I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying labels instead of writing directly on rod
Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: July 04, 2011 06:36PM

I`m wondering what kind of experiences anyone has had writing on a clear label.The advantages would be many consider my clumsy handwriting and the fact that I usually windup with way too much to write at the end of the space...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying labels instead of writing directly on rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2011 07:01PM

I was reasonably successful in writing on clear Scotch tape (I forget the exact type). I'd apply it to a piece of clean glass, and then use a paint pen to sign my name. Then the tape was removed and transferred to the rod. The only problem I had was the window in which to do this. Wait too long and the paint would crack when you removed the tape. Too soon and you'd end up smearing or running it.

You can probably arrive at a good method to do this with a little experimentation with different types of clear tape and writing instruments.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.212.---)
Date: July 05, 2011 10:52AM

While I haven't tried this, it should work well with the clear Papillo decal media. I know that material will be as durable as it gets. I would use a clear Krylon or Papillo spray over it after writing. Speedball pens/nibs/ink should work well. Give this a try. I am skeptical about scotch tape.

Posted by: Steve Weestrand (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: July 05, 2011 11:34AM

I have also had good results with clear scotch tape. I use a small piece of picture frame glass for writing on. Be sure, though, not to use tape that is too thick, while experimenting with tape, I used a thicker packing tape and the edges curled up on me. I then use a Deco Color pen for the signature. I apply the tape and carefully use my thread pick to smooth it over. You can also gently scrape and form some of your writing if you have a funny spur on a letter. This tip was given to me by a well respected local rod builder.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2011 12:06PM

Hello David,

Interesting you should ask this question! About 5 months ago I had my first customer who requested writing on there rod. My calligraphy art is not what it use to be from my high school days LOL. With that I wanted to go with decal and I did some research on finding a way to do my own decals from home on my many ink jet printers in the house (they sit and do mostly nothing and I paid good money for them).

I recommend this place www.texascraft.com or www.papilio.com They may have what your looking for to get to a solution. Read carefully about there products they have a long list that apply to different applications. After reading ALOT! I found that it takes a special kind of Sheet to make this work. Its called Ink Jet Clear Glossy Vinyl ( IVFG8511KH) for use in INkjet Printers Only! Now This stuff will hold up to the epoxy Flex Coat thus far with no adverse reaction from the glue backing on the film. I can successfully apply about anything I want (within the printers parameters).

Its about $95.00 for 100 sheets and that will last you for a good many rods and I think well worth the investment. Its nice to tell the customer I can put anything you want with any style of font or color within reason. Color can be an issue at times, meaning the back ground color your applying the decal to. If you can manage this the rest is fairly easy following the decal application method mentioned in our library. If you need more information on how I apply this application to my builds just ask and you shall receive! That's all for now have a good day folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 02:29PM

Rick H. Do you have a picture of one of your labels on a dark colored blank? I use white vinyl and then make the background dark with light colored text and images. I haven't been able to make a clear label work well. It comes out barely visible even using silver or gold for text. Any suggestions?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: July 06, 2011 04:27PM

Hello David,

I received your private email and sent you some details and some photos please feel free to share if you like and I hope I answered your questions ! If you have more feel free to ask ! I will tell you what I know.

I posted some pics for you here David enjoy.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2011 04:38PM by Rick Heil.

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: July 06, 2011 11:39PM

Thatr is exhibition grade work there...must take a hour or two...

Date: July 07, 2011 11:01AM

Thank you David for the compliment ! The marbling is the easy part of the application, much less tedious than doing the decal work. In the decal work there is no room for error and can be turned into a strip and redo if you do not follow your steps in the process to the letter. I guess that's part of why we call this a craft Yes? Have a good day today !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster