I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reelseat placement
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 08:40AM

I really don't know how to put this, so here it is, what is the best way to figure out the best place for the reel seat like in balance and casting, i hope you all will have an idea on what I am trying to ask. My rod is 7'3", MHX med heavy power, fast action, if that matters or not, please any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reelseat placement
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2011 09:08AM

that all depends on your preference. long or short depends on the application and/or what works for you. you can put the reel seat anywhere. what is this rod bieng used for? take a finished rod and pick it up, do you want this new rod to have a longer or shorter handle? or you can tape it and move it around until you figure out where you want it.

Date: July 01, 2011 09:13AM

the thing is is that I do not have a 7'3" finished rod on hand, but i was thinking that if I place the seat would feel the same way after all the guides and epoxy and grips are put on, but then that would not give it that much more weight to be concernedx with or would it? Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 01, 2011 10:30AM

Lorenzo, try this.
Fill the reel seat with a piece of regular soft sponge, like a bath sponge. You can wrap it around the blank and ease the seat over it . Sponge can slide fairly easily up and down the blank without scratching it. Water is a safe easy lube if required.
When it feels good to you, its good.
Somewhere between 6 and 12 inches is likely.
The guides plus grips will add mass, but most times almost cancel one another out.
I find it easiest to loosely add the tip top at this stage too and sight down the rod to see straightest edge to build on.
That tip top just makes it easier to see for me and i have tried rolling blanks on glass sheets etc, this is what works for me.
Dry assemble before final glue up and do last bit of tweaking to adjust for the guides etc..
Use a roll of paper from a supermarket checkout register to mark out the whole setup including guides,their type and size,blank type and line /lure parameters and keep it for future reference.
Staple your blank warranty to this paper strip too.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 11:11AM

I most generally tailor it to what the customer wants in relationship to the length of the grip that they want whether it be a full or split grip. Have built as short as 7". and as long as 14". I have a prototype blank that I use and position it to what feels best to that particular client.

Date: July 01, 2011 11:16AM

Thank you for all your help, I will just have to take my time and try different lengths, I tried like 12 inches and then tried like 15, the 12 seemed kinda of forward heavy, and the 15 was alot lighter feeling, guess i will just have to make up my mind. Thanks.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 01, 2011 12:13PM

Lorenzo - what are you wanting to accomplish with grip length?

Balance - what weight is the reel?
Casting - two handed or flick of the wrist one handed?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: July 01, 2011 01:08PM

I'd worry more about casting and fish figthing than balance....but that is just me.

Balance can be taken care of other ways if required.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: July 01, 2011 01:17PM

It all comes down to personal preferance. For 7' casting rods I prefer a 10" to the back of the reel seat. I build for a guy who likes 9 3/4" He has fished with my 10" and says it catches on his shirt. A 1/4" is a huge difference to him. But for spinning he likes 10 1/4". We fish predominantly for river small mouths. Every builder is going to give you a different answer so will every customer. It depends on the blank, application and person using the rod.

Re: reel seat placement
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 01:29PM

Lorenzo,
A agree with the posts - that mention making the butt length of the rod suit the fisherman and style fishing rather than being concerned with balance.

Really for most folks, the butt handle length is much more important than balance.

Also, if you build the rod as light as you can, using the lightest components that you can, the balance generally tends to take care of itself.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 01, 2011 02:59PM

Some good discussion here even though it focuses on split grips:

[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 01, 2011 03:10PM

I would suggest

Take the blank -- Tape the seat on where you think it will work ??

Go out and cast it -- Retrieve the bate

Does it feel good Only you can tell It is a custom - For you If a customer Have him play with it
Let him tell you how it feels

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2011 05:26PM

One small factor. To me, if I am mostly casting heavy lures for the blank I want the reel seat a little further up the rod than "normal". If I am mostly casting light lures for the rod, I like the reel seat a little further towards the back than "normal".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster