I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another line weight question
Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: July 08, 2011 01:26PM

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since I've visited the board and I'm glad to see things are still going strong.

I know I'm asking a question that has been beat to death but it is really more of a question about the kind of fishing I'm planning. So here goes... I am in the process of rebuilding a Fiver Rivers FT 9' 8wt fly rod that I broke years ago to take to the Florida Keys to hunt for bonefish. I will be wading the flats (can't afford a guide on this trip) and this is a type of fishing that I have never done. So the question is what line weight should I use? I know that the rod specs out with an ern between 9-10 and that the longer the cast the lower line weight is better. For this type of fishing, by a novice, should I expect more short-range or long casts? If anyone has used one of these rods for bones I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks for your help and patience,

Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another line weight question
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 08, 2011 01:48PM

I'm not a fly fisherman but I do live in the area. For bonefish a seven weight is common. Move up to an eight weight on windy days of if a permit is on the menu. For redfish an eight weight is common too and would do for backcountry snook and baby tarpon.

Windy days can make you job harder and bonefish are skitterish so I'd count on needing long cats. The fish aren't real strong but man can they make a run.

A eight weight should be a good compromise. Get a good quality fly line intended for warm waters. I'd want at least 200 yards of backing and a very nice drag. If you have never caught one you will be surprised at the speed and length of the runs.

Giving that you are wading you could run into quite a variety of fish....anything from sharks and cuda to tarpon, bones, permits to snappers and jacks. Middle keys I assume?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 08, 2011 01:59PM

Thanks for the info Russ. I'll be staying in Key West but I've heard that the best shore access to the flats is in the Middle Keys. So I'll be doing some driving to get to the fish. Any info on good places to go will also be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2011 02:08PM

Peter, the best thing for you to do is head to a local fly shop that you have done business with before and ask them if they have a couple of 8 and 9 wt saltwater floating lines that you could test on your rod. I would pick the line that will load the rod properly so that you can comfortably cast from 50 to 80 feet. You may not need to cast 80 feet, but it is nice to know that you and the rod can do it if needed. A good saltwater line is going to run 60 to 80 bucks. 8wts are very versatile rods, I use mine for strippers, carp, bass, list goes on. I'll also second what Russ said above. Enjoy!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2011 02:25PM

If you can give me the ERN, I'd be able to pretty closely match some line weights per distance for you.

Date: July 08, 2011 02:54PM

Bill, the fly shop route is out as there aren't any near by that can help. That and I don't have the rod put back together yet.

Tom, I never determined the ern for this specific rod, but on the CCS data site there are two people that listed erns of 9.74 and 10.63 for the same rod.

Thanks again,

Peter

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2011 03:21PM

Okay, that's a pretty wide spread and I doubt that the quality control was off that far, so I'll figure on somewhere in the middle being at least close.

Your rod will be excellent for throwing a long length (full line) of 8-weight line. It'll do about as well at the same distance with a 9-weight line. A 10-weight will work too, but at more modest distances.

You didn't list an AA for the blank, but I know most of the Five Rivers blanks are fairly fast. This is to your advantage as it allows you to cast off the tip when using the lighter lines mentioned here.

If it were me, I'd probably line it with a WF-9 for best all around use. This would allow longer casts without overloading the rod and with the very fast tip you could still do well under 50-feet.

Date: July 08, 2011 03:48PM

Thanks Tom, your information helps a lot. I've been thinking that the 9wt would be best but I really don't know what I'm getting into fishing-wise. Oh yeah, the AAs listed are 70 and 73.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 08, 2011 05:16PM

I wish I could help more but as I said I'm not fly fishing yet:(

I'd say average size is in the 6-9 pound range. Fall is better for the big ones and spring/summer is better for numbers. IIRC 16 of the 23 records were caught in the keys so the big ones are there. Bonefish are notorious for being difficult. Sometimes anything less than perfect will spook them. Personally I'd cheat and bring a spinner and some live shrimp also. Being that you will be low it is going to be hard for you to spot the fish a long ways off and plan your stalk. Quality sunglasses are a must. Plan your dress with as much attention as a turkey hunter would use.

If you wouldn't consider it cheating you can drill some holes in a 2" PVC pipe, stick the end in the sand, and fill it with crushed shrimp and chum them up. Kick back in your folding lawn chair and enjoy a cool one till you see some tailing action:) And now you know why I'm not a fly fisherman...LOL!

From what I hear the ability to accurately place a long cast quickly in any wind condition is the single biggest skill to work on. Probably best to cast a little long and in front of the fish and slowly work the fly back towards the fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chip Clark (24.224.117.---)
Date: July 08, 2011 08:26PM

For a non-fly fisherman Russ sure knows his stuff. As he points out, if you are wading you are unlikely to spot a bonefish more than 50 feet away unless they are tailing, or the water is dead calm over a white sand bottom. Bonefish are notoriously spooky, and Keys bones particularly so, perhaps because of fishing pressure. With no wind you might consider dropping to a 6 or 7 weight for a more delicate presentation. A splashed fly will send a bonefish fleeing for the closest exit. Good luck! Your first bonefish hook up is a memorable experience.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2011 10:47PM

Well thank you Chip. Just trying to be helpful. Totally agree that spotting the fish before they spot you is key. Ditto on fishing pressure. Early morning, calmm water, low light, low sun angle might be his best option. On the other hand no waves means the fish sees you better too. Hard to call. He is asking for advice on perhaps the most difficult quarry. Even an experienced local would be hard pressed to have success wading for bones.

Only other tidbit I can offer is don't overlook the west/florida bay side. Not so much flats but maybe come low tide you could find a couple hanging in the deeper channels. That is where the spinner and some shrimp can save the day. Lacking that another spool/reel and an intermediate line might be worthwhile. I'd add a crab pattern to the arsenal.

A kayak or anything might be worth the price. Flats off places as far north as Elliot key hold fish and get less pressure but can't be reached by wading.

I still remember my first bone. Gotta be at least 40 years ago. I remember looking at the fish in total astonishment and wondering just how he managed to rip 150 yards of the spool in a NY second but only weigh so little.

From the email I assume Indiana. If you are coming all that way do yourself a favor and don't cheap out. In addtion to the flats, and since you are staying in Key West, do hit dry tortugas and marqueses. Gear up for anything from nice muttons and big grouper to cobia and smoker kingfish. A 40# cobia on an 8 weight is my idea of fun. In you are coming in the summer months ditto on dolphin on a fly (in winter make it sailfish for a truly life long memory). Fishing ain't what it once was but it is still darn good. If I knew time of year I could give better advice. If in doubt remember nothing beats live bait in these waters.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 11, 2011 01:35PM

Hi Russ,

Thanks again for all the info. I am indeed in Indiana but unfortunately I will have to do this on the cheap. This is going to be our first honeymoon after being married for 20 years. The nice thing is that she is promoting fishing! I don't necessarily have my heart set on bones, it seems to me that wading flats is something I can do. Albeit my chances of success are pretty slim. I'm game for anything that will take a fly and pull some line. Several years ago I was in the panhandle and caught a bunch of ladyfish in the surf on a six weight. That was a blast that I would welcome again. As for tackle, the 8 wt is the only rod that I will be able to bring. I've been busy tying a bunch of flies - crabs, gotchas, crazy charlies, clousers, decievers etc. I might check into renting a boat for a day, but that is likely the most I'll be able to spring for (another idea from the wife).

As for rod building, the necessary wraps are done and waiting for epoxy. A bit anxious about this as it has been about five or six years since I've done this. I've got a couple of blanks to wrap after this, so maybe this rebuild will motivate me to get on with it!

Thanks again guys,

Peter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster