I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IP840 Build Question
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.52.---)
Date: June 26, 2011 05:14PM

I'm about to order a couple IP840s to build as a panfish rod for someone and myself. Typically, my spinning outfits have been 25-16-10-7-4s to tip or 25-16-10-4s to tip. I'm looking to use possibly the minima guides or the k series. It is going to be built as a split grip. Not sure if I'll use a TN handle or a aero seat.
What setup is best for panfish?

K-series -
20-12-8-4s to tip?

Minimas - I have never used these, so I need suggestions. (I may end up going with these)

I believe he'll be using mono only or floro.

The guy I'm building for wants a good blank, is there a better blank than this anyone would recommend? How does this blank compare to the Loomis TSR791S GLX?

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy W. Reed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IP840 Build Question
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2011 05:36PM

I just built a 7' C844.1 Hydra blank with 25, 12, 7, then 4's to the tip (I used Kigan no-tangle guides). It works great. Very light and good casting distance.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2011 06:05PM

take a look at the M style guides. they are available in the minimas. use an M style for your butt guide then use Y guides for transition and fly for runners. the M guide will give you the height without having to use a large ring size. for a light build you can easily use a 16 for the butt and maybe a 12 then go down from there. it will reduce the guide size and weight.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2011 06:19PM

Jeremy,
I just finished a build on that blank with Minimas - using sizes similar to what you posted.
The rod came out fine and the client is well satisfied.

The minima guides are so light that casting is effortless.
Also, as with any setup, use the fewest possible for your particular setup.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.52.---)
Date: June 26, 2011 07:00PM

How does the XP840 compare to the IP840? Any noticeable difference?

On the minima setup, would the following work 16m-12m- rest 4s or 12m-6m-4s ? Other setup?

Thanks,

jwr

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2011 07:50PM

it is hard to say exactly which will work until you set it up...buy a few extra guide sizes and then just see which ones work best for your rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2011 10:36PM

Jeremy,

My IP840 uses 20Y, 10Y, 5F, 3Fs to the tip (Y=Alps XY, F=Batson Fly/Micros), split Tennessee handle. I also have another panfish travel rod, SB720-4, with 16M, 8M, 5F, 3Fs to the tip 18mm seat with 7" cork rear grip. Both rods are paired with Quantum sz10 reels. Both guide trains work well enough to satisfy me. To be honest, you can't go wrong either way. If I fished slip floats more often with nail knot bobber stops, I would probably rewrap with 4mm or 5mm running guides. If you don't trim the tags off extremely close, they tend to hang a bit on the way out in the 3s.

I haven't handled any of the RX8 models, so I can't comment on the differences, but the IP840 is a very fine blank for the money.

Joe

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 10:43AM

Jeremy, The XP840 is lighter and a little faster 'crisper action'. The finish on the ip840 is matte while the finish on the xp840 is Titanium Chrome.

The Minimas would be my suggestion for weight reduction.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2011 12:48PM

Jeremy,
Don't get too hung up on guide sizes. Just use the guides that make sense to you, for your casting needs that are in line with the intend to use on the rod, and the type terminal tackle you intend to use on the rod.

i.e. if you intend to use snaps, swivels, large knots or tag ends that need to pass the tip or guides, go with larger guides. Also, if you intend to use in in the cold spring or fall or winter, when you may encounter freezing water and icing guides, then go larger.
Otherwise, just use the guide size, type and location that gives you the results with the rod that y ou want it to have.

Any guide will cause the line to follow the contour of the blank. Obviously the fewer and lighter, the less weight you will add to the guide, which , in general tends to make the rod more enjoyable to use.

But all of the final decisions are up to you. Build the rod in a way that makes sens to you and to the person that is going to use the rod.

Remember on a light action rod like that that is likely to be using limp light line - whether it is mono or braid, you likely don't need to go very large in the guide sizes to get excellent results with your rod.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.credit-agricole.fr)
Date: July 19, 2011 09:18AM

I'm building two XP840 (one for my son and one for me).

The son rod use Fuji BYAG20/12/7 then BLAG4 (x6) and a BMCAT4.5(4.0) for tip.
It cast very well and it's very light.

My XP840 is not finished yet, it will be Minima 4 XM4XG16/08(perharps 10)/06 then XF4XG04 (x6) and American Tackle MicroLock Nanolite NCRLMT4(4) for tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster