I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding tiny object:
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 12:34PM

I think that this method can work very well when you are looking for small micros on the floor in your work shop.

I was helping the neighbor boy work on his motorcycle and we were in the process of overhauling his carbs on his bike. The job was done, but when double checking, I realized that a blast from the sir hose had dislodged a carb jet about the size of a freckle somewhere in the garage.

Before starting any type project in the garage, I always make a point of using the air hose to blow all of the dust off of the shelves, walls, ceilings and floors and out the door.

You never know when you might lose or drop something and having a very clean floor really helps to find things.
At any rate, after looking for about 15 minutes for the very tiny jet that was a circle about 1/16th inch in diameter we gave up the search. The neighbor indicated that he would go and order the jet. He came back about an hour later and came to talk to me in the shop. I was finishing up a rod and he asked for a magnifying glass and a bright light to continue his search. I complied and later went out to help.

I decided to try a technique that I had seen on "Myth busters" to to help located the tiny carb jet. I took a small piece of wire, and snipped off tiny piece of wire insulation. I then put them on the work bench and hit the insulation pieces with the blow gun - in a manner similar to what I had done with the carb jet. I blew about a dozen brightly colored bits of insulation off the bench and then went to look for the dispersal pattern.

I was surprised to find that the pieces had not blown nearly as far as where we had been looking for the carb jet.

About a minute later, I found the carb jet - about the size of a freckle on the concrete garage floor about a foot from my dispersal pattern of insulation bits.

So, the next time you lose a micro - you might try the dispersal pattern - with something of similar size and weight of a micro - that is very bright and easy to see.

Good hunting.

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding tiny object:
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:28PM

I usually find the micros I lost the next time l approach my bench without shoes on.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:41PM

For $2 just grab a new one.

How about using a magnet?

Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.wcht.ks.pixius.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:48PM

Regardless of price I'm betting they wanted the jet right then rather than wait a week for one to come in. Also lots of jets are brass. Magnets probably won't do much good.

Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.wcht.ks.pixius.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:49PM

Neat idea btw. I'll try it some time.

Posted by: Jason Brown (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:01PM

The easiest way I have come up with to find things that have hit the floor and vanished,
is to stretch a piece of pantyhose over the shop vac and vacuum, leave enough slack that it can go into the tube a few inches, and presto, you have an instant filter.
It works surprisingly well for picking up all sorts of things.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:08PM

Tom,
Exactly. He wanted to be riding the bike that night and he did.
You are right, the tiny jet was brass.

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:37PM

We talking abotu jets or Micro guides?

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:32PM

Charles -
I like your idea on the shop vac a LOT more than Fred's "no shoes" approach - LOL

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:42PM

The way I find lost things is to stop looking for them, I alwys find what I lost by giving up the search and moving on. Another way I find lost items is to ask my wife to look for them, she always asks the same question... where did you see it last?? Nothing can be hidden from her, on purpose or otherwise :)

Walt Davenport
"Roadhouse Rods"

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2011 03:47PM

Good ideas, good stuff!!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 09:29AM

When I want to find something I have lost I just buy a replacement and then ....PRESTO! The lost item reappears. Works every time.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.154.---)
Date: July 27, 2011 05:54PM

An ounce of prevention. . .

Stick a 1/2 inch length of bright cable tie through the eye of the micro until you get it secure on the rod. If you drop it , it is easy to find.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster