I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Help Needed
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:46AM

Hi Guys....I have started on a 3D box wrap on a saltwater rod and ran into a few potential problems and wanted to get some advice before I went too far and got into real trouble. The attached pic [www.rodbuilding.org] shows where I am now.

The underwrap is a Pac Bay size A Chrome Metallic....the blue is a D Pro Wrap NCP and the black is a Gudebrod D NCP.

First question.....how do you mark the metallic underwrap? Nothing seems to work?

Second....the black and blue threads slide around a lot on the chrome underwrap...I am afraid that while packing and burnishing I will have a problem.

3rd....the Pro wrap D is a smaller diameter than the Gudebrod.....will that become a problem as I add more passes? Is it OK to do a double pass of blue at some point to a bulk up the blue and even it out?

The wrap is big and takes me a long time so if there is something I need to change I want to do it now.

Thanks all....you guys are always very helpful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Help Needed
Posted by: Jim Levy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 12:40PM

Sharpie markers will mark anything, including metallic thread. Just make sure that your wrap is going to cover the Sharpie mark in the end.

I would suggest using a regular Gudebrod black as opposed to the NCP. The diameter is smaller and will match better with the blue and you'll end up with a truer black color after finish is applied. The NCP black ends up looking a little purplish to brownish black when finished.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 06:55AM

Jim gave oyu solid advice. I normally use a white out pen to mark, but on bare thread I don't think I'd use that, only ona blank or an underwrap that had finish. I never use Uwraps so I don't know
If the threads slide around that's good, tha will allow you to pack them. It's when they do not move you have a problem
YOu can do whatever you like when wrapping, as you progress through the wrap see how it's coming out and make adjustments to suit your liking.

Date: July 19, 2011 09:38AM

Thanks guys......Billy....after a few more passes I realized that the threads sliding so easily would be an advantage. It has made packing much easier and I have been able to re-align the boxes as needed.

The wrap has really started to take shape as I progress....and the work involved just makes me appreciate more some of the incredible stuff you guys turn out.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by: Brian Wagner (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2011 05:40PM

Joe, please follow up with a finished pic. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Date: July 21, 2011 10:10AM

Brian Wagner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe, please follow up with a finished pic.
> Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

Here ya go Brian! Thank you for your interest. My education continues. :)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster