I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater General Purpose Suggestions
Posted by: Timothy Cahill (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 10:55PM

I'm looking into building a general heavy freshwater/saltwater spinning rod - I would really like some suggestions as far as guides, and a possible reel pairing (will spend up to $250 on the reel).

The blank that I selected is a St. Croix 2M70MHF2 7' 2pc for traveling

I have only built freshwater rods before, and nothing this large. I am not sure what type of guides to use, and I have not used underwraps before. Any tips, suggestions, or commentary would be great. I'm open to just about anything as long as it is airline friendly, and good quality. I'm planning on fishing for king salmon inshore in Alaska.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater General Purpose Suggestions
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 12:00AM

Spinning Reel:

[www.basspro.com]
[www.basspro.com]
[www.basspro.com]
[www.basspro.com]
[www.basspro.com]

there are way too many too list. pick your favorite. or go to a local tackle shop and test em out for your self.

Date: July 13, 2011 12:08AM

I like the Penn Conquer, I also heard great things about the fin-nor 8500

any opinions between the two?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 01:13AM

Your going a bit heavier on the blank than I would for Alaska, that said the rules you'll find in the library on guide size and distribution don't change because the build is heavier. I wouldn't use underwraps unless it's for decoration sake.
I'd have gone with something more like the Batson SW967F. Double foot high frame guides for durability sake.

Date: July 13, 2011 02:19AM

Thanks for the input - I have a trip planned and am not sure what to expect. The batson blank looks nice for what I'm going for. Do you have any suggestions for saltwater guides to go with it? I'm not sure what to buy that will work well with a blank/gold theme.

I really appreciate the suggestions - I haven't built a rod in 10 years and I am lookling forward to getting back into it

Date: July 13, 2011 03:19AM

sorry - meant black/gold colour scheme

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:53AM

Fuji Hardaloys will work nicely ,on a friendly budget level. With good guide foot preperation you should not need underwraps. But if you plan to use them "C" or "D" over size "A" underwraps
you can go A over A if you coat the underwrap with epoxy first

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 11:07AM

I agree with Spencer on the SW967F, that is one awesome blank!! The Penn Conquer is my choice hands down when it comes to heavier spinning reels. Super Smooth, Affordable, Great Line Capacity, and the drag system is insane with nearly twice as many washers. I get a great deal on them if you haven't picked one up yet and would be glad to pass along the discount. I use the 7000 on all my tarpon rods.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 03:48PM

I recommend the Daiwa Saltist spinning reels for heavy work. Almost bulletproof. Manual bail, strong anti-reverse system and tough gearing.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 13, 2011 04:04PM

I think you have to decide if you are fishing braid or mono. Then define how many yards of what you need to hold. With braid and todays "super reels" you can get by with a much smaller reel. You can do things with a 2500 stella that you couldn't with a 750 SS penn.

So will you fish braid or mono and how many yards of what do you think you need? Only salmon in my area are dead and on ice so I have no idea what you need:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 05:27PM

Russel

Whens dinner ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 06:22PM

In 30 minutes Bill. I already have the beer so you don't need to bring anything but your appetite. No salmon though, just country style pig ribs. I'd apologize but that's "high on the hog" for a southern cracker redneck like me:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 06:42PM

Pork ribs --- That is the the only kind I eat Fresh pork Yea !!!!.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Aiello (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:42PM

DCRLVH Virtus Heavy Saltwater Spinning & Casting Guides . with a Gorilla offshore series (CBSW78XH 6'-6" 40-60 test , fast, x-Heavy) .
I just built a heavy Saltwater rod with these guides. My customer told they where unbelievable. He loved the rod and the guides. He went On the east coast for stripers, and hooked onto a tuna with it and worked great. Just some advise from my builds. I also used thread "D" over "A" to lock the guides in. Then epoxied all guides and put a nice red and blue marbled effect on them. I will post pic on photo's soon.

Date: July 28, 2011 07:34PM

Finally decided on a 3 pc. batson saltwater travel blank with the penn conquer 4000 for the reel. HUGE thanks to Kevin at GetBitOutdoors.com for all of his help in putting the build together! The service can't be beat! Highly recommended!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster