I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap stripper - Offset or not
Posted by: Pedro Gomez (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 11:36AM

Hi, I am in the process of building a second spiral wrap rod and I have a couple of questions to ask you guys before I can proceed.

First, some spiral wrap methods call for the stripper guide to be offset to the side of the rod's blank to keep the line from winding on one side of the reel only, I understand its purpose but what about if you're using a reel with a level wind that does all the work for you, would is still be an beneficial if you offset the stripper or it wouldn't make a difference with a level wind type reel if you just place it at 0 degrees. I ask this because my first spiral wrapped rod used a stripper guide in the 0 degrees position and I was using a Revo Inshore reel with a level wind and didn't notice any line stacking to one side of the spool.

Also, in the O'Quinn spiral wrap method is the line supposed to touch the stripper and 2-3 transition guides while you're doing the static placement, if so, then which side of the guides the outside or inside.

Thanks,

Pedro

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap stripper - Offset or not
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2011 11:58AM

Level winds will also stack heavy to one side if the lure or plug pulls hard enough. About all you can do is tape up a set of guides and try it for yourself. Or, you can just go ahead and offset the butt guide to one side - there isn't really any downside to doing this.

Date: July 06, 2011 12:01PM

Tom, how many degrees would you recommend for the offset. Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 12:23PM

Pedro,
All guide set ups and reels are a bit different.
The thing that I will do is to tape my guides on the rod in the way that I think works best for the spiral wrap.

Then, I will pull out about 300 feet of line. With someone else putting tension on the line, I will reel the line back onto the reel. If I find that the line stacks one way, I will shift the guide in the direction of the stacking.
If the reel doesn't stack unevenly, I will go ahead and tie up the guides.

For the case where the line has stacked, I will change the angular orientation n the butt guide, retest the line in set up for the rod and continue changing and retesting until I get perfectly stacking on the rod with the reel that I intend to use on the rod.

Generally speaking I find that I offset the butt guide between 5-10 degrees.

Be safe
REW

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 12:43PM

On a Freshwater trolling or live bait rod, we usually use a sz 20 or 25 stripper guide on the "0" (on top) axis, then transition in 2 guide to the 180 (all under)
I like to use all the same guides after the stripper, usually 2 ft for the 2 transition and first 180, then all 1 ft to the end.
Just makes them a little tougher for handling in the boat.
if someone needs the most insurence, then all 2 ft.
One setup I use is Batson XBLXNLG20, 06, 06, 06, XPBFLG06 (1 ft) the rest of the way.
A benefit of the smaller guides is they are a little safer going in and out of a rod box.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: July 06, 2011 01:50PM

Do you guys also offset the first running guide. Any benefits from doing this. Also, when doing the static placement where is the line pressure supposed to be located on the stripper and 2 transition guides, right on top of the guide's bridge / leg (place closer to the blank) or on the side of the ring (pulling downwards).

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 06, 2011 03:07PM

Pedro, it looks like you might be in my area. If it would help any I'd be glad to show you what I built and discuss how I did the static guide placement. It is an 8 foot live bait rod for 15-20# test. I have a small surf caster reel on it (penn 525). It is the "simple bumper" style and I did not offset the butt guide.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mike White "Saltheart" (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 03:55PM

I put the edge of the gatherg guide the line will ride on in the center of the spool. The angle you get depend on how big the id of that guide is.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 05:22PM

We build quite a few conventional tarpon rods for Captains who don't like levelwinds 'one more thing to break', yet their clients are often first timers and often don't pay attention to make sure the line is stacking evenly. If the line stacks too much on one side of the reel it can cause big problems. To help with this, we offset the guide to the left 10 degrees or so 'for right handed reels', now the client only has to 'push' the line with their thumb every now and then, they never have to 'pull' it. It is much more natural and easy for them to push the line rather than put their thumb under it and pull it back.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: July 06, 2011 06:33PM

All great points. I will offset the guide on the spiral wrap rod I am working on. Once again, thank you for all of your help.

Russ, I am waiting on a couple of parts to finish the rod, I will contact you when I am ready so I can bring the rod too.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2011 05:40AM

I don't get it.....!!! I reckon it looks weird to have an offset on the stripper just to lay the line down level and flat, ive never had any problems with line laying over to one side with self levellers on reels and even just the finger to guide the line is better than having a cock-eyed guide.....sorry......just had to say it.....cheers.

Date: July 07, 2011 10:56AM

Owen,
Just do some testing, using different reels and let the line free spool in under tension with no line guiding from your finger. I am guessing that you will find very few reels that will stack line correctly if you have the butt guide set at 0 degrees.

You say that it is weird to have a cock eyed butt guide? The really weird thing is to have 5 cock eyed guides as they wrap around the rod. So, the fact that the first guide is offset a few degrees is no different than having the next few guides offset even more as the line wraps around the blank.

Test, and try and you will become a believer!!

Good fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2011 03:57PM

My first spiral was a "revolver" type with the stripper offset about 10 degrees to the opposite side first, then two more guides at 60 & 120 to the first 180 - this is my main Salmon/Steelhead rod solely because of the blank, not the spiral design. My second spiral used the "bumper" system - works well but I don't like the looks.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - the rest of my spirals have been built this way:

I static test the upper section down to where I feel the first 180 should be. Clamp the handle, put a solid fish fighting flex in the blank, run a string with a weight from the reel thru the tip top, and place the last 2 guides where ever they need to be that puts the line in the exact bottom of the guide ring. I usually cast rigs that run around a 1/2 oz - I think I could cast this much weight on a spiral that went 360 degrees!

What's most important to me is line to guide contact when fish fighting - and whether necessary or not, my first 180 guide loads everytime . . .

Date: July 08, 2011 12:29PM

Roger,
I dont know if i want to become a believer..!!!!!!? lol...
I saw a rod a couple of yrs ago in Fiji with the guides wrapped right around the blank, the first thing i thought was blank twist then unwelcome angled stress on guides, shook my head, walked away and bought a beer...it just seems wrong, pressure going one way on the spine at the tip and the other way at the reel. has any blank manufacturers stood up and said this is putting
unnessasary stress on the blank or given any indications that this is all well and good.?
I might one day bend the stripper on an old rod and hide away in the shed and have a play....i could imagine it would stiffen the blank considerably without a spine.

cheers

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 08, 2011 01:34PM

Owen, it actually puts a lot less stress on the blank. The rods with the most stress are convential reels with normal guide layouts and Tall roller guides.

With the simple bumper method only the butt guide has a lttle sideways pull on it. It is no more than what you would get with a normal layout and a wide reel when line plays off the extreme side of the spool.

The first time you try one there will be no doubt any more. You can easily feel the difference. The heavier the tackle and fish the bigger the difference. But yes, they do look a little strange:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 08, 2011 09:05PM

Owen,
Russell explained it very well.

When you do your spiral wrap, if you do it correctly there will be virtually no force on the side guides. i.e. the line simply rides either higher or lower in the guide as the rod bends.
The line force is felt on the first stripper guide, but mainly on the top guides that are at 180 degrees to the reel - i.e. in the same fashion as a spinning rod setup.

Try one, you really might like it.

Good fishing
Roger

Date: July 09, 2011 02:56AM

We are a little bit backwards over here (some say in actual fact we are that far in front that we are nearly lapping the USA.)..:) (tongue in cheek)
I dont know if dear old OZ is ready for them...never seen one over here.......ever......
I got 12 blanks in 3 weeks ago and will run out this coming Wednesday so the chances of me doing one for myself is fairly slim.....would a 15kg 5'6" short stroker be worth doing it on or the longer the blank the better.?
anyway..........plenty of questions to be asked and plenty of reading before I attempt one... heres no: 1 Can you spiral wrap LW AFTCO Rollers so a spinning reel can be used or would the line sit to far up the side of each roller. (I'm talking 1 - 4kg line here)......
Sorry ................probably best to set one up dry and see for myself......After all, The only way to learn is to make a mistake

Owen,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster