I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly guides?
Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 19, 2011 12:51PM

are the new mini single foot guides better than the wire snake guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly guides?
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 01:32PM

I certainly do like building and using them. but a lot is determined on what the client wants, not just my personal preferences.

Ron Weber

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 01:54PM

I like the single foots because they require one less wrap, making them lighter and less work. On the other hand, snakes allow "fat" knots, like a loop to loop connection to pass easier.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2011 01:57PM

What are you building ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 19, 2011 04:44PM

well i have a sage rod that i built like 30 yrs ago lol. looks brand new still.at the time i put two small singlefoots on and the rest to the tip are snakes.im going to be using the rod some this year and was wondering if the other guides worked better then the snakes. re doing the rod is not a problem, probly would be fun now lol.

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2011 10:33PM

I personally prefer the single foot guides. My favorite fly rod has single foot guides...I really can't say about snake's passing bigger knots, I only use nail knot connections. Probably all comes down to personal preference, my old man loves snake guides. To each his own. If you like it and it fishes well for you then there's nothing wrong with it. Good luck with your build
Matt

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2011 08:23AM

I would use single-foot guides on trout/panfish rods but double-foot (snake) guides on big fish/salt water guides.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 24, 2011 12:38AM

Mike, You asked if the new mini guides are better than snake guides for a fly rod. I use single foot wire guides on most fly rods. The "mini" guides are for spinning and casting rods. Has anyone been using mini guides on fly rods?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster