I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide wrapping
Posted by: jim ellis (173.19.172.---)
Date: July 09, 2011 08:25PM

I am having trouble with very small guides. I cannot get the tape to hold the guide while I wrap. any help appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wrapping
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.242.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 08:44PM

I think you have to just keep on practicing. I use a lot of 3mm guides, and hold them on while wrapping with masking tape. Tried the rubber tubing, cut into small pieces, but couldn't find a small enough tube to hold guides on the very tip end of a blank.
So, I just went back to tape. For the tip, I cut a piece, with scissors, across the width of a 3/4" roll of blue tape. Cut it very thin. It holds the guide well enough so that I can get a good bit of thread on the guide foot before removing the tape. After hundreds of guides, I can do these as easily as a 6mm.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2011 09:09PM

1/16 inch Auto motive pin stripping tape works for me

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2011 09:32PM

This is going to sound odd, but I'd suggest you swap tape brands. Some do work better than others.

Also, tear a narrow strip and place it on the guide foot, then place the guide foot on the blank and press the ends of the tape against the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 09:48PM

Jim,
A very common problem when taping guides - something that I constantly have to correct for myself - is touching the tape before using it to hold the guide.

the problem is that if you touch the end of the tape that you are going to use to hold the guide, the skin oils keep the tape from sticking.

To solve this problem, I start off cutting pieces of tape off of a roll.
I grab the end of the tape with my fingers to get the tape started.

I pull off a bit, then cut the end of the tape - long so that there is a good deal coming off of the end of the roll.
Then, I use the roll to move the free end to the side of the work bench. Pull the tape off and continue cutting strips, with no finger contact.

Then, when you use the untouched tape to hold the guide, grab the tape at one end - getting skin oil on it, but use the untouched end to affix the tape to the blank and to the guide.

Take a couple of wraps, and trim off some of the excess.

With no skin oil on the end of the tape, the tape will stick just fine to the blank and to the guides.

But with skin oil on the end of the tape, the tape will almost never stick very well to the blank and the guides.

Good wraps.

Roger

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2011 10:52PM

I use orthodontic bands. I have both the really small ones that are used for brackets on braces and the slightly larger ones used on the wires for braces. It helps that my youngest son has braces so I have access to these. They also sell them on some websites. They work really well for me. Do a search on this topic and also look in the pictures posted here. There are many different ideas for securing micros while wrapping.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 11:52PM

When you have a chance use the search feature and you'll find a couple additional ideas like using monofilament and tying a uni knot around the blank and then slipping it over the foot and tightening it up, Also cutting a rubber band and tightly tying in around the guide is another method . Then there is Flex Coat Adhesive.

Bill Davidor

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2011 09:28AM

I have found latex tubing small enough to hold the guides, most RC hobby shops will have some.

Posted by: Joe Camillo (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 11:08AM

Consider trying G-S HYPO CEMENT. The 1/3 oz tube has a precision needle point applicator and the cement dries clear and remains flexible.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2011 12:06PM

This might work I use them extensivly Jim

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 10, 2011 06:23PM

Flex Coat guide foot adhesive to the rescue!! Give it a try it really works.

Posted by: Al Layton (---.quaintcompany.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 06:32PM

I have had good luck using twist ties from a common loaf of bread bag.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2011 07:22PM

I share your problem. I did what others here suggested. Get your wrap started....3....5 turns, whatever you can manage. Then hold the guide on top of your wrap and wrap right over it. After about ten wraps wiggle it and pull it forward as needed. You will pull a few of them totally out until you get the hang of it. Align the guide and burnish/pack as needed and then finish the wrap off as normal. For me it was easier than trying to bother with tape. My fingers are too fat!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 07:40PM

I go with the guide foot adhesive also. or, you can pick up f a roll of fuel line tubing for just a few bucks at the Hobby stores for model airplanes and cars.

My roll is not marked but I would guess there is at least 25 feet and I paid under $5.00

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: jim ellis (173.19.172.---)
Date: July 10, 2011 10:01PM

can you e-mail me? John Sams your e-mail was undeliverable. Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2011 10:04PM by jim ellis.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 10, 2011 10:08PM

No it is working find from my end.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 10:14PM

Based on advice I received here, I also started beginning the wrap, making about five turns and then sticking the end of the micro foot under the wrap. Holds fine and then you just proceed on up the foot. This also lets you align the guide perfectly before the wrap is complete. Just stick the end of the foot under there and and align and then finish wrapping. Easy as pie.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 01:33AM

James,
Is that a good analogy?
As you walk down the halls of life, how many really good pies have you eaten?
How long does it take to make a really good pie?
It takes my wife about 20 minutes to make an excellent pie.

So, since you said that "it is easy as pie", does that mean that it takes 20 minutes to wrap one guide; or 200 minutes to wrap 10 guides on an average rod?

I am sure that that is not what you meant, but I thought I would ask.

Be safe and do enjoy your pie, whether it is Peach, cherry, or raisin pie. They are all great when made correctly.

I am sure that all of your rods look great as well since I am sure that you wrap them well as well.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
Great idea on the use of a few wraps to hold the guides. Have used that method before and it does work very well!

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 11, 2011 06:43AM

Guide prep and1/16 inch graphic art tape from the hobby store works for me.
steve

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 07:56AM

OK, We will forget the old saying, easy as making pie since it looks like there is some question as to whether its really easy to make a pie or not. But it is easy to wrap a micro guide.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster