I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal problem
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 08:55PM

I just had a peel and stick decal de-laminate. I applied epoxy directly to the decal. Should I have used CP first? Has anyone seen a decal de-laminate before? I've never had an issue with decals in the past.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal problem
Posted by: Daniel Glenn Eason (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 09:51PM

at what stage of build did the decal delaminate George? i would assume it was first coat after applying the decal.

Date: July 08, 2011 10:40PM

Yep, it happened while the first coat of epoxy was still wet.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Dion Woodfield (---.lns2.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 09, 2011 12:18AM

Sounds like contamination on blank to make decal lift. Was it an adhesive decal or water slide? Only thing I can think of is put decal on and wait couple hrs to see if it lifts. If no lifting,then apply epoxy.

Date: July 09, 2011 12:25AM

Only the top part of the decal lifted. The bottom layer stayed perfectly affixed to the blank. The top layer of the decal separated from the bottom layer.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 06:35AM

If you are talking the new peel and stick decals from Decal Connection, there is a backing sheet, the decal itself and then a third layer that is there to allow you to press the decal down. You remove that top layer after the decal is in place. These new peel and stick decals are made in the same kind of process as vinyl decals like you might apply to your vehicle.

Date: July 09, 2011 07:35AM

it isnt necessarily contamination. most of our epoxy resins contain stable solvents. when applied they can dissolve the adhesive backing of most decals. especially if the adhesive is chemically weak or the bond is not continuous, allowing the epoxy to penetrate areas of the adhesive other than the outer edges. Usually a good bond over the entire surface area of the decal prevents the adhesive being dissolved except around the very edges.

I have been experimenting with/ using the deft water based polyurethane mentioned a month or so ago, and have had excellent results. after applying decals i now coat the entire decal and the edges, preventing the adhesive from coming into contact with the epoxy, and thereby eliminating this problem.

Date: July 09, 2011 07:58AM

It looks like the adhesive backing separated from the decal. Is there an easy fix at this point? Most of the decal is fine. There are just a couple of points where it has lifted. I'm wondering if I can glue them down and then apply the next coat of epoxy. If that doesn't work, how do I remove the decal without damaging the inscription on the opposite side?

Date: July 09, 2011 11:38AM

if there is only minimal epoxy buildup on the underside of the decal, and that the laminate were it to be adhered, would lay flat, i would suggest you apply a 5 min 2 part epoxy in small amounts to adhere the decal laminate to the blank once more. to get the decal to lay flat while the epoxide bonds you can wrap wax paper tight to the rod, by affixing the ends with masking tape.

personally i would remove and reapply if extra decals were available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster