I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selecting a mini lathe for rod building?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 05:16PM

I'm considering purchasing a mini lathe to help in my rod building. I've done enough things by hand and would prefer to move on to a more precise and efficient means to turn handles, make inserts, and possibly create some of my own components. Will $200 to $500 get me something decent with an extension bed? What brand/model have you found to be the most versatile, well built, and reasonably priced to get top notch results? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selecting a mini lathe for rod building?
Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.asbnva.dhcp.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 05:59PM

I purchased a Rikon from Woodcraft and I am more than pleased. I paid $250.00 on sale and they paid the pstg. It has been a great machine. Sammy Mikel put me onto this as he has one as well. There are many more out there that are more expensive with more bells and whistles, but for turning cork on a steel mandrel it does an awsome job. Whatch the Woodcraft website, they put it on sale frequently.

Good Luck,

Pat

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:07PM

Excelsior mini is on sale at Rockler right now for $200. Bed extension available for another $80. It's the model I use and has suited me well.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:47PM

I'm with Pat.

I own the Rikon and it's a GREAT machine. It's bed is LONGER than most mini lathes: you wont need a bed extension unless you turn really long grips. We have a local Woodcraft and I just drove over, bought it and took it home.

DR

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 09:00PM

You can buy a Jet 1220 for less than $400. IMO, that will actually offer you much more. Increased power, plenty of room between centers without an extension, integrated work light, etc. It is a very nice and reliable piece of equipment for the price.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 11:53PM

the jet is the standard, but don't count out the rikon, delta, or PSI. they are all good and will serve you well in rodbuilding and other turning ventures. I would recommend a bed extension, even on the rikon to allow you to center bore on the lathe. you need to factor in the cost of tools, chuck, mandrels, something to sharpen tools,etc. the lathe is only part of the cost. you will spend atleast that much on the accessories needed tp turn. I would recommend taking a class and/or getting to know your local turners. their advice and experience will advance you tremendously in your learning curve. then it takes time on the lathe to learn. after you have turned for awhile you should develop a feel for the speed and tools that work best for you and the material you are working with

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 12:44AM

Almost all of the lathes are built in the same factory overseas, just marketed with a different name. My PSI Turncrafter Pro, looks just like the Harbor freight ,excelsior, and some other brands
Just make sure you get one with a longe enough distance between centers or get the extension. Mine is 14" between centers and does everything I need it to do. It does not take a whole lot of power to shape a cork grip, turn an insert or even turn a wooden handle.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Sam Hightower (---.mediageneral.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 07:39AM

I'm with Dwayne and Pat. I bought the Rikon several years ago (on sale) at Woodcraft. I also bought the stand and put locking wheels underneath. I roll it out and lock down the wheels when I'm using it and then roll it out of the way when finished.

Sam

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 02:11PM

Another good source for good lathes:

[www.pennstateind.com]

REW

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 05:40PM

I got the PSI and wish I had the Jet.

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: July 13, 2011 06:29PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got the PSI and wish I had the Jet.

Why's that Chuck? I have a brand new PSI and extension table sitting in my garage waiting for me to clear some space for it. Did I make a huge mistake?

Regards,

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster