I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ICAST
Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.wcht.ks.pixius.net)
Date: July 14, 2011 05:24PM

Any new goodies released there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ICAST
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2011 06:03PM

Okuma has introduced rods with abalone inlays. Wonder where they got that idea? Kevin Knox reported that to me yesterday.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 14, 2011 07:46PM

There are even more micro guide offerings - Dobyns, Pinnacle, and more - Year three of the "craze"!

Not to mention:

Bucky Paper, Nano Tubes, Nano Spheres, Tall Micros, Short Micros, 3831, Black Carrots, New blanks hidden in the hotel rooms...

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 08:02PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 09:10PM

Uplocking trigger reel seats with the threads hidden under the front half of the split grip.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.48.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 14, 2011 10:12PM

Shimano redesigned the Curado, Chronach, Citica, Stradic & Sustain.
It's going to be a great year for new reels.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 11:19PM

Duckett White Ice rods with heavy duty micro's. Bucky paper rods with high frame micro's. Something special coming from Swampland. Stay tuned.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: July 15, 2011 05:06AM

mike harris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Uplocking trigger reel seats with the threads
> hidden under the front half of the split grip.

That sounds cool, hopefully they will be available to us soon if not already

Date: July 15, 2011 09:30AM

Are rod manufactures not allowed to use trends from the custom market? I don't get that people get upset about this.

Anyway I saw a picture of a spinning guide that looked like it had a funnel attached to it. That got me wondering if Fuji or anyone released anything cool. I know matagi was there also. Hopefully they found a good U.S. vendor.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 09:55AM

Tom

I think of that as the more custom stuff comes of the shelfs at Walmart and at better prices then we can do -- why buy ours

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 15, 2011 10:27AM

You got a point but a custom builder can always build a rod specific to every customer. No manufacture can do that and to me that should be the push to get a buyer. That's why I started building and I'm sure most others too. I could find lots and lots of nice rods but none made the exact way I wanted. Maybe what I shoulda done was find a good builder and have him build me some rods but I elected to learn a new craft.

If every rod manufacture out there used abalone, marbling, cut real seats and on and on they still can't build a rod to fit a specific individual. If a customer wants eye candy the stores got it. We got what they don't and that's total flexibility.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 10:56AM

So True Tom B.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 11:38AM

I understand what you are saying and I new some one would come back with that
But
I have had a few asking for rods
First They go though a lot of seats handles guides I send picks and go thought maybe 15-20 e-mails Then come time to get a deposit -- Oh gee I can't afford it right now
Then i give a quick price -instead of going though all the picks I say x x $ he says a lot less

It is the Economy People out of work and have to feed there kids
Why are there so many builders selling there complete stock on the buy sell page - Not making money

Even with a discount ya still can not build a rod for the price of store bought - And not with micros split seats and such ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 15, 2011 12:06PM

Bill I again see your point but (you knew that was coming ha ha) they have to compete with everyone also. They have to bring a product that stands out in the crowd. You can't blame them for building a better or more appealing rod. That's what they are supposed to do. My point is a builder shouldn't and has no grounds to get upset about a company using ideas that may or may not have originated from custom builders. Take it as a compliment and beat them to the punch on the next innovation. Custom builders almost always do!

I know it's frustrating seeing a rod for $100 that's light and appealing because you and I know someone will compare it to the cost of a custom. At the same time if Chevy made trucks cost half as much and be built like they should I wouldn't complain and I doubt many others would.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 12:22PM

Tom B- no offense but that's where you are partly incorrect. Several companies are now offering full custom build services in addition to their production line of "rack" rods. These are fully custom shops where rods are built 100% to customer specifications. They are doing the same thing as you but have the added benefit of marketing muscle and OEM purchasing which reduces their cost (higher profit) and makes them highly competitive against you. They also have access to components you don't have partly due to being OEMs.

Not trying to be a downer, but it is what it is. The landscape is changing a little.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2011 12:23PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Date: July 15, 2011 05:38PM

I knew Kistler had something like that going but I don't know if they can set up a rod for a specific reel, set the handle length exactly where you want it, do specific thread wraps, custom decals, turn the handles to specific shapes, spiral wrap, etc. etc. We will always have the upper hand when it comes to the details but I see what you are saying.

Anyway no more icast news for builders?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2011 07:01PM

Most of the new rod building products are introduced at the Expo in February.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 08:31PM

Mathew Shimano redesigned these again ????????????
They did that (2)or (3) years ago and the prices went up $50.
In fact the Curado went from $119 to $199 then hey changed
them last year and came out with the 200E5 and 7 at $179.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 08:37PM

There is not very much to look at as far as rodbuilding component companies are concerned. Batson, American Tackle, Pac Bay showcased their products as well as Gudebrod and FishHawk threads from Scott Parsons and Anglers Resource (Fuji). Some of these companies do a considerable amount of business with overseas companies. Kirkman is right, there are more new rodbuilding products introduced at the ICRBE than there is at ICAST or any other show anywhere.

Lance

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 08:43PM

Tom B - Sure Kistler has the plug and play website but if you call them direct, I believe you can expand your options. Do some research, make some contacts, ask some questions and watch the competition. You might be surprised what you find out.

Again, there are others in the game doing the same. Not going to mention names (why help the competition right?) but here is what they say online: "We’re inlaying photographs on fishing rods, making snakeskin inlays, constantly innovating — basically letting our imaginations run wild!"... "...From the grip hand shaved to your specific feel;..."

They aren't the only ones. I don't agree that custom builders have the upper hand all the time anymore. And cetainly not in detail. Lately I've seen a lot of factory rods with craftsmanship far superior to many "custom" rods.

Another new - St Croix has rods using minimas with foam core handles covered in neoprene.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 08:44PM

Ok thanks guys. Lance how long before you share youre news?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster