I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jersey shore flounder/fluke rod?
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 08:26AM

I have a dear friend who travels from Ohio to the Jersey shore each Summer to drift the bays for flounder and fluke. He fishes with 30 year old junk and I want to build an heirloom rod for him. I know very little about this kind of fishing. He likes conventional, and he drift fishes with some type of "flounder rig". Is anybody familiar with this type of fishing. and do you have any ideas about rod size, action, butt length, etc.? Is high modulus graphite sensitivity a plus for this type of fishing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2011 08:28AM by John Gaylord.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jersey shore flounder/fluke rod?
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 09:14AM

John, I know this kind of fishing a bit, and last year, when I went to the Rod Expo, one of the things on my to do list was to find the perfect light / backbay Jersey fluking blank. I'd found it somewhat difficult to find the perfect combination of light/sensitive tip, action, and power / beef in the butt section.

Out of all the blanks I fondled, the one I liked the most, and the one I ended up ordering when I got home (I didn't buy it there because I was flying home) was one of the "Blend" blanks in Mudhole's MXH series. The model number, if I recall correctly, was CB843. At seven feet, it was just about perfect for what guys in the Jersey back bays do when fluke fishing, which is usually either fishing lighter bucktails in the 3/8-1.5 oz range, or using a sinker about the same size, with either live bait (mummichogs/minnows) or chunk bait (herring strips, squid strips, etc). And the finished rod, which is conventional with a small baitcasting reel in the Abu 5500 size class, has performed very well, so well, in fact, that I don't have it anymore (my brother, who fishes this way a lot more than I do, stole it from me).

There are probably 300 blanks that will work well for the kind of fishing that you're doing, so keep in mind that this is just one of them. But even if you don't pick this one, you can use it as a guide: unless your guy uses an ususual setup, or fishes in an unusual ways, a lightish blank that's 7 feet long is going to be just the ticket for him: if you went to a Jersey tackle shop, and asked for a rod for back bay fluking, that's probably what would be recommended to you (if you got a good recommendation, that is).

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 09:26AM

"Jersey Shore?" - Make sure you get guides that whine.

Posted by: Richard Beecher (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 09:44AM

I'm a hardcore flounder fisherman and have used a number of different rods from different companies. My favorite blank by far and the one I use for all tournaments is the MHX L 842. Just enough power to enjoy the fight and get your fish on the boat. I tried the L844 for flounder and it has a bit too much power for my liking unless you've latched on to a 10+ pounder

Kiss her where it stinks......... take her to New Jersey

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 09:59AM

I drift for fluke quite a bit in the NY Bight....right across the channel from "The Jersey Side". We are often in 30-50 feet of water and in a stiff breeze or with a strong tide moving , you need 4 or 5 ounces of lead.

You really need to know if he is in the back-bays as some have said or if he is out on the Tin Can Grounds a mile or so offshore.

Date: July 11, 2011 10:11AM

Joe, primarily back bays.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 11:03AM

Im built an mhx L843 and thats the sweet spot. just enough to hold the amount of lead. can get the bigger fluke in. still light, and very sensitive. cant go wrong. plus its like 50 bucks!

Date: July 11, 2011 01:48PM

Gabe, I don't find an L843. Only L842 and L844.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:26PM

sorry... meant to say mb843. i looked at Richards post and it must have stuck with me.. woops. but yeah mb843.

Date: July 11, 2011 02:26PM

sorry... meant to say mb843. i looked at Richards post and it must have stuck with me.. woops. but yeah mb843.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 04:01PM

If Jersey flounder are anything like Florida flounder, you'll want something with a light enough tip to cast light lures or bait, sensitive enough to fell that nibble but enough power in the butt to drive a hook when they are just holding it in their mouth.
That said, I'd look at either the MHX HM-P842 or the MHX L842, depending on your line and lure weight range. Either would be a good blank and well worth the money.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 04:15PM

Whatever you do John be sure to post a pic when you are done!

Good luck.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 05:00PM

I just got back form fishign in Raritan Bay, this is the only fishing I do in teh summer fo rFluke. Usually you fish with less than 6oz if you are halfway a sharpie and use braided line. All the recomendations so far are on teh money, there really are a lot of blank choices fo rthis appliacation. OYu do not need a rod that is overly sensitive at all, depending on what this guy is used to, a graphite rod might not be a good choice. If he's using an ugly stick with a noodle tip, which a LOT of people do, then oyu might want ot look into a composite or all glass rod, as oppsoed ot eh graphite rods with a faster stiffer action, becaus ehe will not like it at all until he adapts and gets used to the different feel and style of fishing.

Try to find out specificaly wha tthe rod he is using is like, and what reel and lin ehe uses. Also find out if he's on a party boat or private boat

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.sub-174-252-141.myvzw.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 05:58PM

Billy,
Apparently fluking is way different up there than here.

Date: July 11, 2011 07:02PM

i dont want to mislead you so im going to give you some more info.

i just realized that the mb843 was not the blank i built...but it was the mb844. its really a great blank. if he likes real light fishing,,, mb843 all the way.. for party boats def. 844.
the 844 can hold the lead, and is very good for buck tailing. split grip and spiral wrapped is the way to go. have fun.

Date: July 11, 2011 07:03PM

i dont want to mislead you so im going to give you some more info.

i just realized that the mb843 was not the blank i built...but it was the mb844. its really a great blank. if he likes real light fishing,,, mb843 all the way.. for party boats def. 844.
the 844 can hold the lead, and is very good for buck tailing. split grip and spiral wrapped is the way to go. have fun.

Date: July 12, 2011 09:08AM

Thanks to all!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 01:36PM

Billy where do you rate yourself in that "sharpie" range ? Just courius. Had a good time on that trip. The striped fluke suit was the best.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2011 07:16PM

I'm halfway Sharp, which makes me dull. I'm glad you came out, I wish your Dad had joined us. The pics were instant classic, there's more to fishing than catching fish, good group of guys, good convo's all day, I hope t do it again in a few weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster