I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What size thread for heavy saltwater build
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.fs.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 26, 2011 10:22PM

I'm going to be building a heavy saltwater rod for halibut and would like to know what size thread I should be using for my under wraps and double over wraps.
What say you, saltwater building dudes? :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What size thread for heavy saltwater build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2011 10:33PM

A or even 00 for underwraps, if you choose to use them. Then use D for overwraps.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2011 10:39PM

I'm with Tom,"A" under "D" over

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns17.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 26, 2011 10:46PM

Hi Dave,

Two Schools of thought on this. D overbind is larger an therefore stronger, which is correct. A overbind gives you more threads over the guide foot which is also correct. Probably pros and cons for both. I think thread tension and packing are more important. Binding with both threads with good tension is going to be better than a poor bind with either of the others. You should use as much tension as you can while still being able to move the guides for alignment. Too much and you won't be able to move them. Too little and they'll move too easily. Different types and sizes of thread will need different tensions. It's something you have to work out for what your using. Packing is also important as the better it's packed the more threads you get over the guide foot irrespective of what size thread your using. Personally I use Madeira which is similar size to "A" thread. Use it for both under and overbinding. On 30lb and over I use a double overbind and haven't had any problems.
Choose whatever size suits you best, just get the tension right and pack it well and you won't have a problem.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2011 09:42AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: June 26, 2011 10:48PM

Thanks a lot fellas.
Now I just have to choose my colours. :)

One more question.
When under wraping and or double over wraping what is the best way to get a good looking wrap?
Do you lay on a coat of finish between layers?

Regards
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2011 10:54PM by Dave Orr.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: June 26, 2011 11:27PM

D under, D over

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2011 07:27AM

A very thin layer of epoxy on the underwrap is perfectly acceptable. Otherwise, you'll find that using larger thread over smaller keeps the top layer from digging into the first fairly well.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 11:16AM

Thanks for the info Tom.

Regards
Dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 12:43PM

Dave,
You can use any size thread that you want. The actual total strength of the wrap is a function of the number of wraps as well as the strength of the thread being used.
The total strength tends to be a constant. i.e. finer thread results in more wraps. Coarser thread results in fewer wraps.

However, many folks prefer to use the heavier thread for the outer wraps just due to the durability factor. i.e. thicker thread can take more heavy impacts and ripping and tearing at the rail than is the case with finer thread.
This durability factor is one of the major reasons that builders and users of rods use when they specify the use of a heavier outer wrap for heavy boat rods.

Good luck and happy wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: Adam Edwards (203.15.208.---)
Date: June 27, 2011 07:12PM

Hi Dave

I use A for underwraps and A for double overwraps for heavy saltwater. I regularly fish in 80 - 120 metres of water for Amberjack, Cobia etc. (Australia) Never had an issue.

When the underwrap is on, I apply a very thin coat of epoxy. Very thin means you can still see the individual threads show through. Then overwrap first layer with A, again a thin coat of epoxy. Then second overwrap and finish as normal.

Regards Adam

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2011 06:10AM

hi dave , if you are building a heavy (depending what poundage it is) spinning rod i would be inclined to double underbind using A thread in a NCP. (so you don't have to use CP,so epoxy soaks in)
you can do both double underbind than thin coat thinned down with metholated spirits so it soaks right in.than double overbind the guide with NCP, A thread than apply another thinned down epoxy, let cure than second reguler coat of epoxy.
if you are building an overhead, single underbind than double overbind, thin down epoxy first coat and reguler second coat.
you can also use C size thread in NCP, just the A size is a little less bulky with that many layers.

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2011 06:12AM

i hope that helps

Date: June 28, 2011 08:06PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. :)

Regards
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster