I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuzzy tie off
Posted by: Jack Tener (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:04PM

I just spent some time wrapping a guide that turned out great, except for one thing. When i made the tie off and cut the thread i thought i was close enough. But once i pulled the line through, i got that ol' fuzzy end sticking up. Since it took some time to wrap, i don't want to have to do it again. My question is what does anyone think would be the better thing to do. Should i take the chance and try to cut the fuzz, or should i try to burn it off? I'm trying to figure out the best and safest to do this. Appreciate any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuzzy tie off
Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:32PM

I would seperate the wrap where you pulled the thread through just enough to get a razor blade between the wraps and cut it down at the blank then burnish the wrap tight....no fuzz....no tag...no worries!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:55PM

Put on a coat of finish.

Razor blade: trim off the "nub" once finish has cured

Put on a 2nd coat of finish

Be happy

DR

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 04:05PM

Get Bit Outdoors.Com Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would seperate the wrap where you pulled the
> thread through just enough to get a razor blade
> between the wraps and cut it down at the blank
> then burnish the wrap tight....no fuzz....no
> tag...no worries!

Get Bit.....you must have a steady hand. Everytime I ever tried that I ended up re-wrapping! :)

I just try to open the wrap and bury it with my burnishing tool.....it works most of the time.

Then I do what Duane has siggested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2011 04:06PM by Joe Willsen.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 05:01PM

Duanes method works for me also

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns7.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2011 05:35PM

Hi Jack,
If you've got a pair of hermostats use them to grap hold of the thread and then cut it off. They're very useful for stuff like that including pulling the tag end tight before you cut it off. If it's fairly large and you burn it you'll get a knob of melted nylon and you'll have to cut it off after your first coat of finish. Cut as much off as you can before you melt it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 05:55PM

Jack,
Just take a razor blade, cut off the guide and rewrap it.
Practice never hurts and you will be good to go.

Roger

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: July 12, 2011 06:10PM

If it's too difficult to open the wrap and get a razor in between the threads, then use two razors facing each other (kind of like scissors) to carefully trim the fuzz. After that, epoxy and trim any remnants as Duane suggested.

Dane.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2011 07:25PM

2nd vote for removing the old wrap and starting over. I know it is hard to wrap them at first. Each one gets easier and you will get better at it as you go. Did you prepare your guide feet ?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 11:39PM

Duane hit the nail on the head. That’s what I do and it always comes out perfect. Although Roger is right, practice too makes perfect.

Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 02:04AM

Jack,
Lots of ways to trim thread, but I prefer the use of very fine tipped fly tying scissors. These scissors with very large finger holes make quick and easy work of closely trimming tag ends.
The huge advantage of scissors, is that you never nick a wrap when trimming.

When I first started, I always used fresh one sided razor blades. Although these worked very well, it was very easy to nick a wrap with it later failing when you lest expected it to happen.
Early on, I had the misadventure to nick a few wraps, which required re wraps of the guides. One day I was over at another rod shop and the lead builder used fly tying scissors. I bought a pair of scissors those many years ago and have never used a razor blade since. No need to use a razor blade and I sharpen the scissors about once a year.

With respect to a bad tag end on a wrap. Certainly I have had a few bad cuts and or fuzzies over the years. After spending a tremendous amount of time trying to get in an extra wrap, clear a fuzzy, or some other repair on a guide wrap, I have come to the conclusion, that if the wrap did not go quickly and cleanly and is not perfect - I just shear off the wrap, re tape the guide and redo the wrap.

It is much much easier and quicker to cut off the guide and rewrap it than trying to fix a messy end, a missed wrap, a bad pack or any of another possible issues with a guide wrap.l

Bottom line, finish the wrap cut the tag end and inspect. If not perfect, cut off the guide and do it again. No sense crying over it or fussing over it. Just cut it off, redo and you will quickly be on your way.

Stuff happens. No big deal. Move on.

Be safe and enjoy wrapping.

Roger

p.s.
After the first many many wraps, it is easier.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 07:26AM

Simply take your thumbnail and pull the section of the wrap that holds the tag end toward the tip and the tag will disappear.

Don't have a thumbnail? Grow them. They are the most important tools any rodbuilder can have.

Posted by: Jack Tener (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 09:52PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to check them all out again, and see what one i do. I may end up re-wrapping the guide, but like they say that's all part of the learning experience. Thanks again guys. Jack

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (---.lns3.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 15, 2011 09:23PM

Kevin has right idea. I use a pointed thread tool to open where tag comes through and manipulate tag bakc under. Then just close wrap. I get a bit nervous with razor blades incase I cut bind or slip and mark rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster