to have this rod for herself...so thanks guys for helping me get some browny points with the wife. I will try and post some photos when complete.

Thanks again!
steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2011 08:11AM

Looking forward to the photos. This technique should really lend itself to some unusual grip patterns. There's a lot that can be done with it.

Date: July 20, 2011 10:01AM

Steve, I'm glad that som eof those tips worked out for you, I think as you play with EVA more you'll get the hang of it a little better and they'll come out cleaner and cleaner. I got a call from my frien dMike last night who had a random abstract grip split and pop open on him. In the event an EVA grip pops open on you you cna glue it back together. Even if you notice a split or an open seam, you cna fix it by putting contact cement on a needle or bodkin and opening the seam up an dapplying the glue. Let it dry and close it back up, that should solve the problem provided oyu allow the glue to dry.

PS - I have to go back and re-read the article, I don't know how much info I put in there and apologize if I'm repeating it here, lol.

PS#2 - I'm rally pleased that so many guys are playing wiht these random abstract EVA grips, stay tuned becasue I plan on doing another EVA article for Rodmaker Mag soon........

Date: July 20, 2011 08:23PM

Is there a trick to reaming eva out to fit the blank perfect? It about did me in reaming by hand. It seams like you have to do a lot of reaming to remove any material. Also I glued,drilled and turned all in the same day...is that Ok?
steve

Date: July 20, 2011 10:48PM

Mudhole's Reamer seat with the Flex Coat reamer abrasive NOT the grit. Put it into a lathe or hand drill and power ream teh EVA to fit the blank. Or make your own reamers out of teh FC reamer abrasive strips sold by MH as well. HAnd reaming is not fun

Date: July 21, 2011 06:17AM

Ok, I do have a Batson Dream reamer set, was afraid to use with drill..............wiill next time.
steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster