I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide choices
Posted by: PAUL Ross (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 04:20PM

I starting two rods one is for tarpon and one id for grouper off the bottom. I looking for guides that will handle the salt water I am fishing braids and need some thin that can take the fast runs and extended fight of tarpon and horse grouper out of the holes in the reef an suggestions as all ways thanks for the help Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide choices
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2011 04:28PM

Billy Vivona would be able to help I'm sure. He's in the member directory.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: PAUL Ross (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:29PM

how do I find him where is the member directory

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 11:10PM

Paul, free to give me a call. I guide Tarpon trips in Boca Grande May-June and understand the beating that tackle goes through while fighting these brutes. . One thing is for sure, you want a soft tip to feel the bite and absorb the head shakes/jumps while you also need a backbone that will stop a Mack Truck. Whichever frames you choose I would highly suggest SIC or Zirconia rings with a flanged tip top. For spinning rods I love the Batson rclb80xl, bottom rods rclb80L. Not sure how you are fishing for them etc...but give me a shout and I'll offer as much info as I can. 407--448-3635

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 24, 2011 06:19AM

Hello Paul

American Tackle Virtus Heavy guides are what you need, Billy Vivona from NERBS, thier web site is listed to the left.
The Virtus are Titanium with NanoLite Rings, plenty tough enough.

Happy Builds.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2011 08:11AM

Double-footed "MN" series Fuji guides are my choice and they perform admirably ... never an issue. Any of the ceramic inserts will hold up - that isn't an issue. The most common options would be a layout using BMNAG or MNSG guides. To help combat corrosion, you could move up to ICMNSG guides.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: June 24, 2011 08:39AM

The standard fuji guides used type 304 stainless. If you always washed your rods they would last a reasonable time but not forever. Now you can buy a type 316 stainless frame and that is likely to last forever. Titanium is even better and lighter but not as physically resistant to being bent repeatedly.

As Jim states all the ceramic inserts will do. SIC is the best but Nanolite/Zirconia are pretty close. I like the Virtus line and the lights will do for 40# and under. Use the heavy ones if fishing higher pounds teast. The Alps line is good too. Fuji is proven but I think you pay for the name.

You appear to be in my area. Feel free to email me if I can help.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 24, 2011 12:21PM

Alps MXN's. All 316 stainless with either hard oxide or zirconium rings. Can't find many better guides.

Posted by: Natalie Teague (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2011 04:12PM

I love the SIC guides with titanium frame especially with braid. We used the MNSG on our bottom rods for grouper. I love the seeker hercules blank for grouper, caught so many on them and these pulled up 350 goliaths in a few minutes no problem. Billy is the guy to talk to about these amazing blanks, check out the videos and pics of them. I have never had any rings pop out on any of my fuji SIC guides, you cant beat them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster