I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Greetings! Want to build fishing rods.
Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 11:08AM

Greetings to all!

I have decided that I would like to start building custom fishing rods. I have often admired the work that others have done, and have wanted to do the same. I would like to produce a light weight to med. action rod for salt or freshwater fishing. I would like to purchase blanks from a company that actually Mfg's their blanks here in the USA. I need help with what, when, where, how, & why. I have no experience in this, I am an avid fisherman, and know what I want in a rod. Any help and or direction would be of great help. Please feel free to make any comments. All will be welcome.

Thanks!
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Greetings! Want to build fishing rods.
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 11:53AM

First. I would suggest that you check out the LIBRARY, FAQ, GLOSSARY and PHOTO (you have to register for the photo page separately. You can use the same passwords) p)ages. Their is a wealth of info there. Next get a copy of Tom Kirkmans book from a vendor on the left. A subscription to Rodmaker magazine is also highly recommended. Also check out [rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Where are you located? There are probably rodbuilders in your are that will take you "under their wing" That will really shorten your learning curve.

As far as "Made in USA" You will really be limiting yourself to a fraction of the quality components available.
You might want to unhide your e-mail also.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 14, 2011 12:02PM

Im in San Antonio. There is a Rod Builder in Victoria that I would love to learn from. But, he will one day be competition. If you or anyone else know of someone in the San Antonio area, I would love to talk to them. As far as made in the USA... Im looking for Blanks (carbon fiber) that are produced here.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2011 12:22PM

St. Croix, North Fork, Talon, Lamiglas, Sage, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting are all made in the USA.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 12:34PM

Brian,
one option I can recommend for learning is the Rod Building classes that we offer from Mud Hole Custom Tackle. We have one in Houston in September. On top of that we are the largest distributor of Rod Building Components in the World. We also offer every major US blank manufacturer.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 14, 2011 12:50PM

Calstar and seeker as well.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2011 01:40PM

Seeker as well, is a USA made product.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 05:57PM

Hydra H2 Made in USA.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 15, 2011 06:08AM

Hi Brian,
so you want to build fishing rods........Congrat's big time......I hope I'm talking for most builders here when i say, IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE...........BUT...... you will need to have a science degree in patience, a masters in determination, a really big rubbish bin for the disasters and a very very large pocket chock-o-block full of money...........GOOD LUCK......
nearly forgot to mention..................we all love it........

Date: July 15, 2011 06:19AM

also Brian, a great place to start ..get into YOUTUBE....and start typing rod building, binding, wrapping, epoxying, anything to do with building a rod is there, mudhole has great vid's on there as well

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 10:02AM

Also a lot of the suppliers on the left have -how to's - MudHole for one.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.47.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 15, 2011 11:58AM

Hey Brian. . . . . Welcome to the world of fish sticks. It's addictive. I'm a 3rd generation rod builder. My Grandfather built rods out of hickory sticks and shaped them with a broken Coke bottle. I built my first rod in the late 60s on a fiber glass blank. I just recently rebuilt it. As I was doing the rebuild, I couldn't believe how the supplies for building have changed. The color choices of the thread we use today is mind-boggling! The adhesives and finishes are almost space-age. Here's wishing you Good luck.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 01:24PM

Welcome Brian, building your own rods is an awesome way to be more involved in the sport we are all obsessed with. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you get started.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 04:55PM

There is a Rod Builder in Victoria that I would love to learn from. But, he will one day be competition.

If you noticed, on this forum as well as others. Expierened builders are glad to help newbies. and I think most any builder would be willing to help you also. Today you are a student of hi, s in a few years you may be his competition or even his buisness partner. Take advantage of every situation to learn this craft.

In my general area eight builders get together once a month. (This is not the best area for custom built rods). We do not worry about out selling the other or taking his business. We share ideas and information. and we all grow off of it.

It is a good thing to be around other builders.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (---.lns3.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 15, 2011 09:09PM

Also Billy Vivonas "Decorative Wraps" and Dale P Clemens "Custom Rod Thread Art" books are worth investing in. Dale Clemens book is what got me started.

Date: July 18, 2011 03:26AM

Brian,
Any competition is good competition..
it makes you strive to be better than him and he does the same, quality gets better from both of you and you end up with a good reputation because your "competition" is always pushing you to do better..
i would gladly accept a few more rod builders in the town i live in.

Posted by: Harold Krause (192.193.216.---)
Date: July 18, 2011 01:53PM

Hey Brian, It's been a long time since I have posted on this site. In fact I can't believe I remembered my login credentials!! It has been a couple of years since I built my last rod, but I am in the San Antonio area. I live in Schertz (the N.E. area). I think I have my email available...shoot me a email and I will see what I can help with.

Actually the email address in my profile is an old one. Not sure how to edit it. But if you send me something, let me know so I can check it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2011 01:57PM by Harold Krause.

Date: August 18, 2011 11:03AM

Harold,

I sent an email to you, but it came back. Give a a shout or email me with you new email address.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster