I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for wrapping small single foot guides using Forhan wrap!
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 08:55PM

All you light weight fly rod builders out there... now I know why many of you have grumbled about wrapping light weight fly rods using small single foot guides. I'm on my fourth attempt trying to secure the first guide below the tip top of a 2 weight rod I am wrapping.

I could use some helpful tips as to what is the best way to temporarily secure the guide to the blank while wrapping the guide using a Forhan lock. I've tried a narrow strip of blue painter's tape, and a cut down segment of a rubber band. I have a guide glue stick that you heat and melt with a flame and then rub on the guide feet that I have successfully use for larger guides on heavier rods in the past, but I feel these guides and blank are too narrow for this approach.

Also, what material (mono, same thread I am wrapping with, or a fine diameter wire) do you recommend for a small diameter whip or loop finisher that is strong enough to pull the tag end underneath smaller wraps? I'm having a problem with the wrap not being tight enough, because my whip finishing tool adds too much extra space before it is removed from the finished wrap. I ended up with too much free play of the wrapped guide when adjusting it for its final alignment.

Thanks for the tips!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for wrapping small single foot guides using Forhan wrap!
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 09:24PM

Peter,
I use orthodontic bands for small guides - they come in several sizes. The smallest size should work for your application
As for tie off (whip / loop finisher) I use 20lb Power Pro (braided line). Tie a simple overhand knot = then DOUBLE it so you can pinch it between your finger tips or finger nails.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (---.177.23.119.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 17, 2011 09:38PM

I use a variety of braided lines from 12-20# depending on the thread size. A size or smaller threads get the 12# braid. I use a natural, non coated braided line called BattleLine from Versitex, one of the sponsors on the left. I have tried other braids and they tend to leave a waxy coating on the thread wraps once it's pulled through. I use some thin 1/8" wide masking tape strips to hold the guide in place. I put a layer or two over the guide foot and then another couple layers behind the guide foot to keep the guide from getting pushed backwards.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 17, 2011 09:55PM

On the small tip section I use the dental ligatures like Ken but I also put one behind to keep the guide from sliding back wards , like Tim.
Works every time for me. Tape is too cumbersome for me to use on small guides. My fingers get in the way.
Don't feel alone. We all have battled this little problem.
As for the Forhan wrap; I do 2 wraps around the guide leg then one more blocking wrap.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: July 17, 2011 11:58PM

I use the guide foot adhesive you mentioned and have had great luck with it on rods with tips down to 3.5. As far as pull through loops, i just use braided line and i tie a small bead at one end of the loop so i dont lose it. I do wipe the braided loop down with alcohol several times before the first use so that there is no waxy type build up as mentioned earlier. They last forever

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 12:46AM

I also use the guide foot adhesive and find it works much better if you heat the guide foot instead of heating the glue stick, it gets too runny that way. As for the pull thru loop, I use those available form Backlash Tools on the left, been using the same one for three years. They are very thin yet extremely strong.

I have built a number of the Batson 2wt fly rods using this method.

Posted by: Nick Dangiris (---.eburwd9.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 18, 2011 01:25AM

Peter,
I've tried a few different methods and settled on the following. First, I place a very narrow piece of tape around the guide foot and rod where the thread wrap would begin. This holds the guide in place. Next, I use a 6 inch length of thread and wrap this tightly a dozen or so times around the guide foot and rod where the foot meets the guide ring, and to keep this thread from unwinding I place another very narrow piece of tape around the thread. I can now remove the other piece of tape and start wrapping the thread. Once the thread has climbed onto the guide foot and is just about to meet the temporary thread/tape wrap, I remove the tape and unwind the 6 inch length of thread. Then, just continue wrapping until the binding is finished. This method is a bit slow and needs some dexterity in the fingers, but I find it is the only way that I can stop small guides from moving around.

For a pull-through, non-coated braided line works best, something like Spiderwire Invisibraid or equivalent. When positioning the pull-through, I always lay it right next to the guide foot because in this location it sits in the little hollow or tunnel, thus adding no bulk. After the guide thread is pulled through, I make sure to pull tightly enough so that the thread tag moves away from the tunnel and is well buried under the wraps.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 08:59AM

Try the seardh function on this subject...all dates...you will get plenty of tips.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:44AM

get light braid soak it in denatured alcohol wipe it down wash it off double overhand knot it to a piece of orange yellow or some vibrant color fuzz that way you can see it on your work bench or on the floor if yu drop it.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:44AM

oops double.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 10:48AM by Gabe Nakash.

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 10:55AM

Hey, Peter. I'm not as experienced as some of the others, but here's my method. Like the others I bought some dental bands off of @#*!. I usually put on at least twice as many as I need and I always use two per guide. One band near the ring of the guide, the other a few mm from the start of the guide foot. I then apply tape where I want to start my wrap, so I can pack against the tape. After I get started up the guide foot I slide first band closer to the guide ring until it rests against the second band, then I cut them both off and finish my wrap. As far as a loop, I use the dental loops made to pull floss through bridgework. Just put a drop of super glue in the hole of a bead, then insert the loop. Also ask Mr. Kirkman and some of the other veterans about using the guide wrap thread itself. Wrap the guide foot half way to the ring and simply wiggle the guide towards the tiptop until the desired amount of thread is left before the guide. Hope this long drawn out post helps. BTW send me your adress in a PM and I'll send you some bands and tie off loops.

Posted by: Darrell L.Pack (---.qncyfl.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: July 18, 2011 11:36AM

Hi Peter: I use a dental product called ligature ties. You can find them on E @$ Y @#$%&.(The ID on these is about a 1/16 or less.)These are very small and work on the smallest mico's and fly guides. Use two per guide. Good luck on the build !

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 23, 2011 03:56PM

peter

i also go with the dental ligature bands for holding my small guides. my dentist was happy to order a bag of 1000 for me. i think they were around $20.

rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster