I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap question
Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: July 13, 2011 02:17PM

When you wrap a spiral wrap do you need to have a bumper guide in there? I just layed down some guides on a rod and used a 1/4" turn method that brought the 4th guide directly under the blank. Test cast were very smooth. If I look through the first guide I can see threw the holes of the next 3 guides at an angle leading to the bottom of the blank. From there I spaced out evenly the rest of the guides.

What is the need for placing guides at specific angle degrees if you can get a fluid line path with just some 1/4 turns of the rod? As long as I dont have line touching the blank and the rod casts well do I need to focus on anything else?

- I searched and didnt find a specific answer to this.
- I'm just asking to educate myself, not start a debate on who's method is better.

And as always. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 02:29PM

Adam,
Bottom line - if it works for you - go for it and enjoy the rod.

That is the wonderful thing about CUSTOM rod building.
You can build a rod in any fashion that you want. If the end result does the job for which it was intended, it is an excellent.

Good fishing.
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2011 02:39PM

The Bumper guide is unique to the Simple Spiral. Other spiral guide systems don't require it because they carry the line around the blank via a series of transition guides.

Date: July 13, 2011 04:05PM

So what about the specific degree angle some recipes call for. Why is this important?

Thank you for the responses!

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 04:57PM

The specific degrees is a starting point really. For the rod you are doing, they may need to be adjusted to get the best line flow.

Date: July 13, 2011 05:22PM

Thanks Mike.

If line flow is the key I think I've got it.

Appreciate the help guys!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 05:36PM

Adam, think of it as different ways to get to where you want. Early on some felt the line would go to the bottom and all that was needed was to prevent it touching the blank. They were offsetting the butt guide a few dgrees and going straight to the underneath of the balnk. Others felt it should be done with a few guides a fixed number of degrees apart in a short distance. Still others felt it should be done with a few guides over a longer distance. Then someone decide a bumper guide could be used and performance wouldn't suffer very mush.

IMHO the different camps are somewhat divided by the rods purpose. The heavy salt water crowd might simply offset the butt guide (to clear the blank) and go right to the bottom. The fresh water crowd might think in terms of a guides at 60 degree intervals over a short distance. The surf casting crowd might look to spread those guides over a longer interval for the straightest possible lne path. IMHO each felt justified because it seemed logical but didn't always back up that feeling with rigorous testing.

Then you have the lazy crowd like me who don't notice much degradation of performance with the bumper method and enjoy its ease. So, to me, it depends on the parameters that are most important to you and if you can feel a difference.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 13, 2011 06:08PM

Thank you Russ. I really appreciate the thought out response.

Totally makes sense what your saying about different techniques. Each one calling for a different setup to satisfy the application. That definitely helps for future builds.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:39PM

Like Russell mentioned, choosing a method for the spiral depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Do you need a rod that absolutely minimizes torque, or is a little side loading acceptable? Are you concerned with the amount of energy lost by accelerating the line (after all, any time you change the direction of the line, it will experience an acceleration during the out cast)? Does it matter which direction the line goes around the blank?

In the end, I don't think you will see huge differences in performance with different techniques. Rather, like a lot of things in rod building, it is a matter of personal preference. Choose what seems logical to you. As a guy who focuses on bass and panfish rods, my preference is leaning very strongly toward a slow spiral that uses 3 or 4 guides to get the line around the blank and carries the spiral pretty far out on the rod. It seems the most logical placement when I consider what I want and need from a casting rod.

Many of my previous spirals have the butt guide at zero degrees, second guide at 90 degrees and the third guide at 180 degrees. I did run into some issues with the line wetting to the blank from using old mono on rare occasions. By slowing down the transition a bit, those problems should go away, and the line path looks better as well.

This is what works best for me, but your mileage may vary.

Joe

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: July 14, 2011 09:33AM

My experience has been similar to Jan's. When I was using conventionally-sized guides (i.e. 6-12), I did the simple spiral. I have an entire set of SCIII bass rods using this technique, and they are fantastic. Now that I've started using micro guides (i.e. 3-6), I've been using a slow spiral per the instructions of Duane Richards. Both set-ups work well, and I'd be hard-pressed to say which is better. For the micros, it seems that a slow spiral likely works best. But, there are those who've used the simple spiral with great success while using micros.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 14, 2011 12:21PM

Ditto to Andrew. (Thanks again to Duane and Steve) I do find that the slow spiral casts better than the simple (bumper) setup when using micros.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster