I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX8 fly blanks
Posted by: Dale Holmes (117.242.184.---)
Date: June 22, 2011 12:18PM

Hi all,

I would like to build a fairly fast action 6wt fly rod for myself - for trout fishing on larger rivers and lakes - and I am considering trying an RX8 from Batson.

I have had great success with several Batson spinning blanks and also an RX7 5wt fly blank.

Does anyone have any experience with the RX8 fly range and how do you think the performance compares to any other "premium" fast action rods from Sage, Loomis etc?

Thanks

Dale

Hobart
Tasmania, AUS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX8 fly blanks
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2011 12:45PM

the batson is a great blank..st croix, mhx, dan craft, and cts are all good as well..i don't think you could go wrong with the batson..contact scott at fishsticks..he has some fishcreek blanks that are very similar to the cts and nice as well..

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2011 02:20PM

I have a Batson RX8 in a 6wt and my son has it in an 8wt. The rods are definately fast action, much faster than your RX7. I would rate them with equal to most midrange fast action rods and a little below the top of the line name rods. They are reasonably light with a good backbone and a somewhat stiff tip. If you want to be able to crank out a distant cast in the wind, the RX8 will do it. Not exactly a finesse rod though.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2011 05:35PM

Dale, I built a 6wt on a RX-8 blank and I found that it was a bit too stiff it the tip for my taste. It would cast a ton of line with a heavy streamer or nymph rig, but it would not do well if I had to drop down to 6x tippet when running double and triple nymph rigs. I recently built an Affinity X 906-4 on a CTS Blank. Really sweet rod. It will cast very well over a wide range of distances and the tip is soft enough to run down to 6x tippet if you need to. I use it mostly for deep water nymph fishing in large rivers with heavy current. It will also cast heavy streamers with ease. Your gona pay a bit more for this blank but it is worth it.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: June 22, 2011 08:32PM

If I could add on a question about these RX8 Fly blanks...

I want to build an 8-9 weight for throwing a weighted fast sink line for Coho Salmon. Some of the casts are quite long. Would this be an appropriate blank, and how would it compare to say an MHx 9wt? I have been torn between these two for some time and need to make a decision and build before the end of August.

Thanks,

Drew

Posted by: Chip Clark (24.224.117.---)
Date: June 22, 2011 09:20PM

You might also consider the XLS blanks from Composite Developments in New Zealand, which I know you can get in Oz. I have a CD XLS 6 weight, and it is my favorite among several similarly sized rods, including several Sage and Orvis fast action 5 and 6 weights.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2011 11:15PM

MHX would have a bit more flex, but the RX8 would generate a bit more line speed. Either blank would be a good choice for your application.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 23, 2011 02:32AM

Drew,
The RX8 will work well for you.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mobile.mymmode.com)
Date: June 23, 2011 10:08AM

I once built an rx8+ 9' 5wt. It was heavier than a Sage 6wt zaxis, and when I put a 5wt line on it, I felt it the line was too light...I kept going up line weights until I put my 8wt line on it, where for me, it felt like the rod was finally fully loaded, and I could cast into the backing with ease...I used to cast at the Oakland casting ponds weekly bass bug tournaments, and it easily threw a bass bug to the farthest 70' target...
However, casting fly rods varies by person...what feels right for me may not apply to anyone else...that's why there are so many blank choices by so many companies...so you can find which you like best...

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: June 24, 2011 06:49PM

Just to add a few Props for Batson Enterprises----I called Batson for advice and was put through to Karry Batson who took my call personally. From what he said it sounds like the RX8 will fit my needs perfectly. He even had advice about other places to go in Alaska, and other similar info.

I was extremely impressed with the customer service and appreciated the advice. I'm going to add an RX8 to the RX8+ I already have.

Drew
Sacramento, Ca

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-220-27.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2011 09:15AM

This looks like it has been pretty well covered but I'll throw in a little. I built myself a RX8+, a very fast action. I have built several RX8's for customers with a lot of positive feedback. I am very impressed with Batson Enterprises efforts on this series of blanks. Many of the rods I build are fished in Montana, as that is where I am and my client base. I tend to talk this series of blanks up based on the ones I fish myself. A great value. I would only caution one to use the fast action fly blanks based on application and skill level. Otherwise a fast action fly blank can be a bit frustrating if ones casting ability is not been developed. If so you can end up with a new earring. I only say this because I bought fast action blanks many years ago "because it was the thing to do" and I was not ready for it. I was on the Anchor River in Alaska and received the first earring of the spring Steal head run. But it was a nice egg pattern.

Doug Webb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster