I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building kit?
Posted by: Randy Gunter (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:12AM

Hi, names Randy. I am wanting to start building my own rods and was looking at a few web sites like the mudhole, jannescraft, etc.... Anyhow, I dont really know what I do or dont need to get started. I have looked at a few "kits" and thought that seeins how I dont really know what I need that would be the best route to start. Once I build a few then, I would have a better idea of what would suit my needs. Now, I guess what I was wanting to know was who offers the best kit for someone like me.
Thanks.
P.S. Gonna be building Bass fishing rods. FYI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2011 09:20AM by Randy Gunter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building kit?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:35AM

The very best thing you can do is pick out a sponsor to the left and make a phone call. If you explain what you're going to be fishing for, and how, someone will be able to provide you with a "kit" that is tailor made for you and your type of fishing.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:46AM

Randy,

After reading your message, I went to Mudhole's' web site and checked out what they currently have listed for beginner rod building kits. I am not sure how much you have budgeted.
I started with out any equipment, but had a close friend loan me what I needed.

There is one kit I noticed on the Mudhole's site, which includes everything you will need, including a rod dryer. A rod dryer is almost a "must have" or you will be turning a rod few a number of hours until the epoxy sets up.

Here is the link to the rod building kit to which I referred above:

[www.mudhole.com]

I noticed Mudhole has this kit on sale right now with a $50 discount. If this is to "pricey" for you budget, then you can go with a less expensive kit, but I was impressed with everything included in the Mudhole kit.

Welcome to the joys and pleasures of rod building.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:52AM

In my opinion, the Mudhole starter kits are what I'd start with, matter of fact I did.
Now, if you're planning on taking your time, and you should with this being your first one, I would go with one of the MHX kits. You'll love the feel of the blanks, high quality components and the finished product.
Or give them a call and tell them what you have in mind and let them guide you through the process of picking out components that will be just what you need.
Or shot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to walk you through your first one.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.7.89.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 10:03AM

Hey, Randy, welcome. You've found the best place to come to learn about rodbuilding. I think I'm not too far away from you, and will be glad to help you pick out stuff.

Date: June 23, 2011 11:34AM

I have checked on a mudhole rod building class. There will be one in my area in october. Is it worth the 160 bucks to attend? Thanks

Date: June 23, 2011 11:36AM

Donald R Campbell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Randy,
>
> After reading your message, I went to Mudhole's'
> web site and checked out what they currently have
> listed for beginner rod building kits. I am not
> sure how much you have budgeted.
> I started with out any equipment, but had a close
> friend loan me what I needed.
>
> There is one kit I noticed on the Mudhole's site,
> which includes everything you will need, including
> a rod dryer. A rod dryer is almost a "must have"
> or you will be turning a rod few a number of hours
> until the epoxy sets up.
>
> Here is the link to the rod building kit to which
> I referred above:
>
> [www.mudhole.com]
> ng-Supplies/Complete-Accessory-Kit-w-Drying-Motor
>
> I noticed Mudhole has this kit on sale right now
> with a $50 discount. If this is to "pricey" for
> you budget, then you can go with a less expensive
> kit, but I was impressed with everything included
> in the Mudhole kit.
>
> Welcome to the joys and pleasures of rod building.

This is definately not out of the budget. I was hoping to find a kit for around 200. Thanks.

Date: June 23, 2011 11:52AM

Randy Gunter Wrote:
> I have checked on a mudhole rod building class.
> There will be one in my area in october. Is it
> worth the 160 bucks to attend? Thanks

Very much so.

[rodbuilding.org]

Where are you located Randy?

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afnoc.af.mil)
Date: June 23, 2011 12:28PM

Don't buy a tool kit.....

The only tool I find to be a necessity is my cork reamers, which I make from old rods, there is a writeup on it in the Library on this site.

A dryer is nice, and I use one, but I have in the past gone without it and received better results doing the sag and turn method. I just don't have 6 hours to wait for finish to set(pro kote)

The rest is simple tools and innovation to find what you can do with what you have.

I do have a hand wrapper, but my first 6 rods were wrapped by hand, holding the rod in my hand with the thread in cup run through a phone book for tension.

Date: June 23, 2011 01:07PM

I am about 20 mins north of Jacksonville FL. Up interstate 95 in the first town when you cross the state line into georgia. Kingsland Ga.

Date: June 23, 2011 02:48PM

Randy Gunter Wrote:
> I am about 20 mins north of Jacksonville FL. Up
> interstate 95 in the first town when you cross the
> state line into georgia. Kingsland Ga.

Very familiar with the area. I spent a lot of time in Waycross, Nahunta & MacClenny in high school. I married a girl from Green Cove Springs, FL just south of Jax.

It's a bit of a drive to Orlando from there but very doable, if you so choose.

Posted by: Randy Gunter (---.cncrtn.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 09:59PM

Think I will stick with the 20 min drive vs the 2 hour drive.

Date: June 27, 2011 10:19AM

I was told to find a sewing machine motor with a foot control for a wrapper. Would this work or is it to high of an PM? Thanks

Brand New Sewing Machine Motor and foot control. This is a true .9 amp motor not a lower grade .5 amp motor. Almost double the power. Motor runs counter clock wise. Variable speed control . 110V . Motor runs at 7000 rpm. Can also be used for spooling fish line and a lathe. Motor is very versatel and can be used and adapted to many different machines and used for different applications.. You will also receive an extra set of carbon brushes and a free 14" belt..

Will fit Most of the older machines where the motor bolts on the side of the machine under the fly wheel.

Like Singer 15 class machines ,HA1 , Singer 15,66,99,99K and many,many others.

[]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster