I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:39AM

I need a bit of help with rod blank selection.
Last year, while fishing Islamorada, I was spooled by a very large tarpon (the guide's estimate was between 225 and 250 lbs). I like to fish light tackle, and I was set up to handle fish to 100# or so, having been told by a board member that the big fish had already migrated.
I just purchased a Shimano Calcutta 700 reel, and want to build a boat rod for it. Something with plenty of flex in the upper 1/3 or so of the blank, but plenty of cajones in the butt section. A rod that will let a 60 lb fish put on a good show, but will handle the big boys. (Here in Port Canaveral, the big tarpon are present through the summer, fall and winter.)
Any suggestions as to blank choice? Thanks much.

Success is the result of making good choices. Making good choices is the result of experience. Experience is often the result of making bad choices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:44AM

One of the more stout Hot Shot blanks would be a good choice.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.sub-166-249-133.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2011 11:01AM

Gary,
I think you are looking at something more like a GF700/800M or ML.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 11:35AM

Seeker Hercules Inshore Light or Heavy has taken a LOT of 100#+ Tarpon in Trinidad.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 12:06PM

How are you fishing for the tarpon? Out of Canaveral I assume you are drifting pogies in the pods and maybe something similar in the keys. Without more info, my all time favorite tarpon blank is the RCLB80xl. You can throw an unweighted crab a half a mile with it's super soft tip, while its backbone will stop a Mack Truck. The tip is crisp yet flexes enough through the first 1/3rd of the blank to absorb the jumps and head shakes making sure the hook stays put. They are pretty darn light as well.

I use RCLB80xls on my guide trips in Boca Grande and have lost count of the # of Tarpon we've caught between 60 and 200+ on these blanks. We've sold over 20 of them this month alone to clients who fished with me in BG.

www.getbitoutdoors.com

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 12:07PM by Get Bit Outdoors.Com.

Date: June 29, 2011 12:15PM

I fish live crabs and live pinfish. Fishing takes place at Ponce Inlet, Canaveral Bight and in the Keys.

Date: June 29, 2011 02:10PM

10-4, I would highly suggest the Batson RCLB80XL. I personally cut 6 inches off the butt to make the rod 7'6, much easier to handle and get in and out of the truck.

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 29, 2011 03:04PM

I'd go to something stronger. I love the rclb80xl but use it with 15-20# test for a kingfish rod. I would want something much stiffer for tarpon. When those guys want to reach the pilings you need to put the breaks on.

St. Croix used to sell a tarpon blank. I don't know if they still do. It was something like 8 foot, 20-50# rating. It was a beast. If you are willing targeting fish over the 250# mark I'd suggest a stronger reel something closer to a tuna blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2011 03:19PM

I used to build all my tarpon rods on the Lamiglas Tri-Flex series (no longer available longer than 7'0"). I bought a lot of blanks to find a replacement and I found a new, and very nice, option in the St Croix 2SWS76MHF. The blank is built with the new 3M Nano-Matrix technology. It is VERY strong and quite light for the class.

Date: June 30, 2011 10:50AM

Russell, I would agree with you on the RCLB if you need to keep them out of structure but even then, most people don't understand how powerfull that blank is. Keep the rod low, let it load through the entire blank and it will stop a freight train. The Batson boys in WA use it for Monster Sturgeon, when Karry from Batson had me try to break one several years ago at ICAST, I was amazed at the power it had and have been sold ever since.

If you are drifting baits back with the current then there is no reason not to step up to a slightly heavier blank such as a RCLB80L or M. But if you are needing to cast unweighted baits such as crabs or baitfish, the extra distance of the 80xl would definetly be my weapon of choice and it is.

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 30, 2011 11:47AM

Could be me but I always had a hard time getting the hook sunk intheir bony mouth. I just like more of a tradtional MH or H power spin/jig type.

If you know "Doc" he landed a marlin in record time on the 80xl. Quite a testament.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 01, 2011 08:43AM

I use circle hooks exclusively, and they set themselves. I hooked my huge tarpon on a 7'6" Castaway spinning blank rated at 5 power. I had previously caught tarpon of up to 120# on it, and if the fish ate, he was hooked. Every time. So I'm not worried about the hook set. Razor-sharp Owner circles are well worth the money. As for the soft tip, I agree that letting the fish load the entire blank is critical. It's the midsection to the butt of the rod that is going to be doing the work here: those are the guides that are under the most pressure, and the portion of the blank that will be as well. No high-sticking for me...the blank is going to do the work.
I appreciate all the suggestions. Now I'll make my decision and take my chances. Thanks all...

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 06, 2011 04:23PM

seeker hercules inshore heavy is perfect for this. contact billy v.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster