I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Plugs
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 09, 2011 05:57PM

Are Ferrule Plugs necessary in the male end of a rod section of a tip over butt connection on a rod blank? I have some Diamondglass fly rod blanks that do not have them. All the other rod blanks I have dealt with that are tip over butt have ferrule plugs in the male end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Plugs
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 07:46PM

Mix up some rod bond or some 5 min bond and push it into the end . Whip it off sand if needed and it will ad a strong end that should not split

Check the fit of the tip section I aways sad the tip to round it off after dry

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 07:48PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 09:51PM

Bill,
I have a variety of various sizes of solid blanks. I simply chop off a bit of blank of the right size, use a drill to spin the blank and a belt sander to sand about 1/2 inch of the solid blank so that it is a nice fit on the inside of the blank that needs to be plugged.
Mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy, glue in the plug and let dry. Then, chop off the rest of the plug that is sticking out of the end of the blank. Total time about 1 minute.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 04:37PM

Better yet. Sharpen the end of a rifle case, such as a .243 or .308 and punch out a slug about 1/4 inch long from a piece of EVA . Smear a little Rod Bond on it, stuff it in the hole, wipe it down, trim it off with a razor blade and let it go. I keep 4 or 5 different size rifle cases sharpened up and ready to use just for that and plugging holes in EVA but caps. I don't want to put any solid mass nor extra weight into the sections of a nice Fly Blank. I'm just particular about things like that I guess.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 10, 2011 09:18PM

Jay,
EVA works great as a plug to keep junk out of a blank, but I prefer to have a solid plug to insure that there is no possibllty of blank compression.

But all ideas for the right job are great.

Roger

Date: July 10, 2011 10:29PM

Roger; At full load, or less, the blank is going oval, it doesn't stay round. If it doesn't go oval to a degree it will most likely break earlier than it is designed to. That is why the manufacturers put a little black rubber plug in them, or nothing at all. They are allowing the blank that freedom of compression, or going oval shaped to help prevent early failure. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 11, 2011 01:34AM

Jay,
Makes perfect sense to me.

Roger

Date: July 11, 2011 07:59AM

With the tip of a two piece rod inserted into a ferrule I can not see it going oval ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 11, 2011 11:01AM

Bill;
Any cylindrical tube will go oval in a longitudinal bend, even steel. That's why we build big buildings and bridges with "H" beams instead of pipe when pipe would be about 1/3 rd the cost. Even with two cylinders mated together, one inside the other, they will still go oval when bent enough. A cylinder / tube is at it's strongest when the weight /force is applied to the ends. You will see a lot of metal buildings with the roof supported by pipe standing vertical. Also , you will never see a horizontal bridge beam made out of pipe.

Any time you prevent a cylinder / rod blank from going oval during a bend you are helping it git to an early failure.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 11, 2011 02:48PM

i can see you point I just have not had any fail

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2011 06:47PM

Thanks for the info! I like Jay's idea the best. I figured the plugs were really for "us" to not crush the male end and to keep debris out of them. Thanks again for all those that offered tips.

Date: July 11, 2011 08:25PM

Bill;
Take some different caliber rifle cases, punch out the spent primer from the inside with a nail or a pin punch. Sharpen the bullet end on the inside with a pocket knife, just scrape around the inside edge until it's sharp. It's easier than doing it with a file on the outside.
You can easily stick it right through the side of a scrap piece of EVA grip. Now that you have the little slug of EVA inside of the neck of the rifle case, how do you get it out ? Straighten out a large size paper clip and push it out from the primer hole.
Now you can make all the different size ferrule plugs you will ever need. Put them in a little zip-lok bag, stick it in drawer. And if you are like me , you will forget where you put them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster