I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gloomis 8400
Posted by: Rob Borgsmiller (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 02:42PM

Whats goin on fellow rod builders? Its been awhile since I've been here forgot my info so have a new profile. Anyway, I havent been keeping up with the industry and come to find out Loomis isnt making blanks anymore. Find something you like and then they don't make it no more story of my life.. Anyone have any 8400's they want to sell? GL2 or three, IMX preferred..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gloomis 8400
Date: July 08, 2011 04:20PM

Hey I'm open to suggestion as well. I've bought a couple 841's as well, from loomis and rainshadow/forecast I believe and they just arent sensitive/fast enough for me. The loomis hotshot blank cut down to 7' has good action but in a different way. I live in south texas and wadefish the bays and surf throwing mostly 1/8 to 3/8 lures, 10 to 12 lb test, casting distance being of utmost importance.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2011 04:39PM

Rob Borgsmiller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey I'm open to suggestion as well. I've bought a
> couple 841's as well, from loomis and
> rainshadow/forecast I believe and they just arent
> sensitive/fast enough for me. The loomis hotshot
> blank cut down to 7' has good action but in a
> different way. I live in south texas and wadefish
> the bays and surf throwing mostly 1/8 to 3/8
> lures, 10 to 12 lb test, casting distance being
> of utmost importance.

You are a candidate for a Lamiglas XMG LP842. I have an idea that you will REALLY like that particular blank.

Date: July 08, 2011 04:48PM

Hey thanks Jim, I'm really into alot of "bending" in the tip, despise a stiff blank, can ya give me some comparison to where and when the rod bends? Thanks.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 06:37PM

Yes but Gary Loomis is producing new blank for the industry, just under the name of North Fork Composites.

Date: July 08, 2011 08:33PM

Thanks. Will check that out. Lamiglas suggests the IMP 843. All opinions welcome.

Posted by: Michael Titone (---.tmodns.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 09:27PM

I am in South Texas myself and fish the Laguna Madre for reds, trout, and flounder. I came across a MHX sj 842 that has some great action that as far as I am concerned it compares to my Gary Loomis rod. I fish soft plastics in shallow water. Its a rod worth looking at.Its not gonna cost you like a Loomis rod, but I really like it.

Date: July 08, 2011 09:58PM

Thanks Michael, I looked at their website. They list a P842 MHX with a lure weight of 1/16 to 3/8 which is a little lighter than the spin jig's rating. Man I wish you didnt have to build and use these things to know. Anyone here have experience with both of these or opinions of the differences. Yeah, I have ocd's about my gear, or at least about getting the right blank before I put in the effort to build it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2011 10:10PM

Mud Hole had a good inventory of the final Loomis blanks. Call them and see what they may have.

Date: July 08, 2011 11:26PM

Yes sir they did, I had already called before I posted here, they dont have any 8400's. There are a couple of websites I haven't dealt with that claim to have them, I am awaiting responses from them. Fishing Tackle Unlimited here in Houston bought a bunch of them too right when they were going out, but I was too late for the 8400's. It looks like MHX has several blanks that have specs I'm looking for, probably going to talk to those folks as well as lamiglas, I have two surf rods I've built using their blanks and I cant say enough about them. As well I will probably be back to ask for more opinions, and will post my findings once I put whatever I decide on to use. Thanks for the response.

Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 12:33AM

I just received 2 Lamiglas LP844 XMG blanks in the mail today and I got to tell you that they are very fast. I have not had a chance to measured them yet but they are probably close to extra fast. All I can tell you is that they are way faster than any popping rod I have handled before including Loomis P844 GLX and faster than Lamiglas IMP series. My 2 cents.

Date: July 09, 2011 08:59AM

Thank you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 02:59PM

You might also check out the Phenix line of blanks.
Excellent quality and light weight as well.

[www.mudhole.com]

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2011 03:05PM

Date: July 09, 2011 04:32PM

Thanks everyone. I think I may have misstated what I'm looking for. I'm mostly concerned with the action. I want a ex fast tip with med to med lt power so I can really load up on casts. I lift weights so I've never tired out from the weight of a rod and reel.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.145.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2011 03:52PM

I would also like to recommend the SJ8600-MHX, IMX equivalent at a great price.

SJ8600-MHX New Blank Model

7'2" 6-12 1/16 - 3/8 Fast Med-Lt .488 OD 4.5 Top

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: July 11, 2011 10:04AM

Thanks everybody. You guys always offer so much of you time to help others out. I'm also now considering a dropshot so if anyone has opinions they are certainly welcome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster