I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Continue to have finish issues?
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 27, 2011 05:05PM

Two different rods with different brand thread (size A). Threadmaster Lite (which is a few years old but no prior issues), mixed in plastic cup over prior dried batch and a new cup as well. Seem to be small pieces of "stuff" here and there even over lable and bare blank. I may be over working the thread when burnishing causing some fuzzies but they still show up where there is no thread. Also tried applying with spatula and new brushes. Only thing I can think of is some lumps in the epoxy but I cannot see anything when mixing. There are no lumps in the left over stuff. These are small about the size of a penciled period.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Continue to have finish issues?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2011 05:08PM

If there is anything at all in the epoxy, it would be small crystallized portions. You can microwave the resin bottle (loosen the cap) for about a half minute to a minute and if that's the culprit, it'll clear up.

You could also buy another epoxy finish kit and just start fresh. If you continue to have this problem, at least you'll know it's not the finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 06:40PM

Bill,
Buy yourself some new guide finish, mix, apply and move on.

Even though finish can last a long time, if you are having troubles, toss the finish, buy a fresh batch and move on.
The work wasted, the $$ wasted is not worth the trying to save a few $$ by using old materials.

Yes, as long as the finish works correctly, go for it.
That is one of the reasons, that if you are doing something or using something that has not been done or used in a long time, to a test first. i.e. in your case, do a test application on another piece of rod blank to be sure that the finish will give you the results that you would like to have on your rod.

Unfortunately, when you run into an issue like this, the most expedient thing to do, is to cut off the guides, wraps and finish and start over.
If you just apply another coat over your coat with issues, you will see the defect through the top coat.

Good wraps.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 08:54PM

Yep the resin had some "grit" around the top. gave it 15 seconds in the mocrowave and do not see it any more. I will whip a test batch up and if the problem is resolved and if not completely gone out it goes! Thanks being somewhat of a perfectionist stuff like this drives me crazy! I could never mak a living building rods but I do enjoy it!

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 10:33PM

Bill, it sounds like you were also using the leftover cups from other batches you had previously mixed. Any dust or particulate in those cups by chance? For the most consistent results, I always use a new cup which I keep stored in a sealed bag. Hope you get it sorted out-good luck.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 07:39AM

I once had a sharp edge on a spatula that scraped tiny bits of plastic off the cup and mixed it into the finish. Finally figured it out and polished the spatula.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: June 28, 2011 11:52AM

Only reuse cup on one project so no issue there. Never thought about scraping the plastic, I will go back to my popcicle sticks! I will do a trial batch tonight and see if it has no trash after heating the resin. I suspect that will fix the issue. Any additional issues I will just toss it out. I looked at a couple of the rods I did with this finish a couple of years ago and they were fine, no problem other than an occasional bubble. I plan to just fish them for a couple of weeks the redo the wraps. That way I can address any problems that should pop up while fishing. Well except lack of fish catches!! I would have gone to new finish but I kept thinking it was something I was doing wrong.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 28, 2011 06:56PM

I always mix in a shot glass. I got that idea here on the forum, and it works great. The smooth rounded bottom makes the mixing easy, and it cleans up with an alcohol wipe ready for another use. I also mix with the small metal spatulas from Mudhole-the one with the rounded bottom is perfect with the shot glass.

Those plastic cups have small nubs on the bottom that interfere with the mix.

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster