I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Clamp?
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2011 09:56PM

What is your guys favorite cork clamp. I cant decide which one from to get the Rod builders one or the flex coat one. Just starting with cork and i don't want to start off on the wrong foot. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Clamp?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 10:25PM

Easy to make your own. You can make one from all thread & a couple of hardwood boards or you can drill a hole in one end of a clamp. There are probably several posted in the photo section already.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2011 10:44PM

Make one better than you can byt [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 01:55AM

Gabe,
Go to the hardware store and buy two or three pieces of 36 inch threaded rod.
Use an abrasive wheel or hack saw to cut the rod into the lengths needed for the clamps.
If you go to Home Depot you can get 10 foot pieces of 13/8 inch threaded rod for $3 in the electrical section.

[www.homedepot.com]

Then, go over to the trim department and pick up a piece of 1 inch by 2 inch hardwood trim board. - get a piece long enough to make a bunch of clamps.

Use your saw to chop up the trim board into lengths suitable for cork clamps. (perhaps 4 inches long)
Use your drill to drill holes into the ends of the boards to thread the rods through. A dozen nuts to secure the ends and you are set to go with a dozen cork clamps of the length that you need for about $5 and an hour of time.

---
The use of the Irwin clamp also work very well and are quick and easy to use. Each has its place.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2011 02:15AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 06:30AM

I am with Mike, I use a modified squeeze clamp

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:51AM

I too agree with Mike. Not that Roger's idea is wrong, just that after you modify the trigger clamp its easier to use.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 09:07AM

Threaded rod, 2 nuts and 2 fender washers (1" OD) works for me.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 09:48AM

Most of the time I use the "modified" Irwin clamp but for split grips I use multiple drilled hardwood boards so I can set the entire handle at one time.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 13, 2011 10:09AM

Gabe,
Especially for shorter grips I will often just stack the rings and glue them up with no mandrel or other inner support in the stack of rings.
In th is case, I almost always use the simple Irwin clamp - no modifications needed. simple, easy and quick.

For these handles, especially for some of the split grips, I will just use 5 minute epoxy and only have to have them in the clamp for about 3 minutes, before I can go and clamp up the next stack of rings.

Take care
Roger

Date: July 13, 2011 10:13AM

Gabe,
Just a little hint that I am sure that you are already aware of:

If you happen to use threaded rod for a clamp - simple easy and inexpensive, and have to have the nuts 1/2 way up the threaded rod - a simple and easy way to do this very quickly is to simply chuck the threaded rod in the chuck of a variable speed drill and quickly run the nut up to the location needed on the threaded rod.

Also, if - after some use - the threaded rod threads happen to get jammed up with cured glue, just hold the nut with a vise grip or other wrench and then use a variable speed drill with the threaded rod inserted into the chuck.
Run the nut up and down the threaded rod a dozen time to easily and quickly clear the junk from the threads.

An obvious hint, but sometimes folks don't happen to use the tools that are at hand to ease their chores.

Roger

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 10:41AM

thanks guys. lol i was waiting for your response roger. ur my go to handyman on RBO.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 11:04AM

To clean the threads I will hold the rod in a drill and as it turns I run a fine tooth hack saw bland in the threads

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 01:39PM

I built a clamp like Mikes only I used rod bond to fasten the wooden pieces to the clamp versus drilling and bolting.
steve

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 08:22PM

If you do look into using a hand clamp, try the link below for a method I and others use.

Jeff

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2011 11:16PM

Date: July 13, 2011 10:13AM

Gabe,
Just a little hint that I am sure that you are already aware of:

If you happen to use threaded rod for a clamp - simple easy and inexpensive, and have to have the nuts 1/2 way up the threaded rod - a simple and easy way to do this very quickly is to simply chuck the threaded rod in the chuck of a variable speed drill and quickly run the nut up to the location needed on the threaded rod.

Also, if - after some use - the threaded rod threads happen to get jammed up with cured glue, just hold the nut with a vise grip or other wrench and then use a variable speed drill with the threaded rod inserted into the chuck.
Run the nut up and down the threaded rod a dozen time to easily and quickly clear the junk from the threads.

An obvious hint, but sometimes folks don't happen to use the tools that are at hand to ease their chores.

Roger

Why not just wrap the all thread with teflon tape? Keeps the adheasive off the threads and the nuts can be tightened right over it. It's also easy to remove upon completion.

Date: July 14, 2011 12:30AM

C,
Do you use a single wrap of teflon tape?

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2011 01:45PM by roger wilson.

Date: July 14, 2011 09:18AM

Roger, I am not sure how to answer. Mine is just ordinary threaded rod with a class 2 thread and USS pitch. I wrap the tape on about a 30 or 40 degree angle with a very slight overlap and I can turn the nut with my fingers.

Date: July 14, 2011 05:47PM

Roger, Yes, I put one layer only. I've never used cork tape, but I suspect that I wrap the tape similar to wrapping cork tape except I do not butt the edges to each other, but overlap them slightly.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 15, 2011 03:19PM

I also use a hand clamp. Finally, after a couple years of using it with a 1/4" mandrel, I bought a bigger clamp that I use with a 3/8" mandrel. I pre drill the rings 3 at a time in my lathe, then glue up on the mandrel, then put that in the lathe and turn the grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster