I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Thread Carriage!!! HELP!!!
Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 10:02PM

Okay guys. So it looks like someone in my house broke one of the ceramic hooks on my thread carriage. i never liked it anyhow. I was just curious if i could get an upgraded version or if i could get a new one. An upgraded version would be better. Let me know. Thanks..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Thread Carriage!!! HELP!!!
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 10:37PM

You can have one of my hooks. I never liked the stock set up at all. I made a few mods, and will try to get pics later this week.

Send me an email if you want the hook.

Chuck

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 05:39AM

Could you epoxy a small ceramic guide on as a hook?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 28, 2011 06:30AM

Hello Gabe

Give Todd at MudHole a call I think I got some from them but am not sure (CRS).
If not one of the MFR's is bound to have them just give them a call.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 06:57AM

I think it is a pretty poor set up. I lifted the end of mine while joining the sections together and the carriage slid off and broke one of the ceramic thread hooks off before i even had a chance to use it.

I know it, I know it, I should not have had it on ye, but I idd. I finally put a dab of Rod Bond on the end of the tracks to keep it from coming off.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2011 07:15AM

i always hated the hooks i just don't use them, i let the thread come straight from the spool to the rod,works good.
or if i was you i]'d be inclined to glue a small guide to the carriage.

Posted by: rick detorre (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 08:00AM

i use thread bobbins , $5. @ mudhole and u can have one for each color u are useing, hold it or let it hang over the edge of your work bench .and the carriage is in the way any how . u can even adjust the tension by wrapping the thread around one leg of the bobbin or bending it open or closer together . i rewired my motor for reverse and put a switch in the middle of my work bench , so if i need to back up i just flip the switch and the bobbin is just hanging hit the pedal and back up , dont need to worry about tension when backing , works great for me ...... KEEP ON WRAPPING !!!!!!

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 10:09AM

Hi Gabe,

We have the ceramic hooks in stock as well as the thread bobbins that rick mentioned above. I personally use bobbins or like Michael mentioned, let the thread come righ off the spool to the rod. -Tight wraps.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 02:43PM

i still have the hook. its just that i hate the setup and now have a chance to change it. i remember roger wilson made a modded one with 4 spools. or maybe it wasnt modded. idk.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 07:49AM

Original PacBay / AmTak carriages came with four upright posts (one of which would hold a 4 oz spool) with a single bobbin type tensioner. New ones are two horizontal shafts & each spool tensions separately. Each have their pluses / minuses. I prefer the original carriage because they hold the larger 4oz spools.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 01:35PM

Gabe,
The wonderful thing about items, is that if you don't like it or break it you can make one yourself.

So, with all of the great ideas that float around this forum, take the ideas that you want to use and implement and make your own building aids for wrapping rods.

Generally a bit of time, thought, and effort will result in the perfect item for your particular use. Items like standard rod guides, sewing machine parts, etc. can all be part of your item design and can often be made very inexpensively and will work much better than a commercial unit.

Good wraps.

Roger Wilson

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2011 04:26PM

Gabe,
If you are in a city of a decent size you will have access to many machine shops.
When you dream up your next project, it is often to your advantage to hire the talents of a nearby machine shop to help in the creation of something that you have imagined.
Generally the cost is reasonable and the quality will be high in the finished product.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster