I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

going pro?
Posted by: john backos (170.28.136.---)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:27AM

Gentlemen, when is one ready to go pro? Is there some objective minimum skill level or do you just begin when the first person asks for a rod? I know that many of the examples one sees on the web are from the best of the best, but obviously not everyone can build to that degree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: going pro?
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:35AM

When you have twice the amount of money saved to last the rest of your life.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:35AM

When you have twice the amount of money saved to last the rest of your life.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2011 10:38AM

Can you satisfy the customer? That's really all that matters.

Date: June 29, 2011 10:48AM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you have twice the amount of money saved to
> last the rest of your life.

No kidding, I'm still building personal (practice) rods and I am already hemmorhaging money. This is worse than crack.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 11:05AM

John -
Exactly what Tom said. Rods do not have to be eye-candy to have a happy (repeat) customer. They have to perform well and be "clean" (no glue lines; smooth transitions) and matched to the customer's requirements for "action", "power" etc. Some of my customers come back because they like the decorative work but many more return because the rod does what they want it to at a reasonable price - which usually means leaving off the frills of detailed cross wraps, complex handle designs, wood inserts and the like. Of course these are made available for the customer to choose to have them included - at "cost plus".

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 11:54AM

Tom and Ken nailed it on the head. Be completely honest with your customer as to what you are comfortable with in regards to the build. If one asks for a type of rod that you aren't familiar with or a wrap that you haven't mastered, let him or her know and either do what it takes to master that aspect of the build or pass on it. Going beyond the customer's expectations will repay you ten fold for the extra time spent.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Tom Bittick (---.wcht.ks.pixius.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 12:40PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you have twice the amount of money saved to
> last the rest of your life.

Lol!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2011 12:42PM

If you intend to be in the business for the long haul, you need to be competent enough in a wide variety of rod building skills so that your work will beget more work. That's why I said you need to be able to satisfy the customer. A satisfied customer will tell at least one more person, perhaps two or three. A dis-satisfied customer will tell ten.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 29, 2011 01:56PM

Don't forget that a large part of "going pro" is being able to sell your rods. I know plenty of builders who produce fabulous work but couldn't sell a patch to a one eyed pirate.

I believe you also have to put building in "business" terms. If you are upside down, you're going to be a hobby. You also need to identify WHO you want to sell rods to and if that is a group that can sustain your business.

I agree with Tom to extent about satisfying a customer. If you know what you build and define that well, you can create your own niche and be an expert at it and do well. Very seldom do you see the same person make the absolute best fly, surf, bass, inshore, and boat rods. You can be competent and be happy with it.

Building on Kevin's "pass it on" - another idea is to build partnerships with other builders who specialize in styles you are weak and trade leads or outsource work for each other. Think of it this way - my customer who has 8 rods of mine needs a boat rod. I say "I can't build you the best, but this guy can." The client will likely trust that direction. Another idea is you can have a base knowledge and get your "partner" to build it and throw your label on and you can say you have an expert build them for you. Just a couple ideas.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2011 02:36PM

As far as "pro" goes, the rods I have built for those who fish professionally have all asked for well built rods, no flash, no weaves. I just make sure that I use the resources on this website, CCS testing, NGC placement, member advice etc. My cousin is the hardest to build for because he knows me. Alex D. has helped me a lot in this area because he builds lots of tournament pro rods, as many others here do as well. I am still in hobby mode because I don't actually make a living doing this (no where near it). I would also recommend that you look at some rods specifically built for pros. I think you will be surprised. I would post pics of my recent rods, but there is not really anything flashy, cool, or exciting about them as far as looks go. I would be more than happy to send you a picture or two though, just shoot me an e-mail.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 02:56PM

Thanks Alex for reminding me (and others). Absolutely if the rod is not something you are familiar with or the customer is a long distance away / the rod is a long one-piece) I will absolutely offer the potential customer the contact information of a builder closer to him/her or one that I know understands the local conditions better than I do. I've done this for Hawaiian surf sticks; "monster" unlimited off-shore rods; 13+ foot one-piece rods. Basically I will offer the customer an option that might save him some serious $$ that has nothing to do with the rod per se.

Date: June 30, 2011 02:50PM

Thanks to all for the info and advice.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-196-134.myvzw.com)
Date: July 02, 2011 12:21PM

I decided to start selling rods in Alaska after 30 or 40 rods were built for friends and through word of mouth at cost. It was a hobby that was getting out of hand. That was 1993. I retired in 2003 in Alaska and now live in Montana. As I am now working a job which takes me out of state 3 weeks at a time and then home for three weeks I don't market myself locally as I believe I could have a great little business in the Beaverhead Valley and Dillon Mt. where I live. I am on an exit strategy from my current job.(every time I talk about leaving they give me a raise, Pretty strange in these times.) My point to all this is one needs to be truly ready to make the commitment to the craft. Because, if you have the skill to produce a quality product and a target market it sure can conflict with your other obligations depending on your schedule, time available (to meet deadlines)etc. I learned early on, at least for me, That Kids, job, etc, demanded too much of my time once I found people were out there that wanted to buy from me. It was flattering but I got into a mess and backed off. One has to make all these decisions for themselves. I encourage you to do what you are doing now stay on this site and you can learn so much. One of my biggest mistakes was simply reading every thing I could buy and doing it by myself for so long. My confession here is it has only been the last couple of years I have started connecting with others. I have learned a lot on this and other sites. I have a (long ago) military history and 25 yrs law enforcement background that I just kind of figured out may have contributed to my tendency to be a recluse. THE POINT OF ALL THIS IS TO TELL YOU TO KEEP ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS AND GROW. You can learn much from these builders, and they give so freely. Jees, I haven't said so much since I last went to confession 40 yrs ago.

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2011 10:36AM

Say 1 Our Father and 3 Hail Marys and go on your way and build those custom fishing rods.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-244-254.myvzw.com)
Date: July 03, 2011 11:33AM

That's the shortest Penance I have ever been given!! lol.

Posted by: Jim Meallows (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: July 03, 2011 09:11PM

Once you get paid to build a rod you are a pro. Doesn't matter how many you build or how much you make.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 07, 2011 08:13AM

lmao............a rod building pro..........i spose when you have enough money to live for the rest of your life and have at least twice that amount left over to build rods and i reckon if you know the butt end from the tip end and all the stuff & bits in the middle then you are a pro rod builder......dont kid yourself, if you are in here and have made one rod even for yourself then congratulations, youv'e done it big time....you are a pro already...and pro's know that the next one will be better than the last one...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster